Devices we don't have

Hi everyone!

I’m putting together a list of devices other people support, but we don’t. Specifically I’m looking for something that there is no alternative in the SmartThings Universe for. An Example is Lowes Iris has an Irrigation controller and SmartThings doesn’t.

So anything that jumps out to you that SmartThings is missing that other people have?

11 Likes

@urman

There is no fan control.

We were just discussing this in another thread:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00715SU4A

14 Likes

Lowe’s Iris has a Door Bell button. ST does not, though their may be a user-hacked door/window sensor out there, I’m not aware of an OWM Zwave of Zigbee solution using a profile that works with ST.

9 Likes

I totally agree on this one. The $20 Lowes doorbell is a killer feature. It has so many uses and possibilities. For $20, I would be them in bunches. (You hear that SmartThings?)
If you have lamps plugged into Plug Controllers, it’s not convenient for guests. These make ad-hoc light switches.
How about a Big Button for turning on or off every light on a floor or even the whole house. (The good night button on your nightstand.)
How about turn on or off your Sonos in a given room?
Yeah, there are so many ideas. PLEASE make this one.

16 Likes

@urman

ST interfaces with some traditional thermostats but as far as I can tell not radiant heat:

1 Like

Interface with security system like DSC.
Interface to hardwired door windows , motion sensors.

Request for this has been talked on forum from day 1 of ST.

14 Likes

@urman
Why don’t you take vote on what users of ST want like Ivee does ?

3 Likes

+1 to interface with security system like DSC.

Also to be able to integrate with my video security system - I use Nightowl -

10 Likes

Agree with Sean, IP Camera integration.
How about Pipers device that has ambient sound and ambient light sensors?
Any A/V Receiver integration.
Revolv lets you control Insteon products, any way that will one day work?
Maybe a speaker that would give verbal feedback (I think Ubi does this now)

4 Likes

MIMOlite, Lowes Iris siren and water sensor and contact sensor (proprietary I know, but cheap!), Honeywell Ademco hardwired alarm system, Vizia RF VRCS2-MRZ Z-Wave 2-Button Scene/Load Controller.

1 Like

@johnconstantelos the Lowes Siren and water sensor already work in SmartThings. I’m with @vitamincm I would buy buckets of simple buttons

3 Likes

@andy, I had to create my own device types to get battery reporting for the water sensors, and for the siren I’m not getting battery status either. I installed them a while back, so did ST create device type for these now? I’ll check in the IDE as soon as I can get to a PC.

Add my vote for integration with video surveillance–both IP cams and integrated systems. It would be really helpful if ST could send me a picture and/or video when a motion or door sensor is tripped, since video-based motion detection cannot always be set up reliably.

9 Likes

Revolv supports Wemo switches and ST doesn’t.

IP cameras,H.264 for RTSP protocol. This is one way the commercial security industry moves video. Developing standard is ONVIF which has best chance at adoption and standard.

Also an easy way to take hard wired alarm equipment, motions, door contacts and glass breaks and tie into smartthings in parallel so either or both can be used. Local alarm needs to sound without having to travel to cloud and back down. I think there is a way to accomplish this today, but not by the laymen.

5 Likes

Scene controller? The device doesn’t even need to directly switch a load, but it does need to go into a traditional single-gang electrical box in the wall.

Honeywell TotalConnect thermostats (the API is out there… it’s only a matter of time)

IR senders and receivers? (e.g. Global Cache IP2IR) A back-end database of codes would be nearly a necessity…

Harbor Breeze and similar ceiling fans with wireless speed/lighting control (I realize it’s a different radio, but what about a Z-wave bridge?)

NFC and/or BTLE support on the SmartThings app for more granular indoor location determination

Is there a reason Philips HUE can’t be integrated directly? They claim to be Zigbee… Why do I need the Phillips hub?

4 Likes

A roller shade controller. Www.rollertrol.com and an ir interface with itach wifi2ir

3 Likes

keep em coming.

1 Like

Swann security and wireless speaker integration

Proper 3 way switches via association.

3 Likes