[OBSOLETE] [Deprecated] New TP-Link/Kasa Plug, Switch, and Bulb Integration

Fixed it. I know what happened (for anyone stumbling on this post): I originally just installed the Plug Device Handler and did not install the Switch Device Handler. If you go to logs, you see something like this ‘…Cannot get property ‘value’ on null object @line 432…’:
Once I added the Switch Device Handler, everything works. I might take a shot at catching the error code @Gutheinz do you allow code contributions?

Thanks Dave foe quick turn around. I installed the new DH and SmartApp. The energy readings are showing up now. As you said the totals etc. would d be wrong, so I am assuming they will eventually start matching with what Kasa app shows.

Hi Dave

I am seeing some mixed results here. I have 2 power supplies connected to the hs300. It seems for one of the power supplies I am getting the power readings correctly, but for the other one it seems it is repeating the same as first one. For a brief period yesterday I was getting the correct readings for both, but today again I am seeing wrong readings. Please let me know if you want to see any output/diagnostic data.

Thanks

PS: just checked the other 4 plugs where nothing is connected right now, but they all are reporting the same power as plug 1. In the settings for each plug so I need to set the hub ip and plug id manually?

let me do some testing with my HS300 today. Most testing was done on the Hubitat Environment integration. There may be some issues. I will get back with you.
Dave

1 Like

Steve, Thanks. But I will fix in next app update. It will be easy to capture and provide a more meaningful error message.

Dave

I just uploaded a fix to the code for your discovery (my rookie mistake). It should work properly. Instructions:

• replace code, save and publish
  • run set preferences on each device (just select preference page in app and save)

Dave

1 Like

Sorry I haven’t had much time for testing/troubleshooting. I’ve been having to work extra the last few days and just haven’t been home. I just tried the updated device handler and it’s now reporting the correct wattage for each outlet on the HS300. I’ll try to do some more testing the next few days to see if everything else is working. Thanks again by the way.

Brent

1 Like

Thanks, looks like working now. Thanks for the quick turnaround.

1 Like

Steve,
Thanks for the input. The app has been updated to capture the error in method addDevices routine addChildDevices. The new error message suggests that the specific device handler is not installed.

Dave

1 Like

Yes, I also had this issue, but I was able to correct it by adding capability “Actuator”.
(My issue was with HS105 and using the TP-Link Smart Plug device handler, but similar idea)

Thanks. I will update all device handlers with actuator.

1 Like

Add device handlers updated with Capability Actuator. Dave

1 Like

SmartThings Support now in SmartThings Baseline.
SmartThings has added their own TP-Link Kasa integration:

I will depreciate my current support thread and (eventually) create a new thread for the reduced product line. The GitHub site will still be available; however, it is now marked Depreciated.

Dave

Update: I tried installing in the classic app. No go. I assume this is new app only, so support will continue support for all the products. No future updates (other than related to sw problems) are anticipated.

Final Update. All of the devices install successfully using the new SmartThings Application. The only short-fall is energy monitor functions. For those who need energy monitor functions, I will continue supporting the HS-300 and HS-110 devices. Other support will be for error correction only, but I strongly recommend transition to the “official” integration through the new Application.

It has been my pleasure to be involved with the users of this integration and this SmartThings site in general.

Dave

3 Likes

Hello Dave,

Thanks for your help. I am new to home automation and saw all the work you put into it.

Do the HS200, HS220, HS210 work natively out of the box with smartthings now?

Thanks,
Justin

New official integration works.

There are two apps, classic (the original SmartThings phone app) and the new. The new is probably what you have (it is the default for new users).

You must install the switches in the NEW phone app. After that, they will be available for control in either app.

I tried that but it didn’t work for me – while the devices show up in the old app after installing in the new one, I can’t control or edit them. :cry:

1 Like

Concur. Definitely get mixed results here. Apparently, I was incorrect. (HS200 works, others do not.) Definitely a SmartThings problem - devices should be controlled from both!

1 Like

I’m using HS100 & HS110s and neither of them works. I guess I’ll try to be a little more patient :wink:

No patience. Keep to the my integration until SmartThings is fixed!!!

I just tried a Samsung Soundbar installation in the new app. Went to the classic app, no control.

General: Devices installed via the new app will not work in the classic.
Looking at the other way around right now. I know that worked Monday.

Update.

• Deleted my HS-107 (Laptop) (Had to go to the new app to do so.
  • Went to classic, installed.
  • Worked ok in new and classic.
  • No error in getting to preferences in either app.

Who wants to tell the SmartThing staff that their cross-platform integration is NOT working as expected.

I think the answer for now is either work classic or new app. You and yours will have to keep in-sync. I will keep TP-Linik working until I reach 71 in December, then revisit.

2 Likes

I have tons of devices on my Classic app… I’m too afraid to download the new app… since I’ve never been asked to install it… I don’t want to screw up all my device settings & automations…

Is there a way to add my new tplink kasa plug HS100… to ST Classic app?