[OBSOLETE][[DEPRECIATED] Jasco/GE Motion Dimmer Switch 26933

@hounddawg I posted one in the switch thread. Should be the exact same. Let me know if you need help from here.

https ://community.smartthings.com/t/jasco-ge-motion-switch-26931/81980/98?u=mlebaugh

Just read this entire thread and ordered one of these dimmers :grin: This looks perfect for use in bathrooms where the door is normally closed and the room would become dark.

Iā€™m curious, if the dimmer is already on at something less than 100% and the top button is pressed, what is the behavior? Does it go to 100% immediately? Conversely, if the dimmer is on at full brightness and the up button is pressed, does it go down to its current default level?

Iā€™m also curious, @mlebaugh how you are implementing your dusk.dawn/overcast modes? Is that 1 mode or 3 separate modes? I was previously using global variables to store these sort of states to get around having only one built-in mode, but was convinced by some others that a virtual switch might be betterā€¦ although a single virtual switch is binary and wouldnā€™t be able to differentiate between day, dawn/dusk, overcast, and night.

If the dimmer is below 100% and the up button is pressed, it will go to 100% at whatever ramp rate is set. This could be immediately or slowly depending on your settings.

If the switch is at 100% and up is pushed nothing happens. Down will begin to dim at whatever your dinner rate settings is and if held turn off.

My global dimmer is actually a very long webCoRE pistonā€¦ The dim level is a function of the lux level outside, this is the target point. Every x number of minutes the piston will set the actual level to try to hit this target point. This prevents rapid changes in the dim level and slowly adjusts through the day. Every dimmer I have in the house uses these ā€œdim levelā€ variables to turn on with. In addition, I have a virtual switch that overrides these variables if turned on.

If there is interest Iā€™ll post this monster of a piston, but it will be up to you to try to modify it for your useā€¦ Not gonna try to support it.

Iā€™d be interested in seeing this piston - was looking how to do this in Core.

Here it isā€¦ Its really long due to the 3 zones I have. Might not be the most efficient way to do it either. There is a separate dim level for the Living Spaces, Hall Spaces, and my Stairs (the lights here are super bright so i have to dim them more).

1 Like

Thank you. Impressive.

You might want to consider posting this on the WebCore forum/wiki as an example. https://wiki.webcore.co/Samples

Matt,

I love these devices and your device handler that unlocks their full potential. Iā€™m running into an issue with the reset cycle. I would like for the device to sense motion immediately if it turned off due to a lack of motion, however I would like for it to be temporarily disabled when the user manually turns it off. As I understand from your description, as well as my own experimenting with the device and handler the reset cycle is active upon a lack of motion and not a button press. I wrote piston to be executed upon pressing button 2 and it works nicely, however; when the device turns off from a lack of motion this apparently also triggers the piston as if button 2 were pressed even though it was not. Any idea of what might be happening?

Thanks!

I think I might know what is happening. Can you share your piston so I can recreate the issue? Though I probably wonā€™t have time to test it until next weekend.

My motion dimmer arrived and I got it installed. It originally came up as ā€œmultichannel deviceā€ but then I got the device handler loaded so I thought I was good. However, it looked like I still wasnā€™t getting access to change things like timeout duration through smarttings, so I removed it from the network but now I canā€™t get the hub to see it again. I tried to follow the paper instructions that came with the switch to reset, but the button-push sequences donā€™t seem to work as described. (It says if I want to reset to factory defaults, tap the top button 5 times within 10 seconds and the LED will flash 3 timesā€¦ except nothing happens.

EDIT: Got it to reset and add it back to the network, this time it came up as "GE Z-Wave Plus Motion Wall Dimmer, but it seems I still donā€™t have access to timeout duration in webcore. I assumed Iā€™d be able to set this. No?

EDIT2: The paper instructions are wrong. If you want to change, for example the motion sensitivity, the instructions say press the up button 3x and then hold the down button until it flashes the corresponding number of times. Thatā€™s wrong. you have to press DOWN 3x, wait for the light to start flashing ā€œindefinitelyā€, then hold the up button until the corresponding number of flashes.

EDIT3: Is there a reason the default level only recognizes 0-99, instead of 0-100?

Just a general reply about this product and the 26931 product: I donā€™t think they like being on 3-way set-ups.

If you turn them off from the accessory switch, they tend to lose their connection to the hub. You then have to exclude them, re-pair them, and also deal with a ghost device that gets created somehow. To fix that, you need to make a fake device in the web service, attach the ghost device ID to it, and delete it using the phone app. Thatā€™s a really painful process to go through just for switching something off using an accessory switch, and I think Iā€™m going to be removing the accessories and spackling over the switch box.

1 Like

Iā€™d love to hear otherā€™s that use or have used these in a 3 way setup. I have a few of them now and LOVE them. Iā€™m just getting ready to install one in a 3 way setupā€¦

If youā€™re having problems with the companion switch, then instead, couldnā€™t you use another of the 26933ā€™s, and hook up only neutral, line, and ground (just cap the load and traveler wires) and then set up a ST routine or webcore piston to link the ā€œrealā€ one to the ā€œfakeā€ one? Would be more expensive but might solve your problem.

Maybe, but hereā€™s what I worry might happen in that set up: Motion on one turns the light on, while the second one sees the motion a fraction of a second later and turns the light back off :slight_smile:

I think simply removing the helper switch from the equation and patching the hole would be less frustrating overall.

For reference - I have two of these and both have exhibited this behavior (luckily the accessory switches are on opposite sides of the same wall, to make patching simpler). The first I nearly threw out and eventually got a refund from Jasco forā€¦and about a month later managed to get back online. I would be happy to hear others experiences as well.

You could put the 2nd one in vacancy or manual mode, so that only the 1st oneā€™s motion sensor is active. If youā€™re still set on removing the 2nd switch entirely from the equation, why not just put a blank cover over the switch box, rather than hiding it from all future homeowners?

I donā€™t know how to paste in webCoRE code and make it pretty, but this is the pertinent code.

Function 1
ā€¦
if Master Bathroom Dimmerā€™s button #2 gets pushed
then
do Execute piston (Function 2);
else
end if;
ā€¦

Function 2 ā€¦
execute
with
Master Bathroom Dimmer
do
Manual();
Wait 25 seconds;
Occupancy();
end with;
end execute;

Youā€™re right, a blank is a more practical approach.
I admit I go overboard sometimes :slight_smile: .

So far, this DH is great, easy to setup and up and running on two Dimmer/Motion switches. Thank you.

Iā€™ve published this device handler to my Device List but I canā€™t find it anywhere in the Marketplace. Where do I locate this handler after I publish?? I looked at My Apps but not there even after I logged out and back in. A bit new to this process. Thanks.

Also, device IDE reports 'No data found for deviceā€™
Even though raw description is ā€˜zw:L type:1101 mfr:0063 prod:494D model:3034 ver:5.27 zwv:4.34 lib:03 cc:5E,72,5A,73,26,27,2B,2C,70,86,71,60,8E,85,59,7A,56 role:05 ff:8600 ui:8600 ep:[ā€˜1101 5E,59,26ā€™, ā€˜0701 5E,59,71ā€™]ā€™

Is this correct?

After you publish it in the device handlers, go add your switch (new thing) to SmartThings. It just picked it right up when it did it. Itā€™s not really an app in the marketplace, the options are embedded in the device settings for that thing.