[Deprecated] Lutron Caseta Connect V1.5

I probably should have written it in JS in the first place, it would have taken me half the time it took me to write it in shell script :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Haha. I wish. I’m not familiar very with shell script not SSL so deciphering your work was an educational challenge. Nevertheless, I’m very grateful to you for your work and for sharing!

Hi @njschwartz, I have an idea to get device id from telnet interface. At server side, you can ask user to operate one of the device, and then get the device ID from “~OUTPUT” message.

Hey @snalium thanks for the suggestion. Actually, there is a way to have the ‘LIP data’ emailed to you in the Lutron app which is even simpler. The issue isn’t getting the data really, but rather the fact that sometimes it doesn’t line up with what is/was in the LEAP server.

Regardless of all that, I have successfully updated my node app to support the new SSL Leap server Lutron is now using. I will be posting a new topic today to let others install and try it out. It will work with both Pro and non Pro bridges and allows for control of switches, scenes, and Picos (pro hub only). Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @njschwartz,

I remember someone mentioned the integration report is not reliable.

But since you’ve figured out the new LEAP server, everything should become much easier. Thanks for your work and effort on this. You are the savior of Lutron owners here.

1 Like

Nate… Thank you for doing this work!

1 Like

Check out the official release of the Node version that also supports the new Lutron SSL server. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am running in to problems with getting smartthings up and running. I used gethub and install all apps. And I got the raspberry running the python lutron. But when I go to the smartthings phone app I can’t find it under my apps

well i made a rookie mistake i didnt double check and see if the app installed from get hub. that part works. i got all dependence installed and the Raspberry going but when it starts it comes up with
Attempting to connect to Lutron Hub
Successfully Logged in to Lutron Hub
Listening for Telnet DATA
Unhandled Error
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/twisted/internet/base.py”, line 420, in fireEvent
DeferredList(beforeResults).addCallback(self._continueFiring)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/twisted/internet/defer.py”, line 319, in addCallback
callbackKeywords=kw)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/twisted/internet/defer.py”, line 308, in addCallbacks
self._runCallbacks()
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/twisted/internet/defer.py”, line 651, in _runCallbacks
current.result = callback(current.result, *args, **kw)
— —
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/twisted/internet/base.py”, line 433, in _continueFiring
callable(*args, **kwargs)
File “LutronPi.py”, line 423, in main
ssh = smartBridgeSSH()
File “LutronPi.py”, line 302, in init
self.client.connect(SMARTBRIDGE_IP, port, uname, None, key)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/paramiko/client.py”, line 380, in connect
look_for_keys, gss_auth, gss_kex, gss_deleg_creds, gss_host)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/paramiko/client.py”, line 597, in _auth
raise saved_exception
paramiko.ssh_exception.AuthenticationException: Authentication failed.

~OUTPUT

~OUTPUT

~OUTPUT
did i miss a step becasue when i go into smart app to setup it finds the raspberry pi but wont find devices. i enabled the telnet on my pro hub but i get nothing. Did any one else have this problem?

1 Like

Hey @Buzzshot I apologize for being so slow to respond. I have been gone for work the last couple of weeks. Anyway, this python version isn’t working anymore due to changes that Lutron made recently to their protocols. Please check out LutronPro Caseta v1.0 which is working and much much easier to set up. Thanks!

1 Like

Just to let you know 8BitNinja, the regular Picos will work with Sonos. Ive been using some of my light dimmer Picos with a couple of my Sonos. I did just buy 4 of the pricey ones for 35$ a little cheaper than what I was seeing around. Still pricey but was sick of not being able to tell what the buttons were (Play, etc) Although I really only used the volume mainly. I saw someone using the regular remotes just printed some labels to put on the buttons.

Hey Nate. Ive just loaded up on Lutron Caseta devices over the last few months and now looking into a supervisory device like Smarthings, Wink, etc. Been reading about your work, impressive.
I currently have two hubs, one regular Smart Bridge and one Smart Bridge Pro(Needed it for the blinds I just had installed last week) Anyway, I’m getting close to 50 device limits, so thinking I will still use both. Maybe designate the regular one to devices I really just control with Picos or regular schedules. Can your programs work wit multiple Bridges?

Hey @jmw_ha. As of today it does not work with multiple hubs. It’s on my roadmap, but I haven’t made it happen yet. They being said, you could use the ST built in integration with the standard hub and then use the pro hub with my integration. If you put the picos on the pro hub you can use them to control anything in ST. Either was using both mine and the standard integration will get you two hubs in ST. :slight_smile:

Cool! Thanks for the reply! Ill be thinking about downloaded your code for some testing.

Just make sure you use the latest which is in the post below. This one is old.

Thanks for the heads up.
When I do testing, Ill probably start using just a windows box since I don’t have any rasberryPI hardware.

1 Like

First off, thanks for making this community app! I came from Vera and one thing I missed hugely was a high level of control through the telnet ‘integrator’ commands from a community supplied app for them.

My question is this, I really only want control of my PICO remotes commands to perform actions outside of Lutron’s app. If I install this can I only have it add PICO’s or am I going to end up with duplicates with the now native lutron integration?

You get to pick and choose what you add from all your switches, picos, and scenes. Simply select only your picos and you should be good to go. Let me know if you run into any issues.

Firstly thank you for all the work you’ve put into this over the years.

I just recently exceeded my 50 device limit and have been trying to figure this out.

I have a Raspberry Pi B, and have gotten as far as running the script and getting this error message:

python LutronPi.py

hangs for 3 - 4 min

Unable to connect via Telnet. Either you have a Standard bridge or you forgot to turn on Telnet in the Lutron app!
Unhandled Error
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/pi/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/twisted/internet/base.py”, line 428, in fireEvent
DeferredList(beforeResults).addCallback(self._continueFiring)
File “/home/pi/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/twisted/internet/defer.py”, line 321, in addCallback
callbackKeywords=kw)
File “/home/pi/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/twisted/internet/defer.py”, line 310, in addCallbacks
self._runCallbacks()
File “/home/pi/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/twisted/internet/defer.py”, line 653, in _runCallbacks
current.result = callback(current.result, *args, **kw)
— —
File “/home/pi/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/twisted/internet/base.py”, line 441, in _continueFiring
callable(*args, **kwargs)
File “LutronPi.py”, line 423, in main
ssh = smartBridgeSSH()
File “LutronPi.py”, line 302, in init
self.client.connect(SMARTBRIDGE_IP, port, uname, None, key)
File “/home/pi/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/paramiko/client.py”, line 424, in connect
passphrase,
File “/home/pi/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/paramiko/client.py”, line 714, in _auth
raise saved_exception
paramiko.ssh_exception.AuthenticationException: Authentication failed.

Having read through this and the beta thread - I went back and confirmed the IP addresses of both devices and that they were in the right spots in the script (even tried flipping them which gave a similar error albeit alot quicker). I powered down the Lutron Hub for 15 seconds. still nothing. At this point I would welcome any ideas?

Thanks!

I believe Nate has retired his old python app in favor of his newer node-based app — Lutron changes the authentication out from under the older app and it’s just not going to work now. Nate’s got a long thread elsewhere on his newer app… but additionally, I’ve forked Nate’s Code into a version that handles multiple lutron bridges, among other improvements. You can look into that here LutronPro Caseta v1.0 and you can scroll up that thread to look into Nate’s version as well.