Device Handler Behavior and local run option

I have several Aeon Multi-sensor 6 detectors on the network. I have replaced the device handler by simply going into graph.api.smarthings.com and accessing the device, editing it and changing the type from a 6 to a 5. Why ? So that the device handler is LOCAL and not CLOUD so that my routines tied to motion work when the Internet is out and also to speed up responses to motion since I don’t have to go out of the home to figure out what to do with local handlers.

This has worked well so far but I have a few questions.

1. Will the device type ever switch back to type 6 (it’s original and it’s actual device type) during an upgrade to the Hub firmware or other significant event which is outside of my control ?
  2. How do I make the gen 6 drivers local instead of limiting the device to use gen 5 handlers which now limits the capabilities of the sensor ?
    a. If I can not, when is this “feature” scheduled for development ?
  3. What is the current ST process to get a device handler approved for local download ? Is there some sort of approval process where the vendor has to submit the handler for “local approval”, subscriber votes ?

Thanks…

There is no current process voting or otherwise for determine which devices run locally.

The Aeon Multisensor 6 is slated to run local when hub firmware v20 is released. I do not have any information as to when that will happen, but it will.

2 Likes