Device type for MiLight / EasyBulb / LimitlessLED Wifi controller

Jared, first off - GREAT work! This is an amazing implementation of Milight & SmartThings!

I’ve got things up and running quite well (one RGBW strip and an RGBW bulb) and they can be controlled easily from the SmartThings app. My next step will be to mimic the “routines” - you had indicated that routines aren’t possible in the current implementation and that the SmartApps would be necessary instead.

Any chance you can take a look at the logs below and help me determine what I’m missing here? I’ve set up a SmartApp automation instance called “Milight Night Mode” - simple task of turning on the lights, setting the color to red, and dimming to 20%. I can do each of these tasks manually, I’d just like to automate now.

I set the trigger to “when mode changes to Night”, but that didn’t work at all (commands appear to have sent, but nothing changes on the lights). I changed it to “when motion is detected” on one of my Z-Wave sensors, and the same happens - nothing.

Thoughts? Thanks!

@ajma I have both and can confirm they are identical - both work with the limitlessled config tool.

@jared Is anyone else getting problems the last couple of days? Setting colour in the ST app appears to he broken for me on all my bulbs. Only dim and on/off seems to work.

@1bigwink no, it’s working fine.

@jared any thoughts on the SmartApp question above? Can you shed light on what my issue might be?

Thanks for the great work!

I got a RGBW Bulb, and everything is set up and working. However, I seem to be having a similar issue as ryan. Through the smartthings app, I can select the RGBW bulb, and change the color manually, and everything works. Automation however seems to not work at all. Sometimes on off commands work, but I have not been able to change the color with any automation. I have tried the Smartlighting app, Rule Machine, nothing seems to work.

@SheffS4 @ryanborstelmann idk I probably did something wrong with the device type, but since it’s the holidays and this is a personal project which works perfect for me well at home, I’m not providing any support. Features and bug fixes will get added as I have the time and desire.

There is a git repo, please contribute. Bug reports with logs would be a good place to start.

I have some EasyBulb GU10 and BC lamps, and an LED strip on its way, as well as the EasyBulb WiFi box.

I’m new to ST, and tbh, am finding it more complicated than I first hoped. I was hoping a lot would be fully integrated within the iOS ST app, but to me even basic stuff like, between certain times, if a sensor activated, then alert me, but even this I had to search for some code on the forum to get it to work.

Anyway back to EasyBulb, because of the above, will this be too complicated for me to try? How is the integration between ST and EasyBulb? Work good enough? I want some basic, if a sensor as activated then switch on light etc.

Thanks

@R2D2 Getting the bulbs to perform actions is no different than you would have done for other stuff. The Smart Lighting app will do that once you have the easybulb added to your ST account. In terms of adding the easybulbs then you’ll need to modify your wifi bridge using the limitless led admin tool software (Windows based). Once you’ve done that and have the MAC address and IP of your device then you can create the device types and devices in SmartThings developer - as per Jareds instructions above (see first post). To do this you’ll need access to https://graph.api.smartthings.com and do via your PC/Laptop browser.

Theres plenty of people here that can help though and Jared’s instructions are really good - start by setting up your bridge normally and grouping the bulbs (instructions in the box with the wifi bridge). Once the bulbs are working locally then download the limitless LED tool and reconfigure the wifi box (note once you do this only ST or the hardware remotes will be able to control your bulbs, the easybulb phone app will likely no longer work). Then the last step is just creating the device in the SmartThings developer console. If you get stuck post a message and I’m sure someone will help :smile:

Edit: Just a thought but you shouldn’t have needed ‘code’ for the actions you described - alot of the core ST apps or features will do what you have described (e.g. ‘notify me if’) via the app without needing developer access… for now though Jared’s solution does.

Probably too complicated. It’s all very alpha/proof of concept at this point

Ah so the author says its too complicated for a noob like me… :frowning: pity, really wanted this integration.

Also re-reading the first post, it says that it won’t work on colour (RGB) lamps anyway? all mine are currently colour lamps, so is this out completely now?

Do you think the only option I have now is to buy one of these Zigbee wall switches to control at least the on/off of all the lamps at once (not different colours I know), and then its full integration with ST. Means I could then if a sensor between 12am and 6am, on the doors or windows is activated, switch on the EasyBulbs lamps that are connected to the Zigbee wall switch? would this work?

thanks

@R2D2 It won’t work on the very early lamps that were just RGB (no white). It works fine on the RGBW (colour lamps with white) which are pretty much standard now and I am guessing what you have. Yes if you use Zigbee, Zwave etc (or any other ST compatible) switches, which are added in ST and physically switch on or off the circuit that the lights are on, then you can toggle on/off on the bulbs via this method and see their on/off status in ST - to my knowledge the bulbs have a non volatile memory so when you turn them on they will just go to whatever colour and dim level was set when they were turned off. FYI there is also a wall bracket for the official hardware remote should you want a colour wheel next to the physical switch.

I think Jared is just being cautious to be fair and wants to be clear (understandably) that this is a beta integration with no promises attached. His instructions are pretty good and straightforward to follow, if I was you I’d give it a go - you’ve not really got anything to loose and if you get stuck then I’m happy to help where I can.

Yes it’s the RGBW ones like these

So with the account if work, and not fully compatible with ST, I think I’m going to go the route of the supported switch, if only I could find one for use in UK, 2 wire. Add-on it’s confusing which Fibaro one is needed, 211,212,214…

@R2D2 I’m also in the UK and have the same problem… if you don’t have neutrals in the back boxes then you will find it very difficult. There are some switches that don’t require neutrals, but they do not work very well with LED lights as they still put a small current through the wire which often results in the LED staying partially lit even when off. The best option would be to use some kind of battery operated switch or use a remote on the wall - I think there are some on Amazon, I could probably find you the link if you want?

Yes link away please! So do you have neutrals, and are using the Fibaro items? If so which please? If not what are you planning.

There will be a neutral in light circuit somewhere though, the ceiling rose etc, can I not put the Fibaro in there?

Good morning.

My bulbs seem to have stopped working since last night and all I see is this in the logs:

08:01:15 GMT: error error: groovyx.net.http.ResponseParseException: Internal Server Error

Anyone else with the same issue?

Thanks.

1 Like

@BristolBaz my server side bulb code is under maintenance

1 Like

@jared What are the chances that you could open source the server code as well? I have a couple virtualization hosts at home that would be perfect for hosting my own copy of the server code.

Hi everyone subscribed to this thread,

My DNS host, linode, has been under a denial of service all day and as such you won’t be able to resolve the API endpoint.

I am starting to see more an more users using my code, which is a nice compliment, however I do want to make sure everyone is aware that this project isn’t in a production ready state yet. Eventually, when all the bugs are worked out, and all the features that I want are implemented, it will be moved to a more reliable service provider.

Finally, when I do code updates, they are on the live system (for now). The 20 or so of you using it will not have SmartThings integration working at that time. I don’t really have a method to update you when this is happening, but I’ll try and put the latest news in the top of this forum post.

2 Likes

Hi Jared, any update on the DDOS attack?

Thanks