Well, I’ve just finished integrating smartthings with my DSC Alarm system via an Arduino Shield.
That was quite a project, but it’s well worth it.
I changed a little bit the code from obycode to make it more responsive. I significantly increased the baud rate from 9600 over the RS-232 serial port (I haven’t seen this kind of port since the late '80!).
I implemented system status checks in the driver to be able to report any error messages up to the Smartthings UI. For example, if I have a wireless sensor’s low battery error, I will able to see it in Smartthings.
Thnx to all previous developers who made that system integration much easier to bear (amongst others: obycode and vassilis)
Now, I can use all my wired and wireless sensors for my future home automation projects!
N.B. During the integration process, I encountered some Smartthings UI issues related to sensors’ updates (android 4.4). I submitted the issue to support. Still waiting for an answer…
I have an old Powerseries 832 (PC5010) that I would like to do this with. I chose this way because I don’t want to run anything on my computer and I have some experience with Arduino. I have a few questions. How easy was this project? Do you get all your motion sensors and door sensors individually in Smartthings? Can you control sirens? Thanks!
It looks a little scary because there’s wiring, Arduino, etc. but its really not too bad, especially if you’ve already got some experience with Arduinos. I would definitely suggest going for it. It’s easily my favorite integration in my SmartThings setup. You get a bunch of “free” sensors, you still have the reliable, hard-wired alarm, but also the benefits of smart sensors, and now you can arm/disarm/check status from anywhere.
Hi there! I have a DSC 1555 and I don’t know if it’s compatible with IT-100. I saw there is another model, the DSC 1555MX, that I don’t know if it’s the same model as I have (as the MX it’s not specified as you can see in the picture). Anyone would know if my model is compatible? Btw, this is the manual http://cms.dsc.com/download.php?t=1&id=13792
Hi. I am walking through this setup and I am having some trouble. It seems I have everything connected and installed as specified. I can see the system in SmartThings. I can click on any of the alarm buttons or refresh and the RS232 TX and RX lights flash briefly. It seems all of that is stacked and programmed correctly. I then have the Null modem RS232 cable connecting the RS232 board to the IT100. The IT100 is connected to the alarm panel. I have redone this part 4 times now. The IT 100 has a green light that continuously flashes. No other lights seem to light up. When I press a button in Smart Things when it makes the RX and TX lights flash on the RS232 board, it does not change the lights/make them flash differently then the continuous steady green flash.
My conclusion is that something is up between the IT 100 and the DSC 5010 panel. Again, I have checked the wires several times and it seems it is connected, but does anyone have any suggestions for me?
// Now increase the baud rate
Also, in Serial Monitor, please make sure that your baud rate for listening to your port is set to 9600 as this is the default speed set in the sketch (you can change the baud rate usually at the bottom right corner).
If it works, then you can increase the speed up to 115200 (if you want) or leave it at 19200 (refer to alarmSetBaudRate() call)
When done with your debugging, you should comment out the DEBUG_ENABLE flag as you don’t want to do this kind of tracing normally, and upload the sketch again.
P.S. In order to test the code properly, use a nearby motion sensor and wave at it to see if the zone status will be changed.
Also, did you look at the following thread?
Many ST users have the same questions about this setup, and you can find some answers in the thread.
Thank you. I did miss that thread. Your comments here and that thread was helpful.
My issue was the RS232 required 19200. Also, my RS232 shield is a combo and includes RS485. I missed the switch as it defaulted to RS485. Also, this RS232 board had a switch between UART and Softserial. It was on SoftSerial. I switched it to UART. These three combined fixed the communication issues.
I can now arm/disarm and see the status of the system.
i spent a lot of time understanding the code and can see each of my 8 zones work in the “recently” under the Home Security Thing.
What isn’t working is setting up each zone as its own thing. I’ll keep reading/re-reading to understand where I am in error. Right now, each thing that comes in through the Smartthings app just shows open. Somehow I am missing the connection between the zone and the “thing.” imported.