Do Hive plugs lose their zigbee extender capability when added to ST?

Just before Christmas I paired my Hive Smart Plugs with Smartthings. I then noticed various door/window sensors and TRV’s had gone offline throughout my home.

I live in a 3 storey house, the Hive v2 hub is in the basement and the hive plugs were extending the zigbee signal up the other 2 levels to the various window/door sensors & TRV’s located on them.

I paired one of the Hive smart plugs back to the Hive Hub and got connectivity back on all my battery operated Door/Window sensors and TRV’s.

So my question is am I right in thinking that the Hive Smart Plugs need to be paired to the Hive Hub in order to maintain zigbee extender functionality within the Hive mesh network? Is there a way of overcoming this please, so that I can have my plugs paired to smartthings but still be able to have them extend the zigbee signal to hive TRV’s, motion, door/window sensors?

I have the DTH’s installed for Hive TRV and Hive Active Plug by alyc100. Thanks

Yes, you are right.

The Zigbee profile that smartthings uses allows for only one “primary coordinator“ per network. A zigbee end device can belong to the smartthings network or the hive network but not both at the same time. It will no longer perform the repeating function for the other network because it does not have authorization to read those messages anymore, not even to know which device they are addressed to, which is necessary for repeating.

If that were not true, you wouldn’t be able to put multiple Zigbee networks into the same apartment building or office building because they would all have access to the other networks’ messages, a major security flaw.

So there’s no way around it. You have to buy the repeaters you want for each of the two networks, they cannot be shared.

1 Like