[DEPRECATED] Blink Camera Device Handler with Motion Sensor, Live Video Streaming, Integration with SmartThings/SHM, Temperature, Signals and Push Notifications

It’s an issue with your ST account, if you’re using Contact Address book, I would suggest as ST to disable it. See this:

AND

1 Like

No!!! I want the address book. My wife hates getting all the alerts I want.

Send a note to ST support and ask them to fix the contact address book issues :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @beckwith. I will only have one location.

Thanks @rboy. It couldn’t be any easier! Now I just need Blink to release an outdoor version.

1 Like

When I click on the image on the main page of the camera on iPhone it opens up an nice gallery view with the recent pictures. If I do the same on an Android phone, it just saves the picture. I know I can find the pictures in the recently tab, but the gallery on iPhone is nicer. Is this a limitation of the android app?

Correct, ST’s implementation is different for the two phones

1 Like

Hmmm, @RBoy, seems like they need to hire them a consultant?..Someone who knows ST and can write DT and Apps?..Hmmm, I wonder who could fill this gap for Blink?

Just got me a 5 pack so guess I’ll be heading over to your site for a sub!

1 Like

Confused about one thing. I understand that I can use each camera’s motion detection (md) but does that mean it records video as well?

I would like to use the md, without video, to turn on/off things. Then when in SHM Away mode, switch them to their intended purpose.

Pretty sure this is a CoRE thing but befor I chased the rabbit, wanted to know if it was possible.

Also, how much will this drain the battery if one had a busy house?

Oh, also, I have 3 Boxer Dogs that are complete busy bodies. Don’t want them tripping the md constantly outside of the one by the garbage can!

Live Feed no longer works for any of my cameras. Is this a ST issue?

Probably, it’s working fine here. Also make sure the signal strength to the camera (sync and wifi both) is “strong” otherwise it won’t work.

Just tested the live view on my crappy office wifi and it works great.

1 Like

Only one out of five cameras has a week wifi signal but the rest are at full bars.

Took my phone off of Wifi and now it is working now. Hmmm…wonder if my Wifi network has finally bottlenecked. Only have 34 devices connected!..

Does the Wifi 2.4Ghz signal have anything to do with Z-Wave Plus? I ask because all of my Z-Wave devices work but I just purchased a Zooz PowerStrip and the thing has some serious connections problems…

This might be related.

Hi @RBoy, can you explain the difference between the two? What’s more important - module or wifi signal?

When I move the Sync Module around to try and find the best place, I’m either sacrificing sync module or wifi signal strength. It seems like when I have good wifi signals my video live feed always works, and it doesn’t seem to matter what I have for the sync module.

I know I’ll need another sync module soon because I know I’m reaching certain distances and number of cameras, but I’m still curious on what the two signals really do or how they work together.

Updated the firmware on my router, Asus RT-N66R and reset the Blink sync module along with turning off and on the ST Hub.

I can not connect to the cameras in ST when I am connected to my iPhone 6 Plus is connected to my home 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz network. I get a failed to connect or camera is not connected or some other error that I can not remember. Check my traffic on my router but I really don’t know what I am looking at.

ST has no issues taking Pics with the cameras.

The Blink App has no connection issues.

Thoughts?

It’s likely your phone, it may not have the codecs needs by Blink, the only other explanation I can think of. Try using an iPhone with iOS 9 or 10. The Blink native app is more resilient and has it’s down codecs AFAIK so it behaves differently from the ST native app

:)) I knew this question would come sooner or later. I think they’re both important but WiFi AFAIK is more important, the sync module is used to pass commands and communicate with the camera on the private RF channel. Once the camera is awake it connects to the WiFi and then proceeds with the heavy stuff. So eventually your streaming would come off the WiFi but like I said if the sync channel is weak it may not be able to wake up/comm with the camera.

2 Likes

I know this isn’t supported but I have a Blink camera installed outside by putting it inside an outdoor light fixture. This is a fairly cheap fixture from Lowes, I didn’t want to experiment with something expensive obviously. This fixture was picked because it has a large enclosure, enough room below the bulb and the bottom to fit the camera; and the bottom is open, the camera does not work through glass. I’ve had this running for about 10 days and its worked flawlessly with Rboys software (other than a glitch tonight that might be network related, see my other post). It’s been rained on and its been down to 40F. The fixture keeps it completely dry, but we’ll see how it handles the winter! Note that the light coming on does not interfere with the camera at all, and enhances the picture.

4 Likes

How cold does it get in your area? Does the Blink cameras have issues with moister? How does the light effect the image? Does the light come on when it senses motion?

I’ve had two outside for a year now. In Minnesota. We had our rainiest summer since I can’t remember when, and they worked fine.

I guess we got to 0 or worse for cold last winter if memory serves, and near 100 this summer at my house.

Just keeping them out of the direct elements and they seem to be ok. I install them in corners of the house under the eves and that seems to work out.

2 Likes

I just got the software installed. When I attempt to run the smartapp, I put in my login/password. My camera’s show up. once I click Done I get two errors.

1. Error Creating Blink Camera device
  2. An unexpected error occurred.

I tried to delete the smartapp and start over, but get the same results. I’m running version 5.6.3 of the camera manager.