Does Long Battery Life of Z-Wave 700/800 Series Work with SmartThings?

Does the hub need to be 700/800 series for the battery life to be the 10 years that’s claimed, vs the 1.5 years for 500 series? In other words, if I buy an 800 series z-wave battery powered device, but have an older hub, does the z-wave device revert to an older protocol that drains the battery faster?

Are there any 700/800 series hubs for SmartThings?

Not at the time of this posting, and since Samsung has dropped Z wave altogether from its newest line of hubs, including the station, and the TV dongle, they don’t seem very interested in z wave for the future. :thinking:

Does the hub need to be 700/800 series for the battery life to be the 10 years that’s claimed, vs the 1.5 years for 500 series?

It varies from model to model and on how the device is used.

You do get the advantage of needing less power for an individual radio transmission. But the newer generations, Particularly those using S2 security, have revised their polling procedures, so they are sending fewer messages. That’s a big part of the savings and while the V3 hub has adopted some of those improvements. It has not adopted all of them.

So if we’re talking about something like a standard PIR motion sensor, I think you should expect to see some improvement from a series 700 device, but not as much as you would see if it were connected to a series 700 hub.

The Z-Box Hub uses a 700-series chip, per their FAQ.

Thanks. Can you install it as a SmartThings hub? If not, is there some other way to integrate it with SmartThings? Does it require a Zooz account?

It’s a competing brand, not a SmartThings-compatible hub. You use it with its own app. So, yes, you need a zooz account.

You would use the Z box hub instead of SmartThings. There’s no obvious way to integrate the two. (Unlike, say, hubitat, which also has a series 700 hub, but where community members have built some integrations between the two.)

There are quite a few community members using both SmartThings and hubitat. I don’t think I’ve seen any reports of someone using both the Zbox and SmartThings, but it’s always possible.

1 Like