Hi, this is my first post since acquiring SmartThings a couple months ago. I’m not a developer but don’t mind tinkering with some devices and applications. I’ve perused the community regarding connected garage door openers and automation but not found what I have in mind. After reading about available solutions (roll-your-own relay and tilt sensor, go-control/Linear, Garadget, etc.) and looking at safety/usabiliy concerns, I’ve come up with my requirements as follows:
- would like something long-term reliable (go-control seems to fail regularly after time)
- would like to use an existing device handler and/or smartapp (no coding by me)
- don’t want to have to change batteries, so hard-wired open/closed sensor is preferred
- want to operate on z-wave - trying to keep things simple and off my wifi network
- want to execute locally, i.e. not via cloud integration and dependent on my internet connectivity
Given the above, wondering if anyone has thought about or done integration of a dry-contact relay, z-wave outlet, and hard-wired photo-electric sensor (ala Garadget where I would mount laser or photoelectric beam with a reflector on the door) so I could open, close, and monitor status.
Would need an ingredients list (though I have some relays and a potential sensor in mind) and rough outline of how these components would be connected along with recommended app(s). Any ideas? Thanks!