[DEPRECATED ] Automatic Connected Car- Integration with SmartThings

Hi @hajar, I added the switch to correct the presence value (if for some unpredictable reasons) the presence value is not up to date due to poor cellular data connection or Automatic issues or else.

For example, if you do a trip back home home and you have not connected your Automatic device before leaving, then you may want to correct your presence sensor to be “present” after the fact when you’re home. The switch can be used for that use case.

The presence value works fine for me (and for others) when the Automatic device is connected properly and you have your cellular data connection on during a trip.

I have also contacted Automatic support to make sure that the logic I implemented is the right one.

Regards.

@SBDOBRESCU, the Ignition:on/off events are sent by Automatic and processed by my code with no issues (at least in my area).

I understand that the setup is more complicated that I’d like, but there are some Automatic limitations in terms of multi-user url redirection.

As you can see by the amount of code required (more than 4K lines of code), this is not a simple cloud-to-cloud integration with SmartThings, but I was able to complete it in the best way possible.

Regards.

1 Like

You did a terrific job, man. Great work and is packed full of goodies. Thanks for all your work. If I remember correctly, your presence is only based on zip code, has that changed? I’ve got your app only because I am tired of IFTTT’s flakiness of triggering the ignition on/off at home, but didn’t spend much time with it, that’s why I didn’t tag your name to my previous post. I am not familiar with your work, just yet, but I can tell you put a lot of effort in it.

Please refer to the ST community wiki for more details on presence detection, I’ve tried to explain it the best I could:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=My_Automatic_Device#Troubleshooting

Refer to item 11.

In some cases, the zip/postal code is enough (mostly in dense urban areas).

In other areas, you may need to use your street name and, even your full address. But, you need to enter your home address the way Automatic wants it to be (normalized). The explanations at the wiki indicate how to get the normalized address.

Regards.

1 Like

Hi,

I added all the “free” Automatic smartapps that are compatible with MyAutomatic device to the SmartThingsPublic repo today in order to make it easier for users who have integrated their IDE with github to get the latest changes.

If you have the github integration, you just need to select the Automatic apps that you need when you “Update From Repo” (yracine is at the end of the “New - only from github” list).

GitHub Settings:

Owner: yracine
Name: SmartThingsPublic
Branch: master

N.B. The Automatic smartapps require MyAutomatic device, which is available at my store:

Regards.

1 Like

Nice, thank you that makes it much easier to run and get updates, when and if available.

Hi,
Please take note of the following news:

Regards.

P.S. My Automatic Device will be able to support the new Automatic Pro device as the Automatic APIs are the same. My Automatic device already supports 1st and 2nd generation of Automatic devices.

The trip data should be transmitted faster to the Automatic backend (and to SmartThings) as there is embedded 3G connectivity with the new dongle.

5 Likes

Speaking of the Pro…

Or even the previous generations - can this inform you if/when your doors are unlocked? I am most interested in it’s ability to monitor events - doors unlocked, car started, car moving, etc…

Don’t care so much about usage metrics - but that’s neat. Any insight to that?

Hi,

See my previous post about the supported events.

The doors unlocked events are not supported.

Regards.

Thanks Sir.

Question about this.

Is this a limitation of the device, the API or simply not included in our app?

Hi, I’m supporting all events sent by Automatic, and car door unlocked events are not supported by the Automatic APIs.

Regards.

P.S. BTW, I’ve never received the location:updated and hmi:interaction events from Automatic even though the app supports them.

Thank you again.

What I am refering to, and this maybe marketing hype by a third party website, but see this:

AUTOMATIC PRO
Like the original, the Automatic Pro plugs into your car’s OBD-II port. Unlike the original, it doesn’t need your phone to work. It uses an always-available, completely free 3G wireless connection to upload driving data to the cloud, where it’ll be waiting for you whenever you fire up the app. The 3G gives you real-time location of your car, that when combined with IFTTT, can do things like lock your doors and turn on your lights automatically, and, of course, it still lets you find out what’s really going on anytime your dashboard starts lighting up.

Do you know if Automatic Pro reports these events to automatic users - if through the App or otherwise?

Hi,

You can lock your house’s doors and turn on/off/flash your house lights thru the automaticHA smartapp
that I’ve developed:

But, not the car doors or car lights, it’s not clear which ones you want to control. The marketing excerpt refers to the house doors and lights that you can control thru IFTTT (which I also can do thru my smartapps with routines), not the connected car itself.

Regards.

Oh I see. Yeah I I don’t necessarily want to lock my car doors, but that would be neat.

What I really want to the ability to get data from automatic to the app or via the app that tells me when:

My Car Locks are unlocked
My Car is Started
My Car moves

Any possible? App or API?

Hi,

I doubt IFTTT supports the car locked/unlocked events as the Automatic APIs don’t support those events.

The car started event is supported through the ignition:on events. You can also know when you car is stopped (ignition:off).

For the car moves, you will know only if one of those events are triggered:

‘notification:speeding’
‘notification:hard_brake’
‘notification:hard_accel’
‘mil:on’, (check engine light On)
‘mil:off’, (check engine light Off)

Otherwise, you can assume that the car is moving right after the ignition:on event is triggered.

That’s the current limitations with the Automatic APIs and SmartThings (as the ST platform does not support websockets to get the car’s current real-time location).

Regards.

1 Like

Thank you. Very clear.

One more, beyond the scope of the API and your tie in - Does or can the native Automatic App notify you when the doors on the car are unlocked?

None of the car lock events are supported (i.e.,locked or unlocked) by Automatic at the moment. If they support them later, I can easily add the new events to my device and smartapps.

Regards.

1 Like

It’s marketing BS. There are only triggers and no actions for Automatic. The only one that might do what you think, is physically pushing a button on Automatic and have doors locked or engine started by a compatible car. Below are all the triggers. If you ask me, the Automatic was a waste of money. First you cannot share the device between two phones. Secondly your phone has to be in the car to get live updates (this one I think will be solved by the free 2 year trial 3G connection). I do have @yvesracine app, and he did a great job from what I’ve seen, but like you I was interested in location and ignition triggers and was very disappointed.

1 Like

Hi, you have better response times with the direct integration with SmartThings through my Automatic device. Usually, you can get the real time events about 2-5 minutes after.

For my personal usage, I do not think it’s a waste of money, but everybody has his/her own set of requirements.

Regards.

1 Like

I’m having problems installing the MyAutomaticServiceMgr. OAuth is enabled. I got through to the step where I should be able to select the Automatic Device. I’m getting an “unexpected error” on that screen. I can see in the logs that my device was detected

getAutomaticDevices>found vehicleId=C_6dab753f779711a0,name=null,make=Toyota,model=Highlander.

I also see the final debug statement printed from the AutomaticDeviceList function:

list p: [name:deviceList, title:Select Your vehicle(s), nextPage:otherSettings, previousPage:null, content:AutomaticDeviceList, install:false, refreshInterval:-1, sections:[[input:[[description:Tap to choose, multiple:true, title:, required:true, name:AutomaticDevices, type:enum, metadata…list p: [name:deviceList, title:Select Your vehicle(s), nextPage:otherSettings, previousPage:null, content:AutomaticDeviceList, install:false, refreshInterval:-1, sections:[[input:[[description:Tap to choose, multiple:true, title:, required:true, name:AutomaticDevices, type:enum, metadata:[values:[952b7424-bdee-4f36-bc58-0800fead20a8.null.C_6dab753f779711a0:null]]]], body:[[title:, description:Tap below to see the list of Automatic connected vehicles available under your Automatic account and select the ones you want to connect to SmartThings., element:paragraph, type:paragraph, required:false, multiple:false], [element:input, description:Tap to choose, multiple:true, title:, required:true, name:AutomaticDevices, type:enum, options:[952b7424-bdee-4f36-bc58-0800fead20a8.null.C_6dab753f779711a0:null]]], hideable:false, hidden:false]], popToAncestor:null, onUpdate:null]