[DEPRECATED] Trigger Happy!

Basically, you can’t do this and conform with STs approach to scheduling. They do not support timings less than 60 seconds, with some exceptions in device types. They particularly do not want SmartApps executing more frequently than once a minute.

1 Like

Ah Hah, good to know. I’ll have to do some more research to see how others are obtaining finer control for this purpose. Thanks

I am wondering if the “Physical Switch” capability is working for anyone. I have tried defining a trigger rule to to only fire if a switch is physically turned “on” (not through an app) but for some reason it isn’t working. Does it only work for certain switches and not others?

Good question, and the right one to investigate. The only way to find out for sure is to look at the logs, the list of events for the switch itself. Turn it on and see what it logs. If you don’t see DEVICE/PHYSICAL, then “Physical Switch” won’t see it either.

That is the problem, a while back, months ago I remember seeing Device/Physical but the logs don’t show that anymore. Under Source in the Event List it only displays DEVICE.

I am still on the V1 hub so if anyone can test to see if there logs distinguish between physical and not physical?

Seems to me the my log stopped reporting physical around the time V2 hub came out.

This has just officially replaced a BUNCH of Button Controller SmartApps for me. This works far more intuitively, and gives me much more control of the end result, so thank you.

1 Like

The bug related to presence triggers has been fixed. Latest is in Github: Version 1.1.8.

1 Like

fyi… I have setup a battery level monitor under Trigger Happy. It is monitoring about 20 battery operated devices. I get this error in the log:

1:18:40 PM MST: error java.lang.NumberFormatException @ line 550

Thanks, I will look into it.

If I wanted to port all my lighting SmartApps from Smart Lighting, this is what Trigger Happy can totally do right?

I have a trigger set up so that my lights turn on when there’s motion. But if the light is already on, it constantly sends on commands to my lights even if they are already on. I can add a switch to the “Switch to disable trigger when ON” section so that it disables the trigger if the light is already on, but I need to have more than one switch for that since the motion is controlling more than one switch. Am I on the right track with this?

@Pete Would Big Switch work here? Tie your multiple physicals to the one virtual. If one of the physicals is on then the Big Switch virtual would be on. Use the virtual for “Switch to disable trigger when ON”.

I think if I went that route, the virtual switch would have to turn on only when all my physicals were on. Reason is because if light #1 is on and light #2 is off, light #2 would not turn on via motion because the trigger is disabled.

I’ve got a Trigger rule set up to run at 8:45, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. From here it flicks a momentary switch which runs a Notify smartapp.

However for the last 3 nights it doesn’t appear to have run correctly?

Scheduled Jobs
Handler Next Run Time Prev Run Time Status Schedule
timeHandler 2015-12-05 8:45:00 PM GMT WAITING Daily
Job History
Handler Scheduled Time Actual Time Delay (msec) Execution (msec)
timeHandler 2015-12-02 8:44:59 PM GMT 2015-12-02 8:44:59.928 PM GMT 4 840
timeHandler 2015-11-27 8:44:59 PM GMT 2015-11-27 8:44:59.985 PM GMT 2 579
timeHandler 2015-11-26 8:45:00 PM GMT 2015-11-26 8:45:00.012 PM GMT 3 671

Looking at the logs too, it actually never even triggered.

Anyone got any ideas?

EDIT: Never mind :smile:

When trying to build a trigger rule to control a space heater based temperature threshold being crossed from my temperature sensor I get the following error in my log:

11:33:37 PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property ‘value’ on null object @ line 738

Not sure what might be causing it so I thought I’d post …

Thanks for this. I will look into it. Definitely a bug!!

There is a major new release of Rule Machine today. See this post:

[UPDATED] Rule Machine with Triggers

This release integrates Triggers into Rule Machine, and supports Rule-Trigger interactions. Complete instructions are provided. Triggers created with Trigger Happy are not compatible, and would need to be redone for the integrated app.

Trigger Happy and any Triggers you have will still work. You should consider moving new Triggers to the integrated Rule Machine app.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but how does one uninstall Trigger Happy? I’ve removed all of my trigger rules, but there’s no button to uninstall the entire thing (on Android and Windows Phone at least there isn’t).

Use the IDE. Lots of posts about how to do that. I disabled uninstall so people wouldn’t do it by mistake.

Aaah right, I blanked on that as an option, thanks. :smiley:

I cant seem to get triggers to work. I want at least one that when i arrive presence sees its me or sees its my wife (we both have our cells and presence fabs) and disarms the door and unlocks it (i have schlage camelot lock and a multi sensor on the door). To take it a step further id like it to turn on a certain light if its past 6pm for 5 minutes upon arrival as well… Thoughts? Ive tried several ways