[OBSOLETE][[DEPRECIATED] Jasco/GE Motion Dimmer Switch 26933

Nice work!

I don’t think that groups 2/3 are the issue though, I think group 1 seems to be the one that sends the motion. The other groups will be necessary for button pushes to be used as a trigger.

I just did some testing with what you provided. Here were the scenarios:

missing group 1: no Motion
group1: motion
group1&2: motion
group 1&2&3: motion

Awesome :slight_smile: I wonder if the association behavior is different between the dimmers and the switches. IIRC, the dimmer only worked upon adding group 1, and the switches were already associated with group 1 and only worked upon removal of 2 and 3.

That said, I could totally be wrong.

Thanks for writing this DTH!

1 Like

Interesting, I’ll check the switch as well. Once I get it sorted I’ll roll it into the DTH.

1 Like

Also, I noticed that when I press on/off in the app, the new dimmer state isn’t updated. I think for on & off the switch needs to poll again for status after the dimming operation is completed. Borrowing this from the Enhanced Dimmer Switch handler, it’s:

def on() {
    //zwave.basicV1.basicSet(value: 0xFF).format()
    delayBetween([zwave.basicV1.basicSet(value: 0xFF).format(), zwave.switchMultilevelV1.switchMultilevelGet().format()], 5000)
}

def off() {
	//zwave.basicV1.basicSet(value: 0x00).format()
    delayBetween ([zwave.basicV1.basicSet(value: 0x00).format(), zwave.switchMultilevelV1.switchMultilevelGet().format()], 5000)
}

Hi @mlebaugh. I just bought one of these switches and installed it today using the generic multi dimmer dth and then I saw this thread. I read through and saw you have been continually working on this and I wasn’t sure if the OP had the latest version of the DTH you are building or if there is a github repo I can sync from. I would be happy to test as well.

I haven’t done much work on this recently, but I just updated the OP with the most recent version I have. The last thing I did was correct the on/off as @funkzy pointed out and add the association feature from the regular ge zwave+ dimmer/switch as well.

Thanks. I will install it today and give it a try.

I saw this interesting use case of using this sensor as an independent motion sensor… wonder if that can be incorporated in the device handler : https://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=187607

I’m not sure what you are referring to, the device handler does expose the motion sensor independent of the light.

There is no reason to have it as a separate device in smartthings. A device can have unlimited capabilities all in one device.

@mlebaugh I wanted to use the motion sensor on this light switch as an INDEPENDENT motion sensor and control other devices. Is that possible with the current device handler ? Thx in advance

@skhandu Yes.

Made a lot of changes since the last update, this is the release candidate now.

Added github integration.

How about double tap? I’m guessing it is not supported. Anyone here know if it will be supported in the future?

Does Switch Orientation work for anyone else because its not working for me? I thought that parameter 5 controlled this, not 4.

Just got a couple of these, and working well for the basics. Thanks for putting this together!

However, seeing a few issues I hope you can help with:

• As mentioned above, I see the “Mode: 0 Tap to Toggle” with no indication of what the current mode actually is. Tapping the button does in fact toggle the mode, but I have to switch to the Recent Events to see what mode I just switched to.
  • The items in Settings don’t error out when I touch Done, but don’t seem to actually apply, either. I attempted to set a longer timeout, but it continued to shut off quickly; I attempted to explicitly change the mode, but that didn’t take until I used the toggle tile.

Am I doing something wrong?

Separately, I have two dimmer locations where these will be installed in the same room. One doesn’t actually have good motion sensor visibility to anything except one entrance to the room. What I’d like is that if either sees motion, neither will turn off automatically. Is adding the other switch into Group 2 sufficient, or would I need to set the switches to Manual and use a SmartApp or CoRE piston to accomplish that?

Sorry for the lack of updates, we recently had a baby and she is taking a lot of my time.

@tkdrob

I was never able to get double tap to work on the dimmer. I think this is due to the fact that a single tap turns on, the second is supposed to raise to full brightness. But I might be wrong…

I do have a bug that was noticed on switch orientation on the switch version, I assume it is also in the dimmer.

@MikeBishop

Do you have a copy of the device logs for when you set your settings?

As for your room layout, I have a few similar setups. What I would suggest is to put both switches in occupancy with a long or disabled timeout. Then use a smartapp/webCoRE to turn on/off switch1 using motion events from switch2. same thing for switch2, on/off with events from switch1. In this scenario the switch may already be on due to the occupancy before the smartapp triggers, but that shouldn’t matter. The reason I would suggest using the onboard occupancy is that it is much faster than the cloud based triggers.

My main phone is Windows, which seems to be slightly more bug-prone under SmartThings, so I have an Android device I use for anything “questionable.” When I get home, I’ll try re-setting some things and capturing the logs. I assume this is the “live logging” from the IDE site?

That’s a great suggestion for cross-wiring them – I assume that sending an “on” command to the switch resets the occupancy timeout?

Yeah logs from the live logging from the device.

I do not believe that the on command resets the timeout. However that is why I suggest in your case making the timeout on the dimmer as long as possible (or disabled) and controlling the “off” command from a smartapp/webCoRE instead. To me the ON command is more important to be nearly instant and I don’t care if there is a delay from the cloud in turning it off. Really that is why I like these switches so much, the ON command is local - so the lights are nearly instant.

You could also as you said use the association groups to “link” them. I do this for one of my normal GE dimmers - paired with this dimmer. There still is a slight delay, but not as noticeable as if it was using a cloud app. Also note that if you “link” one of these 26933 dimmers to another 26933 dimmer, it may appear as a button push on the remotely triggered device. This just means the button push function (for triggering other smartapps by button) won’t be as reliable.

1 Like

Here’s the trace from toggling the lights on/off (to check that logging would display something), then turning them from Manual to Vacancy and back via the Settings page:

02ed5a51-4d3f-4d14-abb5-fa1d4c16fd0e  10:38:11 PM: debug getChildDevices(false), children=0
02ed5a51-4d3f-4d14-abb5-fa1d4c16fd0e  10:38:11 PM: trace in ssdpDiscover
e2f1e56a-7176-45a6-8287-594e81e3fe17  10:37:55 PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object @ line 663
e2f1e56a-7176-45a6-8287-594e81e3fe17  10:37:55 PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object @ line 663
e2f1e56a-7176-45a6-8287-594e81e3fe17  10:37:38 PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object @ line 663
e2f1e56a-7176-45a6-8287-594e81e3fe17  10:37:38 PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object @ line 663
e2f1e56a-7176-45a6-8287-594e81e3fe17  10:37:30 PM: debug Parse returned [[name:switch, value:off, isStateChange:false, displayed:false, linkText:Play Room Lights, descriptionText:Play Room Lights switch is off]]
e2f1e56a-7176-45a6-8287-594e81e3fe17  10:37:30 PM: debug ---SWITCH MULTILEVEL REPORT V3--- Play Room Lights sent SwitchMultilevelReport(value: 0)
e2f1e56a-7176-45a6-8287-594e81e3fe17  10:37:30 PM: debug parse() >> zwave.parse(zw device: 09, command: 2603, payload: 00 )
e2f1e56a-7176-45a6-8287-594e81e3fe17  10:37:25 PM: debug Parse returned [[name:switch, value:off, isStateChange:false, displayed:false, linkText:Play Room Lights, descriptionText:Play Room Lights switch is off]]
e2f1e56a-7176-45a6-8287-594e81e3fe17  10:37:25 PM: debug ---SWITCH MULTILEVEL REPORT V3--- Play Room Lights sent SwitchMultilevelReport(value: 0)
e2f1e56a-7176-45a6-8287-594e81e3fe17  10:37:25 PM: debug parse() >> zwave.parse(zw device: 09, command: 2603, payload: 00 )

Thank you for the log. I fixed the issue that you were seeing. This actually prevented you from saving any settings.