[DEPRECATED] Blink Camera Device Handler with Motion Sensor, Live Video Streaming, Integration with SmartThings/SHM, Temperature, Signals and Push Notifications

Arm works through Alexa but disarm doesn’t for me.

Where do you find more about the commands possible? I don’t see it announced anywhere.

I don’t think it’s official yet…

“Send Push Notification” is already “off”, as it was from default. I didn’t touch that.

Any more to set in the SmartApp?
Or do I need to enable/disable something in the Blink App? (using Android)

About the options in the SmartApp, there are probably not too many. And they seems as very good integrations.
It’s me that needs to understand what the terms mean.
E.g. the “Arm/Disarm cameras for specific SHM/Modes” it confuses me that the title and some of the text is about “motion monitoring”, but the option below says “Arm these camera”. I know it me who is meesed up in terminology, but then I think what is the difference between “arming motion monitoring” and “arm the camera”? Or is it meant as the same thing.
In my case I just wanna be to “enabled motion sensor” and “arm the camera” (meaning recording) as 2 different and separate functions.
I that is possible also what it does, that is just not clear to me (yet) :slight_smile:

Also the “Switch Interface Arms/disarm System instead of camera”. I keep reading it again and again, and still I’m not sure what the difference is, or what is the consequence of enabling it.
Is it a matter of if I want to arm/disarm all cameras across, or if I want to be able to manage each camera by it’s own…

I’m a bit confused - I thought there was no way to allow the motion detector on the Blink cameras to operate all the time without arming them, which would kick off the video recording. Am I mistaken?

Great feedback thanks. Yes we have struggled with the verbiage and would love inputs on making it easier to understand.

First on your notifications it depends upon where they are coming from. If they are coming from the blink native app then yes you’ll have to configure that in your phone to block them.

For the monitoring yes motion detection can only be achieved when the cameras are armed so yes they are the same. But do clarify for me which options for your confused in this regards?
The first section talks about notifications when motion is detected
The second section talks about when to arm the cameras based on ST modes and SHM states

The last one is very tricky. In Blink native app you control the whole sync module using a single button to arm the system. In ST you control individual cameras. Enabling this option will revert to the blink style. When you enable the camera now it will arm the sync module instead of a single camera.

I may have misunderstood the original post, but I thought it was being implied that you could use Blink motion detection without the camera being armed or perhaps more accurately, you could use the Blink motion detection without having videos being recorded. I didn’t think this was possible but it would be great if it were possible.

That’s a firmware limitation of blink. We’ve put Ina request to blinks engineers but the users who request it and send their feedback to blink the faster it’ll happen.

Edit: also see the first post FAQ on how to minimize that

I noticed all five of my sync modules are down right now. This is on Blink’s web page:

http://support.blinkforhome.com/
“Starting at 5:15pm EST on 9/21, we started experiencing server issues. Our server team is hard at work to resolve this issue. Some users affected by this issue will see a Sync Module offline message in the Blink app. The Sync Module should automatically recover once the issue is resolved. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.”

This is the first I’ve seen Blink have an issue like this.

An update, you may have to recycle your sync module:

“Starting at 5:15pm EST on 9/21, we started experiencing server issues. Our server team has isolated the cause of the issue and rectified it. Unfortunately, some Sync Modules didn’t auto-recover as planned. If you are receiving a Sync Module Offline error message, please power cycle your Sync Module by unplugging it for 10 seconds and plugging it back in. We are very sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.”

Wow you should be Blinks poster boy! How many cameras do you have?

2 Likes

22 at three locations. The five pack with a sync module is the best value.

4 Likes

This is the very reason I returned mine

Anyone notice how off the temperature is?(not in ST, but in the device itself).

Seems to be overestimating by a good 5-8 degrees.

Not too bad for mine when location is considered, since mine are all mounted higher up, and considering warm air rises, it’s typically hotter higher up. Comparing to my Ecobee sensors which I believe is generally accurate, there’s about 1-2 degrees difference. The cameras mounted on outside walls seems to be registering warmer but that’s pretty normal though. They’re definitely more accurate than other zwave/zigbee motion sensors… at least mine are…

1 Like

Also note that the temperature isn’t updated often, it depends upon when the camera wakes up. You can get a temp update by forcing it using the force refresh button.

Wow, even more useless :slight_smile: I didn’t buy it for that but was excited to see it had that capability since I did want a temperature sensor in the room I placed the camera in. Oh well…

That could be why mine is higher too since mine is mounted near ceiling and against an outside wall. Never thought much about that until now.

You can always setup a scheduled task in CoRE to force refresh the sensors every x minutes. There was someone else also who recently asked and did the same thing.

2 Likes

I would assume there is an impact on battery life. I wonder if Blink has considered waking on temperature change. Regardless, almost any place you would consider placing a camera is generally bad to get an accurate temperature.

Right now the only Blink temperature I’m interested in is my mailbox which I saw at 110 F once.

2 Likes

Yep that’s correct. And by looking at the objects on the camera I can see that theoretically they are setup to wake up and notify on temp thresholds but they haven’t enabled it yet.