Destination Address IP?

We have installed ST in our supermarket for the purpose of monitoring the temperature of the fridges.
The network is maintained and managed by an external contractor.
ST can not make connection to the Samsung server due to active port blocking. UPNP is not enabled and all ports is blocked. The only way to get any port opened is to supply the internal AND external port. We have supplied them with the ports and internal IP, but they refuse to open the ports to 0.0.0.0 they require the destination IP. Can anyone please help me with this info or point me to the correct place?

I can’t answer the question, but do you know that smartthings does not guarantee reliability to any degree, and they specifically mention the possibility of food spoilage?

Smartthings is a very powerful, flexible, low-cost system, but it is a cloud-based system and is not usually considered reliable enough for commercial uses.

https://www.smartthings.com/guidelines

Data accuracy and consistency from SmartThings sensors, including those provided by SmartThings directly, resold by SmartThings, or supported by SmartThings, is not guaranteed. Therefore, you should not rely on that data for any use that impacts health, safety, security, property or financial interests. For example, because temperature readings may vary significantly from reading to reading on an individual device, between devices, or over time, those readings should not be used to control heating and cooling in environments where food spoilage, health risks, or damage to physical goods could occur.

1 Like

So ports are these virtual things that serve as external addresses so the router knows where internally to send traffic addressed to that port.

I don’t know offhand which ports need to be opened (I think it was posted here somewhere) but you should tell the contractor which ports to open, the port type(s) TCP and/or UDP and the destination, which is the INTERNAL address of the hub.

The port is going to be a number between 1024 and 65,536.

“but they refuse to open the ports to 0.0.0.0 they require the destination IP” . . . That’s correct. The ports get opened to the internal IP address of the hub.

Keep in mind that is you get this to work, the IP address assigned to your hub can’t change. That brings up a whole other issue, but I’ll stop here . . .

2 Likes

Contact Support@SmartThings.com

Or sniff the network / temporarily use a Firewall to examine the traffic.

SmartThings likely uses a range of AWS addresses and perhaps some ad hoc ones for various purposes.

SmartThings is not approved for commercial use (reference the Terms of Use), so don’t expect them to be particularly helpful for your case.

1 Like

They for sure use AWS for services. I have three IPs in my logs for today. I’m sure if I go back further in my logs I will quite a few others. It will be a losing battle to try to do any FW rules by IP. If anything it will have to be done via the DNS service name it requires…which I do not know what that is.

I would have assumed something like Monnit would have been more in line with the type of monitoring you are after. They cater to the commercial environment. There are plenty of other options besides them, just happened to come across them at work recently to monitor some industrial coolers.

2 Likes

I understood the OP’s issue was port forwarding. AWS IPs shouldn’t come into play unless the OP’s firewall is blocking some traffic, or am I missing something?

1 Like