[Depricated] Lock Code Manager

This is a great app. Thanks @ethayer for making my Yale lock more useful.

I had a related question.

What are the events Zwave locks report? Do they include wrong pin entry, lockout and so on?

Is there a way to have the app tell me when the door is locked?

Erik,

Not sure you saw my response, I don’t see it in the thread.

Why do you want to use this app? What problem are you trying to solve?
I want to use the app to remotely (2 hours from the lock) add and delete codes for a vacation rental.

What are the steps you’ve taken so far, from start to finish? this may include information like:
a. What have you tried, that you’ve expected to work, but have not?
b. Did you install my custom device handler?
c. While not giving specific codes per se, what codes have you tried to program? How many of them?

I installed the app on my phone. Tried to enter/reenter the codes that were manually added to the lock on the app. Some worked some didn’t.
I don’t know about "custom device handler"
I tried to enter ~16 codes, the two factory set code, one for me and one for my partner, the cleaner and the rest would have been upcoming renters (weekly).

Still holding out hope I can get this to work…

Thanks!!!

I’m sorry for being slow to respond! It’s pretty important that you use the custom device driver. It will make the app a lot more dependable.

Install that in your custom device here:

Add Device Driver:

1. Navigate to: https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ide/devices
  2. Click ‘New SmartDevice’ in the upper right.
  3. Click ‘From Code’
  4. Paste the code from the link (github) above into the text area: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ethayer/user-lock-manager/master/zwave-lock.groovy
  5. Click ‘Create’
  6. Click ‘Save’
  7. Click ‘Publish’ > ‘For Me’

Change lock device driver to new code:

1. Navigate to ‘My Devices’: https://graph.api.smartthings.com/device/list
  2. Locate your lock and click on the name in the first column
  3. Click ‘Edit’ on the bottom of the page view
  4. In the ‘Type’ drop-down scroll to the bottom and select ‘Z-Wave Lock Reporting’
  5. Click ‘Update’ to save changes

After completing these steps, try to use the app again.

Since you don’t know what codes are in what slots, set all codes in the app first, and then set them all to DISABLED. Click save on the app and then let the app delete all the codes.

After the codes are all deleted, set all the codes to ENABLED and let the app program the lock(s).

Remember the rule that there are only really 5 unique keys. [1,2][3,4][5,6][7,8][9,0]

Allow 5 - 10 minutes for the app to delete the codes, and another 5-10 minutes for the app to program the codes into the lock.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Erik

1 Like

@Ben, @April

Is there any chance to include my custom report hook into the official SmartThings device type (or an event hook that is similar to the hook I provide)?

https://github.com/ethayer/user-lock-manager/commit/17b9922c06d04394369c700de743d7bf7c575623#diff-073bfcb72eac3bd38d2c060c4998e299R678

This simple change would allow me to drop the requirement for a custom device driver and allow me to submit the app to ST to be offered as an app proper. I think the community would appreciate this being an official SmartThings offering.

4 Likes

@Tyler how do we get this considered?

2 Likes

I have a similar request… ie, a SmartApp or two, but that should be simultaneously submitted / accepted with a Device Type Handler update.

I guess in many cases the Device Type Handler update could be submitted first as a prerequisite. But Device Types must be a bit harder to get certified. Ideally I’d start with just an incremental change to the existing Type, to help ensure approval.

Overall point… Device Type Handler approval is nearly as important as SmartApp approvals.

And… Ideally there should be a mechanism for Customers to select from a (short) list of multiple choices of Certified Handlers once a signature matches… @Tyler?

1 Like

Yeah, makes total sense that the drivers would be highly stringent. Still, would be nice for ST to be able to support these features.

ST drives the community, and the community drives ST.

Let’s work together!

2 Likes

This would be a submission in the IDE for an updated device type. We haven’t been accepting updates to existing device types, but as we’ve been able to add resources to that team we’d love to take a look at your suggestion.

This is something I’ve given a lot of thought to. I don’t see us ever surfacing multiple device types for a single device in the mobile app. It adds too much complexity to what is already a very complex onboarding experience. I’d be curious to hear any feedback about that though.

1 Like

What about something as simple as an “Advanced” text button as part of the process. This would be fairly small and out of the way…aka innocuous. It allows you to display multiple types, but during the on boarding process it’ll just default to the standard one unless someone presses advanced. In my experience for a software company (albeit several years in the past) and in my many years as an IT director, most people don’t tap something small like that unless they are explicitly told to. You can put a warning page in between that says doom and gloom, etc.

However, I also completely agree with your desire to not make the process any more complicated. But, I think to do that more resources would be needed to ensure that the device drivers were very robust and use all available features of the products. (Of course, would help if the manufacturers documented things perfectly! :slight_smile: )

1 Like

New user to smarthings. Have a hub as well as a few light switches. Recently added a Schlage Camelot and have loved using this app to set codes. My big thing is to be able to set individual codes to only work on certain days. Specifically I have my in laws coming to my house every Tuesday and only want their code to work on Tuesdays in a certain time window. It looks like I can set this for all users as a blanket, but not for individuals. Is that right? Any and all help is appreciated.

That’s right. ST limits each app install to a certain number of schedule calls per instance. For this reason, I do not support individual user schedules. It’s easy enough to get around though.

Use another instance of the app and program your inlaw’s user slots and schedule into that one instead of your Always-On instance. Just be sure to use unique slot numbers.

Thank you for this wonderful work. I installed a Yale YRD220-ZW today. With your code installed, the only piece missing for me is the ability to set a longer wait for the automatic re-lock feature. Thanks again.

if you set the door up in smart things doors and locks you can do the auto re-lock to whatever time yo want from there. thats how i did mine before finding the lock manager and didnt bother to change it latter. I set mine to 5 minutes

Yep, This.

I named this app ‘Lock Code Manager’ because it manages codes, not the locking function. It won’t unlock or lock your doors for you*. There are other apps for that. =)

*unless you program a hello home action to do so.

Hey Erik… thanks for all you’ve done here… very advanced app you’ve created!

I’ve run into an issue when utilizing multiple instances… it appears that if I create 2 users in additional instances of the app and assign them to slots 6 & 7 (for example), it assigns them to that slot, but then deletes users in slot 1 & 2 (users created and managed by the first instance of the app)… this causes the two instances to fight over the assignment of the slot (delete code, sendCodes fix)… this gets worse as you create additional instances…

I will PM you some live logs… if possible, please review and confirm? Thanks.

Thanks for your logs. I think I have this fixed. Please try v3.8.1 and let me know if this fixes the issue.

1 Like

Looks to be working as advertised! Thanks for the quick response Erik!

Great! I’m glad that worked. Silly oversight by me. I’m surprised you’re the first one to submit the bug.

Yeah, me too… I was racking my brain because I assumed this would be working based on all the other posts… Working like a charm now… Thanks again.