Dryer Monitor Device SmartDry

I am just wondering if anyone has used this device. I just ordered it from amazon. I have a electric dryer and the vibration sensors and other methods have not yielded the best results. Hoping this will be the answer.
http://www.laserlightsolutions.com/dolaundrysmarter.html

I like gadgets so I am embarrassed to say I just got one.

Seems to work.

My wife sets the timer on the dryer to 1 hour. Without this gadget the dryer would run for the full hour.

After 15 minutes it says everything is dry.

I go over and everything is dry.

1 Like

Thanks, I think I am going to order. Just not ready to buy a new dryer but excited to have this alert.

Is there anything like this for the washing machine?

So far so good, we get to shut dryer down 15 minutes early. No smartthings, ifttt or Google Assistant integration yet though, only Alexa and you have to ask it for status. So basically the app alerts you only.

I absolutely love this device. However, it’s smart but dumb. The only shortcomings I have had in the last 6 months are as follows:
Integration limited to Alexa push notification.
The Washing machine triggers false alerts.
Intermittently stop getting alerts.
HMI
Andriod - HMI is basic but has general information needed. Inside the settings, you can select the temps for dryness levels and delicate cycles, and Fahrenheit or celsius.
four alerts (push notifications)
Dryness (less dry, dry, very dry)
dryer stopped
delicate load
follow up alerts

IOS - HMI is very similar with some differences. On the home page, you have the same alerts with the exception of follow up alerts. In the IOS app Follow up alerts were moved to the settings page. Where it is also noted follow up use a 3-minute timer (not noted in Andriod). Replacing follow up alerts on the home page is timed dry alerts. You can manually specify the time, this feature is not available on android. The function of setting actual dryness temperature is removed on IOS settings.

I only hope that they combine the features of the two apps and open integration.

The same company is working on one for the washer.

This device DOES work with smartthings, I have it added. The integration is in beta, but you can contact smartdry to help set it up

How is the device in general? Does it do what they say? If so, it would be worth every penny. Even without ST integration.

Yes it does as advertised. I have not used the Alexa integration outside of setup because I’m working on pulling information I want from the notifications with tasker. The app interface is kind of lacking but :man_shrugging:t2: It functions very well.

1 Like

First impressions… WOW just saved me an additional 20 mins of drying that was unnecessary. Successfully integrated with SmartThings Connect, ST Classic and Home Assistant without issue.

Setup SmartDry to use the ST Classic SmartApps BigTalker and EchoSpeaks to verbally announce when the moisture sensor has changed to Dry “Excuse Me Sir, the laundry is now dry. Please let me know if I should stop the dryer?” Also used the same apps to verbally announce using the motion sensor “Excuse me sir, the dryer is now drying” when it is in motion and “Excuse me sir, the dryer has stopped, please check if the laundry meets your satisfaction.”

On my 3rd load of laundry today, they would have been running a lot longer without this sensor/notification system. Any smart plugs safe for a large appliance, would be great to trigger a shut off?

1 Like

I’m somewhat of a novice when it comes to much programming. I follow directions well though. What process did you go about to get the device setup in ST?

Thanks for sharing.

Here you go…

You’ll have to purchase the SmartDry first cause you’ll need the sensor ID and an email address to become a part of the BETA program if still available… I emailed them before my purchase using the information found on this page: http://www.laserlightsolutions.com/dolaundrysmarter.html

I have saved 10 - 15 mins of drying on each load of laundry. I think only one time did I manually set the dryer time properly myself and didn’t have need the SmartDry notification.

So those that have this product are, I’m sure, aware they have about 4 weeks left before the company shuts down the servers.

Anyone figured out a way to continue using it after 9/30?

I have been trying to work out dryer alerts for my electric dryer for the past few weeks and every time I think I have it just right, I start getting all sorts of false alarms.

The smartdry would be a great solution and I would go track one down on eBay or something if we knew we could keep using it moving forward.

What? I have been using smartdry for maybe 2 years: was not aware that they are going out of business.

Thanks for the heads up

Turns out if you run homeassistant, you might be able to keep it going:

This is a bit over my head but I’ll probably give it a shot.

@Mariano_Colmenarejo @ygerlovin @csstup any chance on of you can create a driver for the SmartDry sensor? looks like it’s HA users found away. any help will be much appreciated. We only have 5 days until this is killed on 9/30

Note that the home assistant folks got it working by adding an additional server device on their local LAN to take the place of the company’s cloud which is shutting down. So just an edge driver won’t do it. It will need additional code as well.

1 Like

You’re only hope here is @TAustin and I doubt there is enough demand for his time on this

1 Like