[DEPRECATED] Blink Camera Device Handler with Motion Sensor, Live Video Streaming, Integration with SmartThings/SHM, Temperature, Signals and Push Notifications

Unlikely in the short term, they’re highly focussed on scaling the product sales and not sure how many folks may be interested in Solar Power panels but never hurts to ask. If they see the demand…

Also I take back my previous comment, NiMH is NOT a good idea, the best combination is a Lithium battery (that comes with the Blink camera) + Solar panel. That’s because the USB port does not charge the battery, it only powers the camera. So during the day the solar panels powers the camera while at night the Lithium battery powers the camera and essentially you’ll get 5 years of life of the Lithium batteries + solar panel.

From Blink’s FAQ:

The Camera USB port can be used with a Micro USB power adapter (not included with your camera) to power your cameras rather than using batteries if you would prefer. The camera includes two AA lithium batteries for installation and use. Please note that connecting a USB power adapter to the camera will not recharge the batteries installed in the camera. The batteries shipped with Blink are not rechargeable and the camera will not recharge rechargeable batteries if they are installed.

1 Like

Or the solar panel with the built in batter pack, they are less $20 on amazon, and have 10000mah batteries, should last through the night :wink:

2 Likes

I just received my blink camera in the mail. Quickly set it up with the mobile app and everything is working. Now I’m ready to integrate it to SmartThings and I just realized you have to pay for the device handler and app. :frowning: Is there any option for free?

I can confirm that. As my entry camera has to Lithium batteries and has a USB power attached. I have since unplugged the camera 2 time to see if the batteries drained at all. The answer is not at all. So if we keep 2xAA Lithium batteries for night time + Solar panal conected for day = Almost Unlimited power.

1 Like

Unfortunatly @RBoy is the only one left standing with this integration. It works and I would recommand it.

1 Like

To get the best bang for buck, look at some of RBoy’s other DTH and Apps. I currently use a slew of them so the buy-in for the Blink integration computed to a very small amount considering his other apps and DTHs are pretty awesome and practical as well!

3 Likes

You are also forgetting that @RBoy and his team constantly provide support which is included in this low cost fee. I can vouch for that.

3 Likes

You can integrate Blink with ST using IFTTT, but it’s not as fully featured as @RBoy’s integration.

3 Likes

Money well spent. Just reading the responses on this thread are worth it.

2 Likes

I am trying to get the “picture captured” working with actiontiles. But it doesn’t show me the picture. Just a tile with a camera in it

So I think I’m getting confused as to how to arm/disarm the system and enabling/disabling cameras through ST. There seems to be several ways to achieve this:

1. Through the Blink Manager SA using SHM modes
  2. Through the Blink Manager SA using ST modes
  3. Through ST routines

I’m not sure which is the best method for going about this and the pros/cons of each. I’m assuming that when you turn the device ‘switch’ on for that camera it is enabled and seemingly that will automatically arm the sync module for that camera?

If I have enabled 6 of 8 cameras on a sync module and the system arms, will the stock Blink app still alert for those other 2 cameras separately from ST, since the sync module they are on is armed? If I then disable all cameras when SHM/mode/routine changes to home, will the sync module still be armed and the Blink app still alert separately?

Finally, how do I use the ‘alarm’ (with picture) function? Is this by setting each camera up under the ‘Alert with lights’ function?

1 Like

I use the mode to arm my individual cameras via the Blink Camera Manager. Good might routine>Night mode arms exteterior zone, good morning routine>Hone mode disarms exterior zone, goodby routine>away mode arms all cameras and I’m back routine>home mode disarms all cameras. I think using SHM would be basically the same thing if you use the Blink Camera Manager for control of the cameras at mode switch or SHM change. With the exception if you are using something like Webcore or smart alarm instead of SHM. Another control option is a CoRE/WebCoRE piston.

Edit: Using routine would work the same way as using the Blink Camera Manager’s SHM/Mode control. The modes based camera configuration (advanced) allows for alot of manipulation of cameras per mode.

If you leave the sync module armed all the time, you can arm/disarm each individual camera by the switch to turn on/off the Motion detection. I use this method because I have different cameras on/armed at different times. To arm and disarm the entire system using the sync module, you can slide the Switch interface arms/disarms system instead of slider on the Blink camera manager. Using this method, the cameras that have motion detection enabled when the module is armed will work. This method works if you have the same cameras on and off on the same schedule for the module. If the module is disarmed, no motion events will be activated on the ST side or the Blink native app. If the module is armed and camera motion is not enable, no St alert and no Blink alert for that camera. If the module is armed and the camera’s motion is enabled, ST alert and Blink App alert.

I cannot comment fully on the last question, as I let SHM control alarm actions as far a lights and SMS/Push notifications when an alarm is triggered. I use the Blink App to see the video if a camera’s motion was triggered. I would assume the Blink Camera Manger app would handle the take picture if motion is detected (assuming that this is what you meant by ‘alarm’ (with picture)).

2 Likes

If you have not jumped into webCoRE then maybe now would be a good time to give it a go. It is very flexible and you will have full control over your cameras using RBoy’s DTH.

There is a small learning curve but it will be well worth it not only for Blink but for most of the cool rules that are just not intuitive in ST.

3 Likes

Update on the Solar Panel Powerd Blink cameras.
I can now confirm that a Solar panel which outputs 5V @ 1 to 2 AMP can power a Blink camera Safely and reliably in partial to full sun light. That was fun.
My Solar panel is rated for 2 simultainius USB powered devices and thus was overkill, as a point can power 2xBlink cameras at the same time. This is a great idea for those that have enough open sky and may have an internet connected caben or a driveway or a porch where you can mount this Solar panels.

2 Likes

Hi @Benji,

@rontalley is correct. CoRe or Web CoRe is the way to go as it is most reliable way to set rules and command devices.
Through the Blink Manager SA using SHM modes (This has FAILED MANY Times in the past.)
Through the Blink Manager SA using ST modes (When ST has a hiccup, modes FAIL!)
Through ST routines (Routines are a good way to command your cameras as switches. However, sometimes a camera switch may not turn ON and you may need to fire the ON command one more time.)

Therefore I only use CoRe to control the ON/OFF of my Blink cameras.
A good example is as follows:
Piston
IF All presence sensors are AWAY
AND
Mode is AWAY or VACATION
THEN
Turn ON Interior cameras

ELSE IF ANY presence sensor is Present
THEN
Turn OFF Interior cameras

5 Likes

Thanks for the responses, I think I’m going to use routines to set the switches on/off, the reason being is that I prefer to use as many stock functions as possible. So long as I’m not going to get alerts from the Blink app for cameras that are disabled in ST regardless when the sync module is enabled (which sounds like is the case), I’ll just permanently enable them and control the cameras from ST

With that being said, I definitely do need to get into WebCoRE, I have CoRE installed but pretty much don’t use it, I created a couple of pistons that I then later realised I could actually achieve with Smart Lighting/Routines so stopped using CoRE. With that said as well there are some far more complex rules I need to create (and no time, amIright?!) that I know are WELL beyond the capabilities of the stock functions.

I’ve seen a couple of WebCoRE videos now and it looks a lot more user friendly so I definitely want to dive in.

@RBoy , just curious how to use the ‘Alarm (with pictures)’ function with something like SHM, do I set the cameras up with the ‘Alert with Lights’ function in SHM?

Easy. When the alarm interface is turned on it takes a picture and turns on the motion monitor. It’s just a way of saying that is you turn on the alarm there is likely an intruder so first take a picture and then turn on motion detection

1 Like

Sounds good, just not sure how I go about activating this through ST,

Hi All,

An interesting post on Blink Community about battery testing and indorcment by Blink.

Anyone had problems connecting a Blink Sync module to a BT Smart Hub?

I have tried the following;
Confirmed WIFi password is correct
Changed the SSID to remove special characters
Reset the module and attempted to connect several times
Factory reset my router
Setup two port forwarding rules
Created a new Blink account with different email
Deleted and reinstalled the app
Logged in from another iPhone
Disabled firewall and Smart setup in BT router

Out of ideas and ready to return the entire 3 camera pack in favour of canary’s. Only downside is no integration with ST…