[DEPRECATED] Blink Camera Device Handler with Motion Sensor, Live Video Streaming, Integration with SmartThings/SHM, Temperature, Signals and Push Notifications

The cameras are facing out of the window unfortunately. So can’t detect motion :frowning:
So hoped there was a way if controlling the recording based on an event and not be dependant on motion.

That’s not gonna work well for blink cameras, and the ST integration can’t really help with that.

The PIR sensor on the camera won’t work through a window, and Blink will only record when it detects motion.

1 Like

Hey guys. I don’t know where else to ask this question…but there are so many smart people in here maybe someone can answer.

Is there any way these cameras can be integrated into the app TinyCam

Doubt it. Tiny cam works with IP cameras. Blink cameras are not assigned an IP address on your LAN.

Can I share a snapshot in some way? So that I can display it on a wall mounted tablet?
I made a core piston that takes a snap when the doorbell rings. But can I access that snap in some way?

Has anybody used the EBL lithium batteries on amazon? Wondering if they would do just as good as the Energizer Ultimate Lithium. They are only a little bit cheaper, but since we can’t use rechargeable over time every little bit helps.

Oddly interesting the Energizers are cheaper and have 10% more capacity (3300mah)

2 Likes

Apologies in advance if this question has been answered, but I can’t seem to find a quick answer. Is there a way to send a captured image or even a link to a captured image through an SMS? For example, if my garage door has been opened for an hour, I would like to receive a text message with a photo to verify that it is indeed open. Or perhaps, a photo of an intruder if motion was detected when I wasn’t home. I can accomplish the notification part through WebCore, but it would be nice to get a photo pushed to my phone via SMS.

SmartThings doesn’t support email notifications as yet. You can send a note to ST support to request them to add this feature and then it would be possible to send the pictures via email. SMS only supports text.

Thanks, @RBoy! I’ll send that feature request. Are captured pictures accessible via http so that the http link can be sent via SMS? Actually, as I go through the process in my head, I guess there are inherent security issues with having a captured image be accessible via an open link. So, the next logical question is, are the captured images accessible through a token or a SmartThings login?

We had done PoC’s of these variations before but ST isnt’ designed to “hold” data more than a 10’s of KB so it would probably make the setup unstable and therefore susceptible to corruption. Best bet is if ST provides a way to send eMails.

If you want to see the picture, you can open your ST app, open your Blink camera, click on the image carousel and scroll through the pictures taken. From there you can save the picture to your camera roll also.

Again, thanks for the quick reply @RBoy! Indeed that is what I do, but wanted to see if there was a way to decrease friction and button pushes. Thanks again!

1 Like

That’s what I meant to… can’t we get smartthings to automatically save the picture and from there we could share it with example Tasker or folder sync

Works for iOS for sure. Need to double check the Android. I know it used to do so earlier. If not this should be an easy one for ST devs to fix.

IMG_0678

I can press the thumtack in your app and it downloads to my phone. From there, I can share it with what ever app I have.

1 Like

But can it be done automatically? With no need to actually press it? I want smartthings to do it direct when I command it to take a snapshot. Save it and share it automatically so I can show it on for example actiontiles or something like that.

1 Like

I am using the Indoor Blink camera outdoors and it is under a shade, so it is protected from rain/snow.
Any tips on how to decrease false motion alerts because of changes in temperature in camera field of view?

I have a gas lantern, I used electric tape to mask the area.

Me too. It works reasonably well but YMMV.

Hi,

When your camera is enabled for motion detection. Is it possible to integrate core pistons with these? Such that when motion is detected on specific cameras to then do some task defined in the core piston? So that a independent set of actions can be executed dependant on the specific camera that triggered motion.
I.e. Interrogate CORE variables, turn certain lights on a particular colour, let certain lights blink, turn certain lights off etc etc

I understand you can do some actions when motion is detected under the smartapp. But assume it’s limited compared with CORE.