[Deprecated] EchoSistant v4.5

Not sure you would need to ‘disable’ it…You won’t conflict unless you have the same invocation name. If you DO use the same one (i.e. Smart Things, or House), just change the one you DON’T want to use to xxxx and then Ask Alexa to the one you DO want to use.

I am betting, following the directions, you can get this installed in less than an hour.

I recommend starting here: http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Ask_Alexa

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I thought you were on the verge of adding a Hubitat. :blush:

I think even in the worst case scenario - you keep AA only on ST and I moved every device to Hubitat - I’d stiil be able to use AA. Through the portal @krlaframboise has created, I hope to see all my Hubitat devices in ST, so I could use AA to query & control them. Since Echoes are by definition cloud-based, the latency shouldn’t be a show stopper.

1 Like

I am actively looking at it as just got a vacation condo in Seattle and am looking at controlling things there (I will set up a PI with RDP to control it remotely). I have heard you can either monitor and/or control Hubitat items through SmartThings, so for my primary house that would be ‘interesting’.

When will people need to migrate over to askAlexa from echosistant?

Need? Never really…if you are happy with the operation and your level of control, you should continue using it. However, first, they are not mutually exclusive…You can have both on your system. Second, it really depends on your use case the apps feature set. Right now, Ask Alexa has more features than ES. However, if you don’t need those features it is a wash.

I could be selfish and say you need to install now, but realistically, it really depends on what YOU need the app to do.

I’m looking over my ES files in IDE, and forgot I had issues with this file:

Echo : Virtual Person Device Handler

No signature of method: script_app_metadata_d105f7e3_a111_4df6_a763_16b49aa44883.metadata() is applicable for argument types: (script_app_metadata_d105f7e3_a111_4df6_a763_16b49aa44883$_run_closure1) values: [script_app_metadata_d105f7e3_a111_4df6_a763_16b49aa44883$_run_closure1@1ed7d10f] Possible solutions: getMetadata(), getState(), setState(java.lang.Object), metaClass(groovy.lang.Closure)

[EDIT] Meh, accidentally deleted some files. How do I restore the access tokens in the app?

I’ve rebuilt ES, and I can get it to turn lights on and off. However, I’m really, really confused about something.

I was supposed to have at least one profile, which I labeled “Living Room”. I see that this comes up on the list of devices. Later on, there is a Profile Intent Skill, and you start talking about little blue cars. Should I be labeling this after the “Living Room” profile I created in the app, or should it be something else? And if so, is it labeled “Living Room” in the app, and “Livingroom” in the developer code? I’m really missing of point of this section of the install, which is preventing me form understanding what I should be calling it. Please help! :cry:

[EDIT] ES appears to address devices as they are named in ST, and doesn’t work with groups created in the Alexa app. Is this correct? Do I have to create new groups in the ES app?

I’m on the road right this minute. I’m going to start updating the wiki instructions in a couple of days when I get home.

Ok. No rush. Drive safely. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The look of the Lambda site has changed considerably from the screen shots in the wiki.

I am having an issue adding the Alexa Skills Kit trigger to the Lambda function. I feel I am in the correct place but it is asking for a “Skill ID”. Is the Skill ID needed? Where is it located. There is also an option to disable skill ID verification. Should that be selected instead?

Thanks

Hi and thanks for looking at the app.

The wiki is horribly out of date and I do not foresee being able to update it. Also, development on the app stored a few months ago. I’ve found that the native Alexa functions are able to perform most of the apps functions now. There are a few things it still can’t do.

But, I do recommend that you take a look at the Ask Alexa app, as it is still in development and has some fun features that you might find useful.

Thanks

1 Like

My Echosistant stopped being able to turn on the SHM alarm a few months ago (a great feature to prevent having to turn on a phone when you are falling asleep and realize the alarm is not armed).
What’s the process for troubleshooting this? I realize the app is not being updated, so is there an alternative for this function?

Yes, I can help you troubleshoot. Please let me know what version you are using.

Hi,

I don’t know how to add “MainSampleUtterance” because my AWS screen is different for your guide in http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=File:MainIntent10.jpg.

Please advise.

Regards,
Kin

Will EchoSistant allow an echo to announce when a door is opened?
If so is this configured through the music and sounds SmartApp?

No, that ability is not currently available in smartthings. But , stay tuned, a little bird has told me something pretty amazing is coming.

1 Like

Hi, please consider updating the wiki, i tried my best but the echo keeps saying echosistant cant take any actions so i obviously did something wrong, just difficult to tell which part due to the updated developer interface.

Also you said that the native alexa can now do most of the echosistant functions, i think this is only true for the US, those of us languishing in the rest of the world still have a severely restricted skill set and hence rely 3rd party devs

Hello Paul,
I’m sending you a pm.

News Flash!

I’m releasing an update tomorrow.

EchoSistant v4.5

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

I know it has been a very long time since you’ve heard from ES… but it’s back.

Unfortunately, ESv5 was side-railed and it was decided to stop work on it. The Native Alexa
capabilities began to advance quickly and we decided to change direction and focus on
what Alexa could not do, instead of duplicating what could already be done. The whole
point of EchoSistant was to make life easier.

There are quite a few changes in the app. You will notice a lot of things are no longer
available.

There has not been a focus on how the app “Looks” when you’re in it. Our goal is keep it
simple, you should not have to go in the app after you’ve configured it.

Installation of the Lambda and AWS skills are much simpler, there is no longer a need to
update the skills when you make changes in the app.

See the 1st post in this thread for update instructions and links.

Thank you