Does Anyone Still Use SmartThings?

In my case, I chose SmartThings in the first place specifically because they were certified to two common open standards: Z wave and zigbee home automation 1.2

Both should mean that certified devices work with the controller regardless of the brand.

Again, in my case, I use almost no custom device types or custom code. And among the devices that stopped working recently is a SmartThings-branded presence sensor, which now shows as always present.

I have one routine that literally does nothing except change the mode in the house at a fixed time. There are no devices in the routine. It had run without error for more than six months through September. Since October, it has failed at least nine times.

So it’s not just a matter of device selection.

Submitted with respect.

1 Like

Interesting how different it is for different users…

1 Like

This is the greatest fear that any company should have when people get so frustrated they just silently move on and don’t seek help because, well frankly, they know help will just be a complete waste of time and that frustrated person ends up discouraging many many others from even trying out the device based on their experiences which ends up spreading like wildfire. Being 100% honest, I was actually coming very close to considering moving on as you can already tell from the first post and the only thing keeping me still here really is (1) the amount of money I’ve already put into devices and (2) the amount of work it would probably take to switch most if not all the devices over to another compatible home automation device (if there is even any great alternatives right now).

Yea at this point I definitely sent them an email but immediately got an email back saying “We are backed up with all the emails/tickets/whatevers” and that’s funny because I remember people complaining about that same issue a year ago. What a fantastic business when their support staff is always backed up for over a year now as it really instills confidence in that one.

Not many, in fact probably just the ones that came with the starter kit when I first got the system which includes the motion sensor, and door sensor. The reason being is that there are better devices for cheaper than the crap that SmartThings offers. Just look at the motion sensor in itself, even the Aeon Labs motion sensor is 5000 steps above the SmartThings ones. Isn’t that the whole point of SmartThings that it works as the central hub integrator for most if not all your devices (whether zwave, zigbee, etc)? But anyways, unfortunately it seems like people are also having issues with just the SmartThings devices so yea. Any other devices do get officially recognized by SmartThings however when I do add them to the system and none displayed “Generic” device or whatever.

1 Like

@mxrugg, Firstly let me say, sorry you are having this many problems. I’d like to address some of the things mentioned in your post.

We are listening to our userbase and community about the Mobile App. In fact we have a few user feedback sessions scheduled over the next couple of weeks to get some feedback on the mobile app so we can make some positive meaningful improvements here. If you are in Minneapolis or The Bay Area you can take part in these sessions.

This is a know issue, although saying we “know” about it doesn’t relieve any of your pain points, there is active work going on to resolve these types of problems. Keep a lookout on this thread for updates on routines not firing completely, or at all, I will be updating it every time I have more information to share.

This is just downright weird. I have never seen this before and you should definitely work with support to see whats going on.

For your other problems please work with support. They are awesome and can get most, if not all, of those sunrise/sunset, shcedule, etc, issues resolved for you.

Definitely send me a PM if you want, I’ll be willing to help you anyway I can. :smile:

P.S.

It’s cool that you use my app! :smile:

1 Like

Nah, it was my choice. They don’t charge me for tech support, and it’s certainly not their fault that i can’t unplug the hub on my own. It was definitely a factor in my decisions, but not something ST owes me.

2 Likes

Wow hey there @slagle, yea I remember you from a year ago when I tried to help you out with a guide (not much hehe) for that MagicHome awesome app that you made, I mean you are awesome! What you just reminded me of, unfortunately, as sad as it is to say, the glory days of SmartThings for me! I used your MagicHome, everything was freaking perfect just about, flawless! I mean I loved it so much I bought my brother one that Christmas after I tested it out for a while! However, here I am now, with a pos that barely works haha!

In case you forgot that awesome link, here it is…

Thanks for responding though I greatly appreciate it, and it’s good that at least the issues are known issues. I’m most concerned with the sunrise/sunset not working correctly which is ultra frustrating and important to me but I already sent them an email so waiting on feedback unfortunately at this point.

1 Like

I remember that!!! lol

Don’t hesitate to let me know how I can help.

Ok thanks! To not waste your time, I’ll go through support at least first to see where I get with that one haha. :smile:

1 Like

Wow, I’m either lucky or I have another device inside the SmartThings V2 Hub because all my devices me smartapps work perfectly fine. I have vents triggered by humidity sensors that are not even officially supported by SmartThings. My Amazon Echo handles all my commands flawlessly and when I needed help with migrating to the V2 tech support helped me in less than 15 minutes and stayed with me until everything was working again. Sorry to read that your experience has been so different from mine.

2 Likes

Wow nice! I was actually planning on going to the v2 hub when they had a preorder or whatever sale on it I think awhile back (I think it was for the v2 hub) but due to the issues I’ve been having with the v1 I stayed away haha.

I would like to mention to everyone that despite what I originally thought of “terrible” customer support based on reading other user posts from a while ago, so far that is definitely not true and I only wish I didn’t wait this long. This morning I already recieved a response from customer support on my several issues so, well I may however have an extreme case for my hub which might have accelerated the response who knows, the guy was very friendly and polite and already gave some small guides for the challenging iphone app based on some of my issues I originally mentioned.

Now awesome and polite customer service is great and I love it, but what truly matters however is getting my hub obviously back to how it was before which is the end goal I will never forget about no matter how polite anyone can be haha.

That’s awesome, currently I only use my Echo with SmartThings to turn on my living room lights as that is unfortunately one of the only parts that has consistently kept working which wow, if that always failed, I mean we use that all the time. But anyways, have you or rather anyone else used the Echo to trigger routines in SmartThings? Maybe that is now possible but last time I checked it could just control some of your devices but couldn’t actually trigger a routine such as “Alexa run bedtime routine” or whatever similar. I’m sure there are plenty of other ways to go about it maybe but just wondering if there was an extremely quick/easy direct method such as “Alexa turn on the living room lights”.

2 Likes

This should help:

1 Like

I have not used routines because I don’t have a routine, my job is so unpredictable that if a routine develops I will start looking for another job. I have to say that anytime I struggle to get something to work the way I want I search on the community site or ask tech support and I have been able to get what I want the platform to do. I researched every home automation platforms and this one fulfilled my needs, I hope you can get it back to do all you expect from it.

Wow your the guy that actually created the guide haha looks like I ran into the right person! Thanks!

1 Like

Sorry maybe I slightly confused you by what I meant by routines. In the iphone app on the bottom toolbar area, the middle (check looking) button opens up the routines page at which say my “Bedtime” routine will, well supposed to, lock all doors, turn off all lights, turn on all night lights, etc, etc. Back in the day I believe they were instead called modes so unless I am the one confusing myself, the name of these “whatevers” have changed several times.

So in your case, it would almost be perfect with your unpredictable job where as you leave the house or arrive, the routines will be automatically be triggered based on your presence to turn stuff on/off so you just leave the house like you normally would without doing absolutely anything. That’s how mine was working when it was working great. :frowning:

But I’m sure you already knew that and I totally misunderstood you haha!

1 Like

Routines used to be called “Hello Home Phrases.”

Modes are still the same.

2 Likes

Haha JD is the unofficial official answer man. You cannot come or go here without running into him. Or him running into you. :wheelchair: He’s also the resident “ok google” / “hey siri”. You can get his attention by simply asking a question. No need for “ok Smart Things” because he’s always listening and generally can answer any question.

5 Likes

Some questions, maybe. :wink:

I Don’t answer any questions regarding coding, since , trust me, groovy and text to speech do not mix. :loudspeaker:

But the listening part works great. LOL!

3 Likes

Ok… I’ll say most… I just love that you always give the full in depth answers and when possible with references.

1 Like

I converted over my Z-wave network to use OpenHab instead. I don’t look at these forums much these days, but saw your post in a SmartThings Community Digest email. The release of the new UI was the straw that broke the camel’s back for me. In my opinion, I thought the changes to the UI were horrible and were big a step backwards. I actually refused to install it on most of my devices. I was also sick of having custom devices break whenever there was an API update on the back-end, missed sunrise/sunset triggers, the occasional hiccups, and variable response times.

An example of the variable response times would be the door sensor on my back door. I have it trigger an outside light to go on at the back of my house when it is night time. The light would sometimes not go on (because of a missed sunset trigger) or take up to 30 seconds to go on. I wasn’t too proud of my “Smart” house when I would take out the trash and see the outside light finally come on after coming back inside.

I like you was very into SmartThings and would tell everyone about it, but unlike you I jumped ship a lot earlier. To hear from you that the last 4 months have been even worse makes me feel even better about my switch. I was so excited about the V2 hub with its local processing thinking it would make my network much more responsive. I was all prepared to upgrade until I saw the new UI along with all the issues that followed. Not to mention the huge hit it would take setup my Z-wave network again from scratch.

To each his own, but SmartThings is no longer for me. Switching to OpenHab has been incredible. Response times are so quick with the local processing and I can actually see and diagnose any Z-wave issues on my own. I could go on and on of how much I like OpenHab (with some cons as well), but ultimately I love the openness and how I control the updates to my controller. It’s been fun, and I wish everyone else the best of luck with the platform.

3 Likes

Soooo this is fantastic. Basically I want to take back what I quoted above mentioning that support really isn’t as bad as I thought they are because they really are! I mentioned the support guy that sent me an email immediately was very polite, even said 2 people were working on my case, but he was just bsing me more and more, and where have I ended up today? Absolutely no where, after that email from support I have not heard a single word (complete silence) for 3 days now despite giving them a ton of details about what wasn’t working with my hub. I even sent a follow up email asking them if there was any update yesterday and still no word. This is what we call disgusting and unacceptable service aka exactly what people have always been complaining about for over a year now.

Look I don’t care if your busy or backed up but you should never, I mean never, try telling a customer that we will take good care of you, then leave them with no follow up response for days, even when they send a follow up email checking why they haven’t received a response in days. I hope more customers read this and start reconsidering as this is unacceptable and once something, anything goes wrong, you will feel like your in the dark like I and several other people have. I still haven’t learned my lesson have I. I was actually fooled into thinking, you know what, everything is going to be alright, I will get the hub back up and running.

Looks like you made the right move.