[DEPRECATED] Blink Camera Device Handler with Motion Sensor, Live Video Streaming, Integration with SmartThings/SHM, Temperature, Signals and Push Notifications

The camera needs to be armed to get motion detection events.

1 Like

That’s my concern, it is. Camera/System are armed, motions happens and video triggers but I can’t get ST to fire any other actions - like turn on some lights?

@RBoy does blink integrate with Smarttiles for video view? I added the cameras however I just get a camera icon to take a picture. Read a couple of threads that were back early last year so wondering if any new development.

No that’s upto SmartTiles, they would need to support dynamic video links,
theoretically it’s possible and I think we did a PoC also but SmartTiles
prefers only to use documented mechanisms and ST doens’t seem to have one
for now.

Just and update to some of my previous posts. I contacted Blink over the weekend about the lack of support for special characters in the SSID password. They replied back this morning saying that that limitation was removed in recent firmware updates…

“Thanks for your interest! Certain older versions of firmware had issues connecting to networks with special characters. All of these issues have been resolved in recent firmware updates so as long as you run the latest firmware you will be all set to have special characters!”

So, that’s one big hurtle removed!

3 Likes

Just in case anyone else encounters the same issue, there’s a bug that Blink acknowledged and they are working on that you can’t connect to a hidden wifi and the workaround is to un-hide and connect and then hide again.

It’s possible your apps are timing out because your ST account instance is running slow. That’ fairly common but usually fixes itself in a few hours. First confirm that your app is getting notifications from the blink server, if not, open the smartapp and click done to reinitialize it. If it’s timing out even after that you may need to contact ST support to see why your account timing out while executing actions.

In CoRE, when I go to create a new piston to simply arm the whole system (I have 5 cameras and one module), the Blink cameras are listed as switches, cameras, motion sensors, and relays. Which should I chose for arming the system, versus turning motion detection on for a particular camera? Should I just leave the whole system armed and use ST/CoRE to turn the motion detection on/off for particular states? I do see the “switch interface arms/disarms instead of camera” in the Blink CM app, but I’d like to also be able to retain control of both. Can/should the sync module be listed as a device itself?

I’m a little confused on what to use to setup to have my 5 x cameras start up and stop.

Do I setup blink schedule or rboy st app, SHM mode, or core?

What is best to setup for the cameras to enable themselves as per below.

1. From 8am to 330pm Monday thru friday. Motion and camera
  2. At night from 10pm to 5am Monday to Thursday. Motion and camera
  3. At night 11pm Friday, Saturday and sunday after there is no motion detected for 45 minutes.

Also if for some reason I forget to turn the cameras on can there be a setting to turn on if there is motion detected after being idle for more than 2 hours. if the system hasn’t had motion for 2 hours. Maybe I go out of town and want it to turn itself on and stay on until I come home.

SM does not show up as a device it’ll only confuse matters more. It’s just a single switch common to all the cameras right now. Best way to control them is through the switch interface for each camera which arms and disarms the motion sensor. See the first post FAQ also

You can use the Blink App or SmartThings or CoRE doesn’t matter. They all sync up at the backend.

Depends upon your preference ST has more flexibility, Blink has a nice UI.

I was reading in the SmartTiles thread that ST is doing away with OAuth (at least that is what I think they were saying). How is that going to effect this Blink integration?

Got 4 offline notifications today from ST. however in the app it was online.
What is the trigger for that notification?

When it queries Blink it looks at the SM status looks for an error marked
against the SM status.

Kinda lengthy post but hopefully it will help someone who, like me, wants to take full advantage of their Blink cameras including using them as standard motion sensor. Until Blink allows this without having to a video first, the following solution works great for me.

Using Blinks as motion sensor had proven to be a little challenging. Mainly because when using them as motion sensors, I wanted the video length as short as possible so ST could update as quick as possible. Within the Blink App, the lowest is 5 secs with a max 60 second re trigger time. So this means that every motion event would record a 5 second video, then send it to the server, then send a notification that motion had been detected.

Another thing to address was only having the cameras enabled when lights (or whatever you are using motion for) were on and switching that camera to a “motion sensor” setting. When lights went off, then the video length and re-trigger time would revert back to whats appropriate for “security” purposes. In my case 30 second video and 10 second re-trigger time is ideal for security and 1 second video and 60 second re-trigger time was good for motion sensing.

Below are two CoRE pistons that make up my “Blink Motion Monitoring” solution. The only downside is not being able to set the video length in CoRE to anything past 10 seconds for my “security”…However, this is overcome within the RBoys Blink Configuration App.

OK, this first Piston is a Basic Piston in Expert Mode. It sets the video lengths and re-trigger times for each camera according to whether or not the lights are on or off. Note the delays in the Piston. I have found that these were necessary to ensure that the Pistons executed correctly. Also notice the Cancel on Piston State policy. Meaning if the lights go on or off during the period where the Blink cameras are switching over then it would cancel the operation and execute whichever state the light is on.

Using a Basis Piston and an “Or” separator, I am able to use “When True” “When False” as latching pistons eliminating the need for multiple pistons. Also, this piston only runs when my security is “Disarmed”. Finally notice the order in which things are turned on/off. I’ve been through many instances of this but this one works best for me. YMMV

Next is an example for a lighting scenario. This is is also a Basic Piston in Expert Mode. Even with the delays set in place in the piston above, it can still misfire. So in this piston, I added a Follow Up Piston to the “is on” condition of the light that will execute 15 seconds after the light condition changes. So basically the above Piston (Blink Motion Monitor) is monitoring the state of the various lights and changing the video length, re-trigger time and enable/disable options. Then, as a followup measure, the below piston also follows up with monitoring piston after 15 seconds, just in case a command misfired. This fixed all of my misfires! YMMV

The piston also has two (can be however many you like) different actions (outcomes) based on the time of day. And if my security system is Armed, it can still use the motion but will not affect the security settings because remember, the piston above only operates in “Disarmed” mode.

Again, I know that this was a long post but I wish I could have found something like this when I was trying to set up mines. If anyone has a better solution, let me know!

Good Luck!

1 Like

OK, so perhaps that’s my issue (apologies if this was covered previously in the thread), the motion alert is captured from ST until after the video is captured then sent to Blink? I’ve dug through my logs and it appears the lights are coming on (and turning off per my rules) associated with the motion alert. I didn’t think they were since the video never showed the lights on…

RBoy, has Blink ever talked about changing how this works so they publish the motion alert first, not last?

And thanks rontalley!

From my testing, when video is set to say 10 seconds, it takes 10+ seconds for ST to show that motion is detected. I think this is because it reads from the Blink App (server?) that a motion event “has been” recorded and not that a motion event “is being” recorded. I think…

However, having video set to 1 second. It seems like it takes just a couple of seconds for the motion to register in ST.

I would love to have a motion re-trigger time of 2 minutes with no video recorded. Would also love to be able to turn that blue light off or just have it blink like super fast once when in motion detection mode. My family is paranoid that I am recording everything that goes on in the house!

Send in a request to Blink to support 0 second recording in the firmware.
This will allow for notifications without video recording. See the first
post for details on how it works.

I got this installed this evening and ST did in fact pull all of the Blink cameras like it should have. However, accessing the cameras via ST or even trying to change their status (on or off) is very unresponsive. Most of the time the commands do not actually work, and when they do, it takes a very long time (45+ seconds) to respond to the commands.

This delay and unresponsiveness is not present when I control them from the Blink app or when I control my Arlo cameras from the ST app. Any thoughts on why the Blink cameras are don’t respond in ST?

Thanks, I’ve sent in the request.