DISCUSS Deals/Sales/Coupons/Pricing HERE (post deals in the other thread)

Yeah as a stock holder it ticks me off to see such waste. Earlier in the month I ordered 6 sensors. Placed 3 in the cart at a time so they’d be in 2 groups. They arrived in 2 boxes 3 each. Ordered 10 items the other day a 8 packages showed up yesterday. I purposely placed identical items in the cart individually so they’d be on separate lines on the order to see if the shipped individually. Most did. Just cray wasteful landfill fodder.

1 Like

Just spotted this. Back in stock for shipping?
http://www.lowes.com/pd_672689-3-73661_0__?storeNumber=2828&selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=[com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%403eb03eb0]&productId=50358568

I wanted them for the $40 sale price, not the $70 price though LOL. For $70 I’ll get a Fibaro controller and a 5M strip of Taotonic lights :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Now that you mention it, that is what I did too. I added 2 bulbs then 2 more individually Then the hub kit so I could update bulb firmware. . So there was 4 lines in the order. 1 starter, 1 bulb, 2 bulbs, 1 bulb. The starter bulb/hub shipped. Then the 2 individual bulbs and according to the ship notice it is the 2 in cart together coming tomorrow. Filling the order line by line from the bottom up .

Given that I will assume the 2 Gardenspots will also ship separately since I added 1, then added the 3 extensions, then added another controller kit.

1 Like

I made the mistake of ordering 20-something A19s from Lowe’s. All but 2 or 3 of them were individually shipped and in ridiculously sized boxes. They haven’t even all showed up yet…I’ve been getting one or two light bulbs two to three days a week for 2+ weeks now. On Tuesday, I got one bulb in a 12x12x12 box…inside it was an 8x8x8 box filled with bubble wrap and those air filled bags all to find one open box light bulb package inside there. It’s absolutely insane how much packaging they waste, but I guess this is what happens when 20 different stores ship you one or two items each. I gotta think these cost them more to ship to me than I paid for them. Still waiting on my gardenspots.

UPS just dropped off the last 2 of my 5 bulbs. Tracking shows they were overnighted from Phoenix at 6:33 last night !!! Yes in a 12x12x12 box full of bubble packs.
I guess that email yesterday asking where the last 2 were hit a nerve, saying that I would rather deal with HDs 10-14 day delivery and get the stuff in 7, then Lowe’s " Amazon guaranty " of 2 day shipping and wait 3 weeks for the items to actually ship.

I just got email notification that Lowe’s just reran my CC for the Gardenspots. So maybe there is some light at the end of the tunnel after all. Nothing from Lowes and website still shows as " in process".

Given how we have already decided Lowe’s loves to waste $$$, I am betting they ship out Friday for Saturday delivery by Fedex. Who wants a piece of that action ?

1 Like

@warbirdphotog

I totally understand your point. It’s a valid one, and I won’t argue (not strenuously, anyway lol ).
However, to be fair to those using that as a deal-posting-only thread…

Those kinds of posts are still NOT deal posts (i.e. the DEAL is the DEAL, and these follow-on posts should go in the deals discussion thread), and they continue to fill up that thread with non-deal-posts and continue to aggravate the folks that are actually counting on that thread to be deal posts.

e.g. To find the zip code, all you need to do is what I did with this post.
I saw something I wanted to discuss in the DEAL-posting thread.
Then, I quoted you, and posted it in the other thread and tagged your username.

That way, you’ll be notified of my post, AND when you respond to me here, I will be able to easily see your response.

Boom! :slight_smile:

@RoadRunner @RLDreams
I agree with both of the above posts about SUBJECT:
The problem is that, even though there is a quoting mechanism, most of the time (OK, maybe not most, but still…), it seems like people just click it, but then they don’t do the follow-up step of clicking the other button after that to actually quote the text in their post.

I still think we should at least attempt to error on the side of bringing ALL discussion which is not an actual deal post over here to this discussion thread.

Again though, you won’t see me in here doing this all the time.
I just figure doing it once in a while as a reminder is fair (and some people actually appreciate the fact that it’s actually a deal post when they get an alert about a new post in the deal-posting thread.

@Benji @eibyer
Cool! That’s some great info to share about device compatibility or how to get something done, etc.
Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

You have to keep one thing in mind though. Many of us (myself included) had no idea we had to change the local store to get the Lowes deal so some discussion is mandatory for the deals. I know some people hate it but in all honesty it’s necessary and they should read it because it is relevant to them. All we are asking here is for some post formatting.

We are now asking people to keep up with 2 threads to make sure they get the deal they think they are going to get it. I personally don’t get why we are splitting this up. If you want a deal you keep up with the thread. If you wait 5 minutes or hesitate you can very well miss out on a deal, there is no stopping low inventory. I agree some of the discussion is a bit too much but I feel that since we started this second thread the momentum in the deals thread has slowed down.

What I think should happen here is that device specific discussions should be split off into its own thread much like Bloomsky but anything around how people get deals should be part of the same discussion.

2 Likes

@dshokouhi
I find it hard to argue with that…so, for the most part, I won’t. :slight_smile:

[quote=“dshokouhi, post:52, topic:42517, full:true”]
You have to keep one thing in mind though. Many of us (myself included) had no idea we had to change the local store to get the Lowes deal so some discussion is mandatory for the deals. I know some people hate it but in all honesty it’s necessary and they should read it because it is relevant to them…[/quote]

Here’s part of the philosophy behind my disagreement with this part…
I think that, with so many potential different types of things that could be and are discussed in the deal-posting thread, instead of trying to weigh them all the time and decide which ones are relevant to that thread and which ones should be done in here, it seems like if everyone already knows that ALL follow-on discussion about deals should take place in here instead of over there, it just seems simpler.

All we are asking here is for some post formatting.[/quote]

So, if somebody isn’t willing to take their question about something or comment on something over here (which is arguably much easier than trying to follow whatever format you think the group could ever agree on for what you’re suggesting), how confident are you in your methodology? Not arguing really; merely contemplating the concept in the context of the facts, and losing confidence quickly in the post-format concept.

…I agree some of the discussion is a bit too much…[/quote]

Right. You agree that SOME of it is too much, and I think that some other part is too much, and that girl thinks another portion is too much, and that guy over there thinks yet another portion is too much.

Why not then just move it all over to here so there is no confusion as to whose comment taste preferences we’re going to organize this around?

…but I feel that since we started this second thread the momentum in the deals thread has slowed down…[/quote]

I haven’t actually tracked it in a detailed, scientific way. So, I won’t argue with that. However, to be honest, it seems to me like the level of deal-quality has gone up significantly over there, because there has been a lot less follow-on commenting going on. Rather than the deals being less, I think it’s a combination of the aforementioned lower comment flow, and the general fluctuation of deals in the market. I’m sure I’m wrong though. So, if somebody does go back and take an accurate count of deal-posts compared to follow-on comments, please do post and tag me. :slight_smile:

I genuinely, totally agree…initially. However, in disagreement with even my own natural reaction, equally sound logic could suggest that, since there are usually multiple people that come in and ask the same questions that have already been answered, if we were to move ALL follow-on discussion to this thread instead, it would cut down on those kinds of redundant postings as well. Still, that’s not necessarily my 100% opinion; Yes, I’m still arguing with myself about it too lol i.e. notice, I ‘liked’ your post (EDIT: after I typed this post). :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree with other comments earlier that it’s a lot easier and cleaner to start a new deals (with discussion) thread every month.

We should start a new thread to discuss what goes in the deals thread and what goes in the discussion thread.

3 Likes

I would like to see whomever is in charge of the forum allow some of the most frequent users to be at least limited moderators. There just isn’t enough policing of the forum. 2 or 3 moderators could very easily keep this place the way it should be.

@slagle @jody.albritton are you the guys that could make something like this happen?

Two quick questions…

1. what IS “the way it should be”?

2. what exactly would these new mini-mods do?

Very simple…

1. See answer #2. But to let you know, I’m not talking about running the forum into some Nazi space camp crap. If you mosey over to the Wink Facebook group… That can be used as a perfect example… of exactly what NOT to do as a moderator.

2. keep threads together. When people open new threads the mini-mods would have the ability to move those and combine them with the main threads. They could then go back and delete the original thread. Basic house cleaning is what I’m talking about. Archiving old threads into like groups to improve searching of the forum… stuff like that.

2 Likes

As far as ZIP Code goes, if a specific store is required to get the deal, that should just be included in the original deal posting in the deals thread. That way it’s all one post, any new people who see the post about the deal see the information about ZIP Code, all that.

I would think if the original poster doesn’t know a special ZIP Code is required then what will happen is the following:

A) OP posts original deal in the deals thread (not knowing a specific ZIP Code is required)

B) second poster puts a post in the discussion thread tagging the OP saying, hey, it didn’t work for me, what store did you use? Discussion ensues.

C) once they figure out exactly what is required to get the deal, the OP goes back to the original deal post in the deal thread and edits it to add a line “you must order from store number 735 in ZIP Code 10101 in order to get the deal.”

Discussion in the discussion thread, deal in the deal thread, information necessary to the deal included as part of the original deal post. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I am with you. This two thread thing is silly. I personally enjoy the discussion that goes along with deals. Why would I bother looking at a deal if several other people say the product is horrible or some other reason not to purchase it. I am not going to try and jump back and forth between threads. I have yet to find it difficult to find the deals amid the discussion.

2 Likes

Ok, isn’t a community forum about discussion? Why limit discussion? Why stifle discussion?

Yes the threads get crazy and way off topic, but they always swing back in line.

I know I have no problem bash reading threads to get the info I’m looking for.

I think way to much time is being spent discussing how too discuss. This isn’t the local college campus… We don’t have trigger words here.

3 Likes

So, just spitballing here, but based on the content of the last few posts in this thread, shouldn’t we open a new thread?

“Discuss discussing things in the discussion thread” thread?

I think we need a thorough discussion on opening the [quote=“bamarayne, post:62, topic:42517”]
“Discuss discussing things in the discussion thread” thread
[/quote]

1 Like