Devices Keep Going Offline with New Router

Hi all,

Apologies if this is a repeat thread or in the wrong location. I was recently able to upgrade to fiber internet through AT&T. When receiving the new router, I was able to keep the SSIDs and other connection details, which was nice. What wasn’t great was that, after the new router was in place, all (or almost all) devices are constantly going offline: Kasa switches periodically cycle between indicators, Amazon notifies that devices had been offline, etc. I thought it might be a 2.4ghz channel issue, but it doesn’t seem to be the case since I just switched to the router’s (Humax BGW320-500) wifi channel 11 and SmartThings hub (v3 US) ZigBee channel 11, but I’m still seeing all my Kasa switches blinking. I have had my hub connected to the past and current router via ethernet. Happy to share additional information if it would help. I have a few dozen devices and, while it wouldn’t be terrible to remove all and reconfigure, I’d like to see if the community could help me find the root issue.

Thanks and happy new year!

Model numbers please?

Pretty sure all Kasa devices are wifi so it would not be zigbee interference on the hub

2 Likes

Correct. Zigbee gets hammered by WiFi, not the other way around.

Id bet MONEY one of the new ‘advanced’ features of your new router is the issue.

When I moved to UniFi I had to ‘dumb down’ my 2.4 Ghz network and turn off most of the ‘optimizations’ to keep my oldsr 2.4 Ghz WiFi stuff online. Otherwise they’d all drop off when they tried to renew DHCP leases.

This included ensuring I was not sharing a SSID between 5 and 2 Ghz segments, turned off all ‘bandwidth steering’ options, locked the channel width and strength to 20Mhz / 18DB. There are other things to look at but, in this case you’re going to probably need to do more than just replicate the SSID.

1 Like

Well, that makes excellent sense that zigbee repair wouldn’t do anything if they are wifi. Didn’t even dawn on me. See? That’s why you gents and ladies in the community make the big bucks. Kasa models are HS200, HS210, HS220.

Those are really good points to consider. What was confusing me was that they all periodically are offline but eventually connect. I knew it was something about the router. I just couldn’t find anything about these issues associated with that router and AT&T couldn’t help. I think maybe I’ll try to figure out what features exist and see if I can back them off one at a time to identify the culprit.

I’ll let you know if I find what the root cause may be or if I get stuck. I’ll post here what the root problem may be.