[DEPRECATED] - Hive (Connect) V2.6 (British Gas Hive)

Hi there. Just to cover this possibility off, make sure you’re reading the installation guide carefully and make sure your putting the Hive(Connect) code under as a new ‘My SmartApps’ and the Hive Heating and Hive Hot Water code as a new ‘My Device Handlers’ within the SmartThings web IDE.

That’s the problem cheers for that, my mistake

I’d like to know as well, it used to work before the Hive ‘Skill’ came out - but the actual Skill doesnt work for me.

I’m going to look at making another simulated thermostat and link the two together so Alexa picks up the fake and the fake Updates Hive…not a clue if that’ll work yet

Kraeg

@Alyc100 Any plans to add readings from the British Gas smart meter (zigbee)? Many thanks

Not in the scope of this Smart App as it’s not part of the Hive Honeycomb platform.

I’ve been reading up a lot on Smart Meters, as I’d love to integrate my nPower one into Smart Things. From a bit of Googling, it seems that nPower supply the same type of meter as BG and some others - there’s only a handful of different devices out there.

So your Smart Meter has two elements - the meter itself with the display, and a smaller box linked with a cable that is the “Smart” element and does the communications. Mine is branded Trilliant and has three lights on, Power, HAN (Home Area Network) and WAN. This is the box that your supplier can communicate with via the cellular network, there’s a SIM card in it (I think the UK is using the O2 network) and it in turn gets readings from the meter via the cable.

This Trilliant box also has a Zigbee network in it which is what communicates with your little readout device. Great, sounds good so far.

Unfortunately there’s no way of this box communicating with another Zigbee network. It only talks to the display box, the keys to do this are kept secret and updated via the cellular connection so even if you could hack it, it won’t work for long.

Trying to find the site that gave all this info but it’s missing out of my history…

OVO Energy provide a smart gateway box that opens these readings up via a web based API that is hosted by OVO that I have created an integration to. I believe this is the only method at the moment. Tom Eldred from OVO is engaging with the thread below and sending out smart gateway boxes to OVO smart meter customers who request them via this forum.

1 Like

Yes, that looks pretty much identical to the British Gas kit. I suspected they wanted to keep smart meter data “secret” to avoid possible security/privacy issues but I still wanted to ask you. I am not particularly interested in replicating what I can already see on the display at home as well as on my British Gas app. But clearly Smartthings could be useful to trigger rules when something unwanted happens, from normal daily operations to emergencies.

Actually I have a question about the Hive Active Plugs - as I’ve just seen they’re cheaper than SmartThings ones!

If I press the button on the top of the plug, does it signal to ST immediately or does it have to poll every few minutes?
Essentially, I could use the kids switching the TV on at the wall (using the top button) as a trigger to take my house out of “night” mode (as I can guarantee it’s the first thing they do at the weekend)

I’m guessing the official ST plug does this by the way, can’t see why it wouldn’t as it’s communicating directly with the ST hub. But Hive, does that have to bounce off a server somewhere?

Hi. Thanks for providing this integration. I have everything connected correctly but have a really strange problem with the water control.

When I press the boost button in the water smartapp, the water doesn’t come on. If I go to the web site, I can see that the boost setting is active but this isn’t shown on the wall controller. If I deselect boost on the web site and select again, the boost becomes active.

So it looks as though the smartapp is communicating correctly with the Hive web site, but the web site to hive system has a problem. However, if this really is the case, then why does the control from the web site work at all?

I’m really confused! Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Steps:

1. From Smartapp, press Boost for 60 minutes - nothing happens
  2. From Smartapp, press Refresh - no update
  3. Look at the Hive web page - water boost is on
  4. Look at the Hive app - water boost is on
  5. Look at the controller - water boost is scheduled
  6. Go to the web site and select stop boost. Boost is now off
  7. On the web site, switch boost on. Boost is now on.
  8. Look at the controller - water boost is on
  9. Go to the smartapp and press refresh - boost is now on

Screenshots

Step 1 & 2 - Smartapp after pressing boost and refresh

Step 3 - Hive web page after pressing boost on smartapp

Step 4 - Hive iOS app after pressing boost on smartapp

Step 5 - Hive controller after pressing boost on smartapp

Step 6 - Hive web page, select boost off

Step 7 - Hive web page, select boost

Step 8 - Hive controller - shows water boost on after pressing boost on web page

Step 9 - Smartapp after refresh - boost now on after pressing boost on web page

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks
Graeme

I have had Alex’s Hive Heating and Hive Hot Water installed for sometime but have never really tried the Hot Water boost from the SmartThings app as it’s scheduled for my families needs and rarely needs boosting.

Having read your post I decided to give it a try and I seem to get the same issues as you described.

Hopefully @Alyc100 will be along soon to help but in the meantime I have had a quick look at the Hive Hot water DTH and have made a few changes to the code and seem to have it working. (More trial and error than groovy coding skill).

I’m happy to pass on my mods. DM me if you would like to try them and I’ll explain the changes. Then if they work for you I’ll pass them on to Alex.

Wow, how did this not get noticed for a year!

Try Hive Hot Water v2.0c which has just been published. It should fix this issue.

Thanks Alex for quick response
Real mystery how it hadn’t been spotted before now. I do remember it sort of worked when I first installed it but then again maybe not.

I have just installed your latest DTH and see the same two lines of code changed that I had found.
Strangely, though I had to change the valueTile for emergencyHeat to a standardTile to get it to run the routine _‘def emergencyHeat()’. This seemed odd to me but nothing was happening or showing in Live Logging until I did.
Thanks again

Alex, Kevin,

I have just tried v2.0c and it works perfectly now. I was beginning to think it was an issue with the Hive web application. I couldn’t understand how the web site looked to be responding ok to the action from Smartthings and displaying the right thing but then not implementing the action. I guess the Hive validation isn’t that great. If you have time, I would love an explanation of the problem and what you did to fix it.

For info, I’m attempting to stop heating water that doesn’t get used, so instead of heating water all day long in case it’s needed I want to look for activity that suggests that hot water is being used. So I schedule the water to go on for two hours each morning (Hive schedule) then boost it for an hour whenever the bathroom door closes (triggered by a door sensor). It might not work, but it’s a fun challenge.

Thanks again for your help.
Graeme

Hi @Alyc100
This is weird

I couldn’t understand why I had to change the valueTile to a standardTile to get it to work.
Then I founf that Hive Heating Boost valueTile didn’t work either and I had to change that to standardTile.
I knew it used to work so I started wondering what had changed.

I’m on Android and had just updated to the latest 2.3.0 android app. So I rolled back to 2.2.6 reset the DTH’s to valueTile and Bingo they both worked.

Back to android app 2.3.0 and nothing until I changed back to standardTile.

So it looks like the latest Android app 2.3.0 is not triggering ‘action’ from a valueTile.

Quick update
Android App 2.3.1 just released which fixes the valueTile problem.
It was obviously some sort of bug in Android App 2.3.0

Hi this is going to sound stupid but where is the my smart apps option . I have got a hive system to install and would love to try this app about before installing a hive hub. My smart things hub controls everything else so this would be ideal…But can’t find my smart apps ?
Thanks

HI

I have been using Hive connect for a while and haven’t had any issues adding new Hive equipment like the Hive mains switch or the Hive lights. I recently purchased a Hive contact sensor so i can see how good the recipes with in the Hive app are. Any it they have basic functions, so would prefer to move the recipes to Core for more functionality. Unfortunately even though the contact sensor is shown and selected in Hive Connect App, the sensor does not appear in my device list. I have all the device handlers installed and self published but it doesn’t appear. After reading the Hive sensor device handler read me, am i right in thinking it is set for direct connection to the ST hub and not for connection via the Hive Hub?

Has any one else using the Hive sensor connected via the Hive Hub and have it working in ST?

Thanks.

Hi.

I’m looking to create a recipe that would turn on a smart plug when Hive heating is on. Unfortunately, I can’t work out any way to do this using either ST or IFTTT. Neither seems to have the functionality to use the polling data that ‘Hive is on’ to then turn on another device. This is a shame as it would be useful when the central heating is on to turn on other electrical devices that aren’t part of the central heating e.g. blower over radiator, fan heater, etc.

Any ideas how I could do this?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi, I can see my Hive thermostat mode (that’s set as ‘heat’ when central heating is on) while creating rules on ST. At the same time IFTTT can be connected to Hive and create rules in the opposite direction i.e. to control Hive if something meaningful happens. Hope this helps, not sure why you were stuck.