Device Driver Updates

Do device drivers automagically update when an improved version of the driver is uploaded to the driver source, ie. SmartThings, Zooz, etc.?

Yes, although it can take quite a long time, even half a day, if you wait for the automatic update. This is mentioned in the community FAQ:

FAQ: I have no idea what Edge is. Is that a new developer tool? (2022)

Generally (*), yes they do. The action that triggers the update process is a new version being assigned to the channel that your hub installed the existing driver from. Once that happens the new driver should be on your hub within twelve hours. The stock drivers that appear on your hub out of nowhere are also installed from a particular channel, it is just less visible.

(*) Last time I checked, which was quite some time ago, it was quite possible to unenrol a hub from a channel even when you had installed drivers ‘using’ it. In that case I believe that the drivers wouldn’t automatically update. I don’t know if anyone actually does that deliberately though.

2 Likes

Understood. Thank you both.

1 Like

Using the ST CLI command “edge:drivers:install” and selecting a channel and a driver to install will cause an already installed driver to update.

1 Like