[OBSOLETE] [Deprecated] New TP-Link/Kasa Plug, Switch, and Bulb Integration

Getting the same thing. Shame there is no home energy monitoring with the official kasa ST link. I wonder if this is because this is the new ST app not the classic?

No. It is because the TP-Link integration for the devices did not include the Energy Monitor functions. If you contact TP-Link, you may have some chance for them to include in the SmartThings integration.

Dave

I gave up with it, returned it back to Amazin and found some official smartthings plugs. They work really well and the energy readout is very quick. Ive got it hooked into Webcore now in a laundry piston. Happy days.

1 Like

Just got the KP115 and did the following to get it to work with smartthings

1. Set up KP115 through the KASA smart app in my newly created KASA account
  2. Copy-pasted Davgut’s version 4 of the smart app in IDE, added the extra line for KP115 as mentioned by Ernie and published it for me
  3. Copied and pasted Davgut’s deprecated device handler in IDE and published it for me
  4. Added TP Link service manager in the new smartthings smart app
  5. Once added, I double-clicked the TP Link manager and updated the credentials with the token
  6. Then, I added the device and KP115 was found and added to smartthings under ‘No room assigned’
  7. I went to the TP link manager again and updated the device preferences to set the refresh rate
  8. Came back to smartthings and clicked on the smart plug where I can now see power meter and energy consumption
  9. I immediately wrote a simple automation to fire at 6PM and if the power meter is showing more than 5 W. I turned on the printer which showed the power as 12W and the automation fired perfectly
  10. So all done and am happy that I have not lost out on the purchase

Huge thanks for Davgut and Ernie.

3 Likes

Yes thanks Dave and Ernie I had to use your deprecated smart app to get the KP115 running and I followed Subramanian summary and it works fine. This is much better then the supposed better smartthings built integration.

1 Like

It is, but since the smartthings-hosted groovy cloud will be discontinued sometime this year, you may need to start thinking about a Plan B. The official integration is already on the new architecture, so it doesn’t have that issue.

From Dave.

This is why I left SmartThings. It was a dead-end for the ide development and I am not inclined to learn yet another method (at the age of 73).

Anyone who wishes to use my code as a basis for a new integration is more than welcome.

Dave

1 Like

Wow I understand. The problem with the official integration is that it does not allow for all the devices that indicate works with smartthings on the boxes like the kp115. When I contacted kasa about this they said well just send them back as you are right it is not supported. You would think they would at least have included all their devices or changed the packaging

1 Like

They probably hard-coded the model instead of basing devices based on capabilities. The data to do the second one is in the device status data. I use this in Hubitat and no longer have to update every time a new model comes out.

Good luck.
Dave

1 Like

Worked like a charm, i am able to run my rules with notifications. Greatly appreciate the step by step write up and Smartapp owner Dave and Ernie. I learn a lot from the community

1 Like

Has anyone been able to get this working in the latest version of the SmartThings app?
I just bought two of the KP115 smart outlets and was disappointed I could not get the energy monitoring in SmartThings/WebCoRE. I’ve followed all of the directions and things seem to be good up until I add the SmartApp within SmartThings. I’m able to log into my Kasa account and pull in the list of devices, but once I try to select one, it just errors out and says:

I’ve tried removing and re-adding several times and have not had any luck

@sdschramm Small world - I just bought (2) HS110 this weekend and am stuck at the same step you are, though I don’t get an error. I select a device to add when I click done, it doesn’t bring them into the app. I am assuming we are SoL, given that the DH is deprecated, unfortunately.

Maybe @Gutheinz can shed some light?

I am planning on returning them since my entire application hinges on being able to read the power.

My only guess is recent platform changes to SmartThings. One of the reasons I deprecated the integration and went to Hubitat (where I have a similar (better) integration.

Dave

1 Like

I was able to get this switches to work with Home Assistant very easily and it has all the energy monitoring details.

The only reason I’m still sticking around with SmartThings is I have so many auotmations in WebCoRE. Trying to replicate them in Home Assistant is difficult and Node-RED is even more difficult.

I’ve considered Habitat many times, but I really don’t want to buy another hub and migrate everything to that just to keep WebCoRE.

At this point, I’m hanging on until Samsung pulls the plug on the IDE. Then I’ll be forced to jump one way or the other.

FYI, I just purchased a second HS 300 power strip and was able to get its outlets with power use to show in Smartthings. Let me know if you are still trying, I’m not a whiz at this but I can tell you what I did to make it work.

2 Likes

I ended up buying some used Samsung smart outlets off eBay and they worked perfectly with energy monitoring without any messing around. I’ve since retired the TP-Link outlets and will use them for future projects that only require on/off control and not energy monitoring.

If you did find a way to make your TP-Link show the energy monitoring in SmartThings, please share what you did as I’m sure others are curious to know and may still be waiting for a solution.

This post sums it up quite well.

The only thing I would add is you need Device Handler, or at least this is what worked for HS300

Big thanks for this quick breakdown and Ernie/Davgut’s assistance/work. KP115 now working in webcore the way it should’ve out the box.

Anyone know what I’m doing wrong? I set up the smart app and have been able to get an HS110 i have to connect no problem. But ever time I select the KP115 I get this error in the log.

334d1a68-3b69-4e30-baa1-6914d4fc003d
10:06:22 PM: warn Failed to install new plug. Driver null most likely not installed.

It shows up in the list of devices to add, but it just errors every time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you using the deprecated smartapp from this thread? Or using the official TP-Link Kasa intergration found in the app > Add Device > By brand ?