[DEPRECATED] Updated Ecobee Suite, v1.4.0 (Free)

I imagine they will, eventually. I heard something about the API in summer. It turns on and off lights and has motion and lux sensors. Bringing them into part of your home automation would be valuable.

Yes, but I think you can already connect them using SmartThings Marketplaceā€¦

I have not found it on there. We are talking about this:

https://www.ecobee.com/switch-plus/

Do you know where it is?

The DTH for the switch is in SmartThingsCommunityā€™s gihub, but they removed the switch support from their Ecobee (Connect) SmartApp a few days ago. I know the API is different, and comes with an overhaul of the Thermostat/Sensor API as well, but I donā€™t know the schedules. But SmartThings did tell me they do plan to support the new switch+.

I guess weā€™ll have to wait for Ecobee to release the APIā€¦

1 Like

For reference here is the Ecobee support page for connecting the switch to Smartthings.

The issue I have is that I canā€™t find the device type when I try to add it. I am guess SmartThings hasnā€™t rolled that part out yet.

1 Like

I am trying to run the Smart Mode but when I hit Save, I get an error of ā€œAn unexpected error occurredā€. I have it named, I have picked my thermostat, using the thermostatā€™s weather temp, my above temp at 85/cool and below temp 58/heat, between set to off and my notify on activations with a push to myself.

I have a question about how program change events are reported. I have a program change at 4:30 am called Awake on the Ecobee 3. But when I look at my events log itā€™s not reported by the handler as an event change until 5:30 am. I am looking at this variable: currentProgramName.

Looking at my Suite Manager polling interval itā€™s set to 5 minutes but that doesnā€™t explain the 45 minute differences. This prevents a webCoRE pistion from setting scenes until 5:30 am vs. the wakeup time.

I planned to use the Ecobee in SmartThings like I have been programming in my Vera clients. The easy way to set events was from the programming of the thermostat.

Any suggestions on getting a more direct response when modes changes? Auto home and away seems to report instantaneously.

Thanks

Could you please try to capture the live-logging for the Smart Mode helper when this happens? If so, please PM it to meā€¦

So, you should be seeing the Program changes with the next poll after it changes - if it doesnā€™t appear to change for a full hour, there is definitely something amiss.

My first guess would be that the clocks arenā€™t set correctly for SmartThings or for your Ecobee - you might just want to verify both think it is the same time (within no more than 1-2 minutes).

Second, Iā€™d try setting the polling frequency to 1 minute and see if that works better. Thatā€™s what I use, and I can see the thermostatā€™s automatic/scheduled program changes within 1 minute - routinely, for all 5 thermostats, 4 times a day (Awake, Home, Away, Sleep)ā€¦

If neither of those solve it, ping me back again

Hmmā€¦donā€™t have control over the time on either platform. Looking at the time in SmartThings it matches the Ecobee. I will try the 1 minute interval and let it soak for a few days. Thank you for the fast response.

Sure, if youā€™ll teach me how to do that. Sorry, newbie! :roll_eyes:

I will try to write down detailed instructions, but it might be a day or so as I am traveling. In the meantime, if you look at the top banner in the SmartThings IDE, youā€™ll see ā€˜Live Loggingā€™. Click it, then youā€™ll see a list of running apps - select an app and youā€™ll see itā€™s log. The trick is that youā€™ll need to start live logging, then start creating the helper, then click on its name when it fails, and you should see a log, perchance with a red Error label.

Good luck!

2c94835c-dfb9-4379-a691-583bef4288f0 2:18:53 PM: error groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: java.util.ArrayList.toDouble() is applicable for argument types: () values: [] @line 154 (initialize)
2c94835c-dfb9-4379-a691-583bef4288f0 2:18:53 PM: info Smart Mode Ecobee Suite Smart Mode, version 1.4.05 Initializingā€¦

Looks like a problem with using the thermostatā€™s external temperature. Do you have your zip code/location configured on the thermostat? (you may have to configure it using the ecobee web app). Is weather showing on your thermostat display?

If that doesnā€™t work, you could perhaps try using the Weather Underground temperature for your location.

Iā€™ll look at it as soon as I can.

FYI - yes, location is set on my Ecobee and weather shows on the display. However, I did get the Smart Mode set up using Underground. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

@storageanarchy first I find your approach to support refreshing 'nuff said. :smiley:

Over the weekend I moved off of a paid DTH to yours. I found your instructions easy to follow, thanks for that. However, I do need some help in understanding a few things.
. When I press the small setpoint buttons I do not see any change in the thermostat setpoint, nor any change at the thermostat, why is that?
. My thermostat setpoint shows 67ā€¦ (see graphic below), not sure if that is the correction representation.
. Why is my thermostat setpoint (67ā€¦) different than my heat setpoint 68?
. In reading through previous messages I was able to better understand Heating at, and Heating to. The question I have is why when heat is running does it indicate Heating 67.5 when my Heat setpoint is 68.

Thanks for your assistance.
Tony

I noticed that myself yesterday. I think SmartThings has broken the up/down arrows (again). Until I get them to fix them, you can use the sliders down below to adjust the setpoints.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks @storageanarchy.

You will see ā€œHeating at 67.5ā€ when the stat is Idle - this is the heatingSetpoint - the heatDifferential: the actual temperature at which the stat will call for heat. You can adjust the differential on the Ecobee Thermostat only - i think it is under ā€œSettings / Equipment / Thresholdsā€. You will see ā€œHeating to 68ā€ when it is actually heating - this is the temperature that the stat will stop calling for heat. In this example the heatDifferential is 0.5 degrees. Note that there is both a heatDifferential and a coolDifferential, so you can have different demand points for the heating and cooling system.

Enjoy!

Ok last night I set the polling to 1 minute just after your recommendation yesterday and I have captured the events in SmartThings when the events were recorded. From my Thermostatā€™s official schedule:

Wake: 4:30 am
Away: 7:30 am
Home: 3:30 pm

But here is when the events shows up in SmartThings:

As you can see that 5:06 AM is when the currentProgram variable for the device changed to Awake, 7 minutes earlier than when I had it set to 5 minute polling. The only one that is reporting on the correct time is my ā€œhomeā€ program at 3:30.

Itā€™s very strange to see this behavior if you can check your SmartThings development environment and drill down on any of the Program State variables to see when SmartThings reports for you that would be great. I canā€™t find any reason for this to be happening either.

Thanks.