Drayton wiser home thermostat

Hello folks. I’m looking to buy some trvs. I have been looking at wiser trv but need to know if it’s possible to connect these directly to ST (in UK with ST v2 hub) without using the wiser heat hub. I want to avoid another hub if possible. If not I may have to go for zwave trv such as LC-13. Any advice would be much appreciated. I currently have a zwave room stat and boiler controller but wanted to start using zigbee more as products seem much cheaper e.g Xiaomi Aqara

Hi John, the wiser trv’s need the wiser hub as all control is done through the hub it’s self.

Regards Mark.

I would change this statement after trying to connect any of the TRVs directly to your SmartThings Hub. If you check the description of the communication standard what Wiser uses, you might think, that is like Zigbee.
I’ve actually 7 TRVs and one thermostat, all connected to my SmartThings hub, directly without the Wiser hub.

I’ve never had a chance to connect the Wiser hub to my heating system. The system is generally over complicated, so no chance to replace the current controller. I’ve tried to pair one of the TRVs to my SmartThings hub, and it did show up. I have never tried the TRVs with the Wiser hub, so they are on the same firmware, as they came out of the box. Probably I miss some features of the Wiser system, but I can so far live with that. I am still trying to harness the power of the TRVs , but they can be controlled from the App after making a custom DH. They have some disadvantages, as they are extremely “loud”. They report back every minute, and it cannot be changed suddenly.

So, give it a try, does it connect for you too?

Just thought I’d throw another Colin into the Drayton Wiser mix :grinning: :+1:

I got this installed and running this morning. Thanks @colc for your hard work in creating it. Are you planning any more changes or is it the finished article?

One thing I’d like to see it the ability to reset all thermostats to the scheduled setpoint - perhaps that should be the incentive I need to learn to program this stuff :slight_smile:

Hi Col (who knew there were so many of us!)

I don’t have any plans for more changes top the app at the moment, primarily (and selfishly!) as I made it for my own use and it does what I need! Having said that I occasionally fix a problem if I come across any and I do have a vague plan to upgrade it to use version 2 of the API which Drayton switched to using recently. I haven’t come across any extra features in their new API but I am worried they might stop supporting V1 at some point and render the app useless. As of yet I haven’t had the chance to look at this but when I do I’ll look into the feature you’d like, I don’t see it being an issue to add.

Cheers,
Colin

Team, I’m considering the Drayton system for my.new house. Can I use the smart things plugs as range extenders? I’m in an old 16century property with 2 ft thick walls.

Thanks
Bal

I do not think so, however they do a plug that does that

I got confirmation from Drayton that the smartthings plugs aren’t compatible, so I’m wondering about the reverse, could I pair a drayton plug with smartthings? probably no, but then we could create a custom device handler.

I’ve moved into a new place, and I need a smart thermostat, but really want something that integrates with Smartthings. The Netatamo thermostat is not an option as it has not hot water tank support.

B

I’ve paired multiple thermostats to Smartthings and using it with a DH made by myself.

All works normally as zigbee devices. Let me get back to you later.

@baloo247, this is what I’ve built for the Wiser iTRVs. It is based on the eCozy integration.
There is a lot of work what can be done on them, and I’ve just looked at some other DTHs which could provide a decent amount of good ideas how to complete them. Maybe this winter.

So my DTH for the iTRV

I’ve had a chance to buy a few iTRV back in 2018 for about 10 Euro each. I’ve looked at the specs, which doesn’t state that it is Zigbee, but I have though lets give it a try. (According the Wiser documentation, it wasn’t zigbee, If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. At the first pairing attempt SmartThings recognized the valve as a Thing. BINGO. So looked for a zigbee TRV DTH and found the eCozy as a starting point. But I haven’t had too much time to work on it further.

I couldn’t utilize the Wiser Hub, as my heating system has a complicated setup and cannot replace the controller with it, and I didn’t want to have another zigbee network for interference, so the main point was to implement it to the SmartThings environment. The zigbee mesh is quite developed in my house so there wasn’t any problem to utilize that way.

I was able to control temperature to turn on and off the heating at each radiator, but there are more possibilities to try. Maybe this winter…

Give it a go and let me know how you have succeeded.

Gábor

Hi,

I’ve just purchased a wiser trv, installed your DTH and attempted to add to smartthings but so far I’ve been unsuccessful. Could someone offer some assistance please?

I’m not using the hub, wanting to connect the trv’s direct.

Colc, is there anyway this app can be updated to work with the new SmartThings app, now it has been updated a lot I am looking to retire SmartThings Classic app.
Thanks Mark.

Hi Mark,

The honest answer is I don’t know, I haven’t looked at the new SmartThings app for months as it was terrible last time I checked. I’ll check it out again and look into the possibilities of updating the smartapp.

Cheers,
Colin

Hi Mark,

I had a look at the new app and it’s come on a long way since I last looked at it! The good news is I’ve made a quick tweak that displays and lets you change the heating set point in the new app. The bad news is that’s about all that works well, I have a lot of reading to do to find out how things work now but will see what I can do.

Cheers,
Colin

Hi,

I’m new to the Wiser system and ST, really impressed by and grateful for all the work that’s gone in to integrating it with ST. Just trying to catch up and have retrieved /data/domain from my hub - it all looks good except that the schedule information is blank (Schedule : {@{id=1;Monday=; Tuesday=; etc) although there is a schedule which I can see in the Wiser app on my phone. Is there someting else I need to do to get this? Only possible oddity is that I have no TRVs, just using the hub to trigger the heating remotely and if the temperature drops. Thanks in advance,

Bill.

Problem solved! I was using Powershell to retrieve the data and it wasn’t parsing the JSON response properly - I’m sure there’s a setting I can apply but instead I looked at the raw data from the network and found my scheule info was being returned, just not displayed by PS.

New question - is there any record of when the heating is actually on - ie including manual override or boost? I think I can get it by polling and checking percentageDemand or overrideType but it would be nice if the data could be retrieved in a single transaction. Drayton obviously gets this because it appears in their graphs but I’d really like to get the raw data. Thanks again.

Hi Colin,

I have just purchased the drayton wiser smart heating system and would love to get this to work in the new smarthings app. If you want some help with integration I can help. Do you have documentation for the new smarthings api and drayton api. I might be able to help.

Thanks

Hi Richard,

That would be great, I don’t really get a lot of time to look at things like this these days!

The SmartThings documentation is here https://smartthings.developer.samsung.com/docs/index.html

There is no Drayton Wiser API that has been made public that I’m aware of so it’s all a bit of trial and error and guess work I’m afraid. I can share all the details I know about it no problem or if you look at my (rough!) code here

you can probably work out the calls. Most of it is still based on v1 of the Drayton API, their app is now using v2 but I haven’t really noticed many differences between them. I used a packet capture app on my phone to see what calls the Drayton app was making to the hub.

Hope this helps, give me a shout if you need any info.

Cheers,
Colin

Thinking about getting this system, how is the connector working? Is there any progress? Thanks

Hi Colin

Long shot as I know you mentioned later on in the feed that you aren’t developing this currently. (Wiser integration)

But I was wondering if you knew why the devices are not able to function in AcionTiles? I.e no functionality to increase or decrease the temps.

My Aim is to have all devices in there operational… I can see the Drayton devices and see the temps but I don’t have no option to turn the heating up or down.

Spoke to ActionTiles support and they said something would be missing in the handler.

I’m no coder so finding this fix is tricky for me, any ideas?

Hi Kieran

Did you progress this at all? I see there are 2 integrations with wiser here in the community the one by colc and the one by chris duffer.

I’m new to ST, any thoughts on which is the best one to use and do any of them work with the new ST app?

Any thoughts on what would take to make them work?

Thanks