[DEPRECIATED] BitBar V2: Display & Control SmartThings from the macOS Menubar

@luckyearl: That explains it! :grimacing:
I did not plan that one’s thermostat would return a missing value which caused the error you identified. I have made a minor change to the ST_Python_Logic code to prevent this error condition. Please either manually copy the new ST_Logic_Python.py file and paste into the file in your BitBar Plugins directory or use the shortcut download option in the “ST Actions and Shortcuts” BitBar menu and replace the older version in your BitBar plugins directory.

The corrected ST_Logic_Python.py is now in my STBitBarApp-V2 GitHub repository.

2 Likes

hey Kurt

Like ur sense of humour, well done mate, all fixed :+1:

Cheers

1 Like

Reporting a small bug 

In the history for presence the icon is showing an X regardless of the event. It did this in the previous version for me on a Life360 presence ‘device’ but it worked correctly for my phone/ST app presence. In BitBar V2 it is not working for either.

29 AM

1 Like

@Nezmo:

Thanks for finding this bug in the event displays, I guess I thought I was always ‘away’ when I saw the 'X’s. :joy:

I have made a minor change to the ST_Python_Logic code to correct this false condition.

Please either manually copy the new ST_Logic_Python.py file and paste into the file in your BitBar Plugins directory or use the shortcut download option in the “ST Actions and Shortcuts” BitBar menu and replace the older version in your BitBar plugins directory.

2 Likes

All good now Kurt, thanks.

Note, updating from the shortcut did not work. It did download a file and I copied it to the right directory but it seems like it was not the latest update as the issue was not corrected in events. I manually copied and pasted and all was good.

Works fine here! Observation: we are 3 persons, and having the 3rd presence sensor under yet another sub-menu seems a bit redundant.

Wanted behaviour:

Maybe there’s settings for this in the ST-app. Sure would be nice to have access to the preferences on the computer as well, instead of juggling multiple devices. Not complaining, just trying to streamline the UX :slight_smile:

You can adjust the settings for # of items displayed. By default, it is set to auto-size between present/not present.

Open the ST app, go to Automation: SmartApps: BitBar Output App, then select BitBar Output Menu Display Options, then choose Sensor Status Icon Display Options. On that screen on the bottom Option: Min Number of Presence Sensors to Display, put 3 in that field. A blank field sets it to auto-size by default.

2 Likes

Looks like @jkp hit the nail on the head for the forced display of all your presence sensors.

I too would love to control all the various options from the Mac, leaving just the selected devices to the mobile client. Perhaps someday I can work on a means to change some settings locally and override global settings in the mobile client.

There are complexities & support downsides to creating global and local settings, being:

1. Local user options would need to be stored in a local preferences file that could get corrupted, moved, etc.
  2. If BitBar would not display a menu for some reason because of an invalid local option setting, for example, I would be unable to help each user find their locally stored preferences file, delete it, and start over.

Hopefully the number of times one has to access the mobile client after finding the perfect look & feel for their menu would be minimal.

Great suggestion though, as I hate having to access both for support and new development.

1 Like

@Nezmo: I analyzed STBitBar’s Actions and Shortcuts ‘Download’ old file problem that you identified above. I think I found the problem along with a fix. I appreciate you finding and reporting this.

Answer: A web proxy cache holds an outdated version of the ST_Python_Logic.py file in its local cache.

Action: Download updated 2.31 ST.5M.sh file. With your favorite text editor, like textedit, open the downloaded file and copy the contents from this version into the same filename in the BitBars Plugin directory.

3 Likes

Good stuff Kurt. Updating now.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Kurt,

I am receiving the error in the screenshot.

When I click “Run in Terminal” I receive the error message "ycetindil$ /Users/ycetindil/Documents/BitBar/ST.5m.sh File “/Users/ycetindil/Documents/BitBar/ST/ST_Python_Logic.py”, line 117
print “Severe Error:” + str(e)
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Can you please help? Thanks.

1 Like

Unsure if this going to help but its worth a try

post 108

cheers

1 Like

@ycetindil

I will PM you with some thoughts on this.

Fixed
:raised_hands:

1 Like

Updated to V2 without issue. :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Kurt @kurtsanders

WOW, I’m brand new to ST, just bought a ST Hub V2 and couple sensors
I was able to follow your V2 instructions with out confusion, no issues, it worked with out a struggle.
Using one Samsung Multipurpose and one Visonic sensor from Temperature monitoring, no issues.

I’ve since added two more Visonic sensors. The new sensors are appearing fine on the Mobile App and Webpage, BUT not showing up in your macOS BitBar. Any tip on getting new added devices to show up?

04 AM

Is there any chance you didn’t authorize the new sensors in the bitbar app? Anytime you add a new device you will have to open the installed app and authorize new devices. Just a thought.

1 Like

Greg @greg

Any tip on where I’d find the re-authorize feature in BitBar app?

03 AM

I don’t see a “Re-authorize” feature in this dialog screen. Tip on where to look?

You have to open the app on your mobile device. Go to the smart things app, automations tab, find bit bar - then scroll down a bit.

1 Like

Greg @greg
Thanks, that was a simple tweak, new sensors now appearing in BitBar :sunglasses:

1 Like

@GetSmarter,

Here is where you authorize in the mobile BitBar Output App SmartApp to list your SmartThing Temperature Sensors in the macOS menu each time you add new or want to remove.

As you can see, I have several of these temperature sensors check-marked.

BitBar Output App

Select “Which Temperature Sensors”

IMG_7654

Check-Mark the Sensors

IMG_7655

Make sure you press ‘Done’ after selecting the temperature sensors you desire, and Done to exit the mobile BitBar Output App.

1 Like