DSC + Envisalink 4 + smartthings-dsc-alarm-server

Hi,

I am newbie to this whole Python thing bupt am pretty technical myself. I have installed the Envisalink 3 and trying to setup alarmserver (kholloway’s version) to run on my PI2 . I pretty much follow all the documentation and rename and mod the alarmserver.cfg file (changing Host to point to my envisalink internal ip address instead of “envisalink”, other than that I dont think anything else need tweaking. However, I cannot figure out why everytime I try to run the server I receive the following… have been sitting on this for 2 weeks searching but cannot understand … so I am seeking help here so that I can move on… thanks in advance

pi@raspberrypi ~/AlarmServer $ ./alarmserver.py
Using configuration file alarmserver.cfg
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “./alarmserver.py”, line 626, in
config = AlarmServerConfig(conffile)
File “./alarmserver.py”, line 77, in init
self._config.read(configfile)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/ConfigParser.py”, line 305, in read
self._read(fp, filename)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/ConfigParser.py”, line 512, in _read
raise MissingSectionHeaderError(fpname, lineno, line)
ConfigParser.MissingSectionHeaderError: File contains no section headers.
file: alarmserver.cfg, line: 1
’\xef\xbb\xbf[alarmserver]\n’

Out of curiosity because I don’t think this is complicated enough… I don’t have an ethernet connection near my Honeywell control panel. Would it be possible to go Panel > EVL-4 > Patch Cable direct to Rasberry Pi Server w/ wifi dongle? If so, what else would I need running on the little server to bridge the wifi network and the evl? (Or is there a better solution Im missing?)

Hello,

It sounds like the file is not readable or contains special characters that are causing the parser to fail. How did you edit the file? Can you try a different method?

Luis

use a wifi bridge on your evl-4. they are really cheap and should work fine.

Hi Luis

i use the editor in the GUI interface to edit… save as txt … rename as cfg… it may be the case… any other program you recommend using?

Thanks

The editor may not be the problem, sometimes copying from one platform to another is the issue. For example, if I copy from a web page I usually will paste it into a text editor then copy back out to the app I want to use. Usually when you paste into the text editor it will show special chars.

Hope that helps!

Hi Luis,

Not a problem…glad you are trying to help and taking the time to response… you were right it was the editor I using pico fixed the problem. But nw it seems like I got the the server running with no complain (I think… because on the raspberry screen i see communication with the envisalink module), some how I cannot use “https”//xxx.xxx.xxx:8111" to see the alarmserver interface. I am not sure if it is the SSL certificate generation steps… I have tried many times and may be it is typo on my side… it always fail at the very last step (the step where you generate the token)… Is it right that if I don’t get the SSL step the server will not be truely online? The other thing i can only think of is somehow my internal network is blockling of the 8111 port… I just have to go and got through all the conifg…little baby steps…

Thanks again

2016-01-24 04:57:45 Incoming web connection from (‘XXX.XXX.XXX’, 49723)
error: uncaptured python exception, closing channel <main.AlarmServer listen ing :8111 at 0x76538c10> (<type ‘exceptions.ValueError’>:certfile must be specif ied for server-side operations [/usr/lib/python2.7/asyncore.py|read|83] [/usr/li b/python2.7/asyncore.py|handle_read_event|443] [./alarmserver.py|handle_accept|4 56] [/usr/lib/python2.7/ssl.py|wrap_socket|891] [/usr/lib/python2.7/ssl.py|ini t|498])

The above is the what happen when I connect and start up the alarmserver… and then use one of my desktop to access the alarmserver using https://xxx.xxx.xxx:8111

is this somethign to do with the certificate?..Thanks

i do think it is the not working because i have not generate the ssl cert correctly… however i am stuck in the sense of what FQDN i should be using when generating the cert for my server… i do not have a public domain register… and i do not think alarmserver.local is qualified as fdqn… any help is appreciated.

If you use the version I posted this week you don’t have to worry about certs or https.

hi isriam … can you send the link … I will give it a try… spinning my wheels here for the past week… getting no where…not sure what is wrong. txs

How did you make out?

I tried setting up alarmserver->smartthings–>envisalink using the version from kholloway’s and Isriam’s version…both getting no where…

kholloway’s version… I tried follow the readme.md step by step and for some reason I cannot get it to generate the token access code… there was one time I tried using the incognito windows and it works… however I was then stuck at what’s the next step. I think somehow I have to mod the alarmserver.cfg file to include the ID , token etc…but being a newbie, I am not quite sure what need to add… so after reading isriam msg above… I erased everything and reload using isriam version…

With Isriam version… everything seems good all the way up to the point of getting the toke access code… I checked (marked) the sensors that I will need and clicked “authorized” … but it keeps giving me the dialogue box of “at lease one device must be selected…” eventhough I have selected all…so cannot get pass that step…

any help is appreciated. txs

Hey did you fully get this to work? I am in the same position as you (were). Where did you find step by step or documentation how to deploy alarm server in Pi2 and the get ST to communicate to envisilink?

Hi @isriam, I have the same issue with the cert. but I can’t fine the link you mention. Could you please post it here?

1 Like

Do you recommend the Arduino or Envisalink method? I have DSC PowerSeries 832 alarm system with 32 zones plus fire alarms. The Envisalink method seems cheaper (I already have a Pi or server to use), but I also have experience with Arduino. Also, do you know which one would be more reliable? Thanks!

Can anyone post the full instructions to install DSC Alarm server, I was unable to find clear instruction to install it on Rasberry pi or windows computer.

4 Likes

+1 Would love it if someone could point out a step by step to getting Alarm Server installed on RaspberryPi. I am pretty technical but total noob to RaspberryPi.

1 Like

Why couldn’t you just use your mobile login hash to extract alarm/sensor settings?