[DEPRECIATED] BitBar V2: Display & Control SmartThings from the macOS Menubar

LOL same here

1 Like

No worries. As you say, looks like a ST issue (when is there not a ST issue). The message you posted suggests some quota has been exceeded. I think Iā€™ve read about similar issue before.

2 Likes

If this error does not resolve itself by tomorrow, I will submit a ticket to ST Support and see what they can see on their end.

Wondering if thereā€™s a bigger issue going on here. Over in the NST Manager thread there is some discussion about security changes at ST.

that error indicates too many executions occurred. http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/ratelimits/index.html?highlight=rate%20limit

The security changes i mentioned are related updating objects in the ide. (Like changing a smartapp repo setting)

1 Like

Thanks for that clarification.

1 Like

@tonesto7, However, there has not been any recent changes to the SmartAPP that would have caused this rate limit exceeded error and it just so happened to occur with several people all at the same time which is amazing that we all hit the limit at the same time.

Here is the wonderful response from SmartThings Supportā€¦ :rage:

Hello there,

Thank you for contacting SmartThings today! Iā€™m so sorry youā€™re having trouble with your custom SmartApps. Iā€™d be glad to help point you in the right direction. Unfortunately we do not support custom smartapp development at this center. For SmartApp development we recommend you refer to the community community.smartthings.com as we have active devs there that can answer questions and in this center we do not have any trained in programming, but for the use of the SmartThings System. I really apologize for the inconvenience and hope that you are able to get that figured out. Thank you for contacting SmartThings today, if you have any other questions or concerns, please donā€™t hesitate to reach back out to us!

Best regards,

Daniel
Support Engineer

I wish you the best in getting a speedy resolution :expressionless:
Iā€™m pinging some of the contacts I know
@jody.albritton @vlad Is there any way to get this escalated?

my live logging shows:

After some more reading on this ST error message, and my head still spinning why this would all of a sudden hit some of us at the same time, it appears the work around is to limit the number of sensors that you are requesting. In my example, I decreased the temperature, motion and contact sensors to my most critical and this moved the rate limit error in the log to a different line.

The REAL difference was decreasing in the number of historical events to 10 events and ONLY 1 day. Bingo, the ST error disappeared and executed.

I will look at this most version and see what I can do to reduce the work that SmartThings performs and move this processing to the Mac where possible. I may end up severely limiting the EVENT HISTORY MAXIMUMS since this might be the straw that broke the ST Cloudā€™s camels backā€¦:rage:

3 Likes

yep, that fixed it

Just making this change has not resolved it for me.

I guess I still have too many sensors, etc and the above change alone is not enough.

I think I remember reading about the rate limits changing again in the thread about the upcoming ST developer changes. I guess they are making changes and we are starting to see the affects.

Everything is failing for you today :frowning:

1 Like

Fixed it for me

Itā€™s an awesome day! LOL

Iā€™ve been installing some LED strips as well and I donā€™t like how it looks so I have to redo them tomorrow :weary:.

Now itā€™s cocktail and wife time.

Iā€™m confident this new error that was introduced {without any change on my side} was either:

1. A new lower execution time limit imposed on the ST cloud;
  2. The ST cloud platform is running slower for the devices and event history that the APP is requesting.
  3. ST Management is worried about the increasing number of SmartApps and their escalating hardware costs.

The BitBar Output APP is really not overly complex (IMHO) & doing much heavy lifting but requesting device status. The MAC is performing the real crunching and formatting. I was thinking of pushing more of the processing to the ST cloud, but glad I had not started that path now that ST is being so strict on their run time limits.

I can create a new BitBar OutPut Version that executes in several separate parts, ie, get some devices, then get some other devices, then get events, etc? What a means to skin the same cat.

1 Like

@jkp @kurtsanders @Nezmo @greg

The classic rate limits can be found here.
http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/ratelimits/index.html

The ā€œNew APIā€ rate limits and what will become the future rate limits can be found here.
https://smartthings.developer.samsung.com/develop/guides/smartapps/rate-limits.html

There is a chance that a backend change could be enforcing some of the new lower execution limits. I will ask internally to see if that change was pushed.

5 Likes

Thanks @jody.albritton for the links to the classic & new limits. Quite a change in several areas. I will have to modify areas that are troublesome, which can be hard to determine when so much of the run time is dynamic with the selection of more and more devices, status, number of historical events, etc.

I {do} suspect that something on the ST backend was enforced/changed. Would have been nice to have a heads up for smartAPPs that were over the new limits, but for now, users can select fewer devices or history on devices to stay under the ā€œrate limitsā€.

Right. Although history has shown this does not happen. Changes are made at ST; something breaks; we scramble to find a solution.

I have a feeling this is going to spill over in to other apps if it has not already.

ST is feeling particularly fragile to me right now. It feels like ST are slowly locking things down to where if youā€™re using stock code (which typically is very basic and often lacks the full functionality a device offers) youā€™re probably okay otherwise things are starting to break. A real shame given the huge effort devs put in to the custom apps and handlers.

@Nezmo I should have seen these restrictive controls coming!

I remember way back in the day when we had unlimited computer time on the Ohio State college mainframe. Then slowly each year the IT department started to limit program run time, print output, number of programs per day, functions, languages, etcā€¦ GroundDog Day returns!

1 Like