Dimmable light + 4 step ceiling fan control?

(Bradlee S.) #1

Any chance someone has found such a device yet?

I currently have 12/3 wire running from switches(dual rockers) to each light/fan in my home. Are there any compatible controllers that will operate all functions (Light-OFF/ON/DIM + Fan-OFF/LOW/MED/HIGH)? Dimming is a plus, not a deal-breaker. Fan speed IS a must though.

Ideally I would like to replace the rockers with smart switches, as well as control via app/Echo.

(Dan P Parker) #2

[quote=“bradlee_s, post:1, topic:59444, full:true”]Any chance someone has found such a device yet?

I currently have 12/3 wire running from switches(dual rockers) to each light/fan in my home. Are there any compatible controllers that will operate all functions (Light-OFF/ON/DIM + Fan-OFF/LOW/MED/HIGH)? Dimming is a plus, not a deal-breaker. Fan speed IS a must though.

Ideally I would like to replace the rockers with smart switches, as well as control via app/Echo.[/quote]

I use these in pairs for my 3-speed ceiling fan+light fixtures:

Amazon.com: GE Z-Wave Smart Dimmer, In-Wall, 12724

GE Z-Wave Smart Fan Control, In-Wall, 12730

Alexa works perfectly with them via ST.

(Bradlee S.) #3

Sadly, I only have single-gang dual-rockers. Not separate side by side rocker switchers.

(Bradlee S.) #4

Also, how exactly is fan speed being controlled? Magic? There’s no receiving needed in the fan housing, correct?

(Dan P Parker) #5

Ah, I’m sorry…I missed that part of your description. Yeah, that’s a problem.

Correct. So long as the fan is 3-speed capable, it works. ST treats it as a dimmer, so you use %s to target the speeds (which are roughly 0%-33%, 34%-66% and 67%-100%…give or take 1%).

(Damon Blumenstein) #6

You could pretty easily just cut the old box out by running a saw between the drywall cutout and the side of the box and replace with a double gang old work box. That is how I added fan switches.

(Bradlee S.) #7

Not enough room. Switch is sandwiched between two door frames.

(Damon Blumenstein) #8

That’s no good, i know this is a bit hacky, but what if you add another single above it, with enough gap for a switch plate of course.

(Bradlee S.) #9

Lol! I’ll just keep waiting for a suitable device.

Perhaps Lutron will someday add Z-Wave to this:

(Bradlee S.) #10

I think these Maestro devices are all Clear Connect. True?
Can SmartThings control/connect to Clear Connect?

It’s all 433MHz. Anyone know what modulation? Can we build our own transmitter?

(Don) #11

There is a very similar topic to yours that has helpful information you might find interesting. They are also trying to do the fan/light work around with only 1 switch.

I have done something similar to this and rather than double post it’s easier to direct you there.

Hope that helps provide some options for you.