Devices we don't have

Leviton makes a 3-speed Fan (Dimmer) control that works great with ST.

1 Like

Matt-

Using the IDE you can in fact see which code was used to unlock a Schlage or Kwikset lock. I have shared a SmartApp that allows you to configure your house to enter “Home” mode based on the unlock, sending you a Hello Home notification of who actually opened the door. It’s sort of a hack (you have to install 1 SmartApp per person per lock), but it addresses your request. Check it out in the Shared SmartApps section of the IDE.

I will also add more votes for:

1. In-wall scene/multi-button controller – and better/easier scene support in general. Kind of have to jump through hoops now.
  2. Fan controller
  3. Doorbell a la Lowes.
5 Likes

I 2nd all 3 of @rogersmj

1 Like

I was told by a local reseller that you can use the minimote to associate the controller with the desired light switch? I have a minimote coming in today and I was going to try it with a 4 way scene controller. I’ll keep you posted.

Hey @Ben thanks for having a topic like this. It’s very reassuring to see that you guys read these and seem to really care what us automation nerds want.

A couple things (some have already been mentioned above):

• A Doorbell: Since most everyone already has a doorbell, a more simple/affordable option might be to have some kind of z-wave or zigbee device that hooks up directly to the doorbell module inside the house and is triggered that way. If it wasn’t that, and it was an actual z-wave/zigbee doorbell then possibly add a motion sensor to it… or if you’re dreaming really big, a camera doorbell like DoorBot

• Foscam Integration: (but I believe you’ve said that this is now on the front burner, which is great news!)

• iTunes Integration: I came from HomeSeer which could control iTunes much like the current Sonos integration. For those of us that may not want to shell out several hundred bucks for Sonos, it would be slick to be able to do those same types of things through a computer hooked up to speakers. In my case I have a home theater PC that basically runs everything.

• Sonos Notify (minus the Sonos part): Along the likes of what I just mentioned above (Sonos vs. iTunes), it would be great to get all of the features of “Sonos Notify” without Sonos hardware. Through iTunes could work, but even more directly, it would be great if audio could go through IP to an A/V receiver. If not that, maybe put an audio jack on the SmartThings hub, a speaker on the hub, or the ability to communicate with a bluetooth speaker. If you did do a built-in speaker, make it loud enough that it could replace the need to purchase a z-wave siren for alrams.

• IP to IR Integration: could be through hardware like SQ Blaster or Global Cache. Or even more directly, it would be great to go through IP straight to my Denon receiver (there are already a few apps out there to control it). I don’t think the average user needs to have a complete home theater remote built into SmartThings (although, it would be sweet) the more important need would be the ability to turn on A/V components and switch them to the right inputs based on the activity that someone wants to do (e.g. - Hello Home - Watch TV: turn on correct A/V components, dim lights, etc. or Intruder Detected: turn on speakers, give alarm warning, play siren, etc.)

• Keypad: a simple keypad similar to an alarm system’s keypad. Entering a code would switch the SmartThings mode from Away/Armed to Home/Unarmed as well as any number of events could be triggered by different numbers. Although the presence sensors are great for the most part and they can function as the trigger to “arm” and “disarm” the house, there are a lot of situations when that set up doesn’t work well. I’ve thought about just sticking an Aeon Minimote by the back door to serve this function, but the fear would be that an intruder would see it and just push every button until the alarm turned off.

I have plenty more requests, but I don’t want to get too greedy in my first post.

Thanks again for making a great product!

4 Likes

What are people using for light level detection, ie lumens? My control4 / card access zigbee motion sensors have a light level that I use to set light levels in a room. This is a huge power saver and really takes HA to a new level.

Without light level detection in a room, setting a light to 75% could just be wasted light and power.

Setting a light to 100% from complete darkness after 2am is wasted, since I don’t want all that light at that time of night.

Would be awesome if the smartthings motion sensor had light level detection / reporting, did I miss it?

3 Likes

@pstuart use the Aeon Multi for lumen/lux measurement.

Ive also heard rumblings about Fibaro motion support sometime in the future.

@Johnny_Davy

1. Doorbell I would wire your existing doorbell switch into a contact closure on a MIMOlite or RS100HC or even Arduino Shield.
  2. The foscam code works for me, but its still photo right now.
  3. I would love to see iTunes integration or some other spotify like player on my computer. If you can find anything that uses httpget and httppost REST API then you may get somewhere.
  4. I am still rooting for the Remotec ZXT-300
  5. Build a keypad with an arduino!

@docwisdom

Aeon Multi is supported:

Sorry I should have been more verbal. I was replying to @pstuart’s request for light level detection. I was saying to do it with an Aeon.

The MYQ integration is already done. Just a fyi

2 Likes

Yep I’ve had it and it works great!! Thanks for the heads up, that post was a while ago.

@Johnny_Davy

http://solutionsetcetera.com/HAMBridge/index.html

Thanks, @docwisdom!
I appreciate all the ideas, but I am not quite knowledgeable enough to get into the making my own apps side of things. But thanks anyway for taking the time.

Thanks, @docwisdom!
I have been using this wired to my doorbell:

I was more just making the suggestion that a doorbell would be a great addition to the SmartThings hardware line.

As for the rest of your responses, I’m not quite knowledgeable enough to pull off the coding/building necessary.
Thanks again for taking the time though!

VisonSecurity Shock Sensor ZS5101 Cannot program action on SmartThings Hub

@Johnny_Davy Using a door/window sensor as a doorbell :open_mouth: ? What magic is this?

@kmugh it has contacts that you can wire a button to to trigger the sensor. So basically, you take a doorbell button and wire each wire to the door bell then to the contacts on this. When you push the button it triggers the device like and open/close event.

@mattjfrank, Ah, I see. I have one of the old school doorbells (24V, solenoid type). Can the everspring sensor support this voltage? Also, I am assuming you wire the sensor in parallel with the doorbell button.