Devices going off and on after "upgrade" from Classic

I performed the guided “upgrade” from the classic app tonight. After that, all (most?) my devices started turning off and on uncontrollably. I had to pull the power cord on the hub. I’m waiting on a support ticket response.

1 Like

You may want to check your Automation rules or any other rules you may have (WebCoRE, SmartApps, smart lightning) and see if any of them are stuck on a loop or something which may be causing it.

Removed Webcore this morning (no need for it for me with the new automations…which I like). Going through and removing what can be done native in the new app.

Zigbee seems to be a tough one. All my window and the one leak sensor, which are the older Samsung ones, seem to have problems. And internally, I think these sensors are very close because both report temperature.

What region are you in? There have been issues for those in UK and Europe …

https://status.smartthings.com/incidents/2v9pm6ch6g34

North America (USA).

I don’t have anything significant in WebCoRE. I don’t see anything connected to the devices that are malfunctioning. I have a lot of smart apps and smart lighting, so I wouldn’t know where to start since there are dozens of devices and apps involved that could be causing this. I have hundreds of events in a small period of time, so it’s hard to see what’s causing what. I feel like I have to strip out everything I’ve built and start over to debug, which sounds like a huge, unwelcome pain and waste of time.

I’m also in USA.

Sounds like my support case has been escalated to engineering and I might receive a call soon. We’ll see if they can help straighten this out.

1 Like

I think I understand the constant on/off/on/off issue with automations. I have two automations set up, one for all on and one for all off. The problem is with the all off side.

It looks like it is set to off, but when you open it, it’s actually on. This is what creates the infinite loop of on/off cycles.

Also, this only seems to happen when they’re set to off. The other two states seem to work and save ok.

Alex, did you get a response to your support ticket? If so, what did they say? Did you see my response above?

So after a long time of not hearing back from support, I reached back out a couple times. One support rep thought I could rename all my devices to get things working. We tried with a couple and it didn’t help, so I gave up on that idea. I decided to disable all of the migrated automations. After this, whatever loop I had resolved itself. One thing I noticed with the automations was that my previous logic that listened for a specific button press from my light switches has been dumbed down to just a generic “pressed” event, not specific to which button was pressed. I’m using switches that have multiple button press options (for example https://github.com/DarwinsDen/SmartThingsPublic/blob/master/devicetypes/darwinsden/wd100-dimmer.src/wd100-dimmer.groovy), however the new smartthings automations (https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002056383-Custom-Automations-in-the-SmartThings-app) only have a condition for “presses” not specific button presses. I’m not sure if that played into it or not. Additionally, I wasn’t sure if an automation was creating a press event that would trigger another automation and lead to a loop. Regardless, I’m just going to rebuild that logic in webcore instead of dealing with the missing functionality in the new automations. Unfortunately, it appears I’m going to either have to use the APIs to trigger scenes, use virtual switches or move those into webcore also since you can’t trigger scenes directly now.

1 Like

I noticed with at least one automation a similar thing with it saying on, but under edit nothing was checked.

I was able to resolve my issue by not using “Automations” for lighting control. In my case, I have 4 physical switches for back yard lighting. When any one of them turns on, I want the others to turn on. Then the same thing for turning off. I removed the automations for this and added a Smart App called “Smart Lighting”. Then in there I set up one rule for each switch turning on/off the other three. It has a “Mirror” functionality that I used and it so far works well and doesn’t cause all the on/off/on/off chaos that I was getting before. Maybe this Smart App will work for you?

Actually it started happening again even using the smart app called Smart Lighting.

I’ve been using that smart app for a while now for other things. When I try to add an automation with it and get to the step of selecting the button, the configuration page turns blank. Also, if I try to edit some of the existing instances, but not all, I get a message saying I need to uninstall the app. I might try that, but I’ll also have to port behavior out of that smart app before I do so. So much reconfiguration required because of this forced update. :rage:

I mentioned this in another thread, but it appears that after some recent platform changes (maybe the removal of the button numbers) the devices that support double tap are no longer avoiding those feedback loops. :disappointed_relieved:

If these are all zwave devices that support association, then you should be able to do it with zwave direct association, which would not be affected by the smartthings issues.

If the DTH does not expose the associations, then you should be able to do it with the Z wave Tweaker.

I’m too tired to go into the details today but hopefully this will give enough for other people to go on.

This method will not work if you have a mix of Z wave and zigbee devices, though, or if the devices do not support association.

@Automated_House @Kianoosh_Karami

Webcore still responds properly to the buttons, but like I said, extra work has to be done to use scenes now OR I stop using scenes. The problem there is I don’t have access to pistons easily using google assistant. Though scenes with locks don’t work with google now either, so locking the door at bedtime now takes extra steps too. I get they’re trying to make the platform more secure, but all these changes are making me reconsider if it’s worth investing the energy again with smartthings to set up automations from scratch. It wouldn’t be so bad if doing those things was possible from the browser AND the smartthings app, but not offering that natively is a big turnoff. I let it go in the beginning when there weren’t a lot of other solutions on the market, but over the years, that’s been changing.

1 Like