[DEPRECATED ] Automatic Connected Car- Integration with SmartThings

Hi,

1. Yes, I will add the required flag in the next version.

2. This would require some kind of integration with the Google Maps APIs as the Automatic APIs do not provide this kind of information…

Looking at the Google WEB APis (as I do not want to be iOS or Android Specific), it does not look as this information is available either (ETA on a current trip).

I will dig further, but it does not look as no 2 is something I can implement easily. Let me know if you find
anything on your end.

Regards

P.S. Another issue is that SmartThings does not currently support websockets. Websockets are required to ping the actual vehicle location…

1 Like

Have you looked at the Dash API? It appears websockets are not a requirement.

I have compared the two systems and much prefer that Dash can use a more capable, versatile, and cheaper OBDII device than the Automatic one (i.e. Scantool MX, LX). It seems the only thing the Automatic offers that the other scan tools don’t is 8 hours of trip memory should your phone not be connected.

I have looked into Dash, and I prefer Automatic for the reason you posted…

I want to be able to record all my trips regardless if I have my phone with me or not…

Regards.

P.S. Also, there is a $25 price difference between the 2… You can get Automatic for $75 with discounts.

Hi again,

I’ve looked into the Dash Chassis APIs… They do not provide real time car location information through
their webhooks.

In fact, their APIs are not as rich as Automatic. Although, I like Dash’s data model as it’s simpler than the Automatic one overall.

Regards.

That’s odd. I see long and lat as params for the vehicle state payload.

Hi,

Probably, you can get the lat, lon when events are triggered (ex. hard brake, hard accel), just like
Automatic.

But, you cannot ping the actual vehicle location at any time. Automatic can allow it thru websockets.

See http://dash.by/resources.html

Regards.

LX is available at $50, will work with all other OBD2 software, including diagnostics, all PIDs, measurement, and code clearing. There really is no comparison between to the two devices when it comes to capabilities.

Just how closely did you look at this…

Webhooks
A webhook is a client application defined callback. In DASH, we let applications register a single url and we’ll POST events to this url in real-time. When these events are triggered, Dash will call your registered webhook url and deliver a Payload.

Hi @scottinpollock,

Just show me which APIs one needs to call to get the actual vehicle location…

I used webhooks with Automatic as well, and I get all the real time events from Automatic with lat, lon (see my posts above for the list of RT events).

However, I cannot get the real time vehicle location at a given time (if no events are generated at that time).

Regards.

Wouldn’t it be this one…

https://dash.by/endpoint.html?endpoint=/api/chassis/v1/routes

This is not a webhook for RT… This API allows you to get the route after a trip is completed (so not in RT).

The list of RT events is quite limited (it does not include hard_brake, hard_accel, check_engine_light On/Off, speeding)…

https://dash.by/webhooks.html

The Dash APIs are still a work in progress (compared to Automatic).

Regards.

You’re saying that what would come back from that endpoint during a trip would be points from the last completed trip?

Yes, it would bring back information about a given trip:

GET

/api/chassis/v1/routes/{tripId}

You need to specify a tripId as a parameter.

P.S. I do not have more time to discuss about the Dash Chassis APIs as I’m working only on Automatic.

Regards.

Hi @yvesracine. Unfortunately, I am not sure my presence worked… I don’t see any indication in the Activity log or device eventTripAddress attribute in the device.
I did a rule machine conditional test and it says it’s not present.

Also, I installed the real time app and I didn’t get a push notification when location:updated changed. This could be related to my first issue.

Hi @Mbhforum, the location:updated event is not triggered by Automatic (according to my tests).

If you have enabled the RT events processing at Automatic (as indicated in my email and at my readme), then
you should see the event “trip:completed”. This RT event would then update your eventTripEndAddress field
which I use in my code to update the presence sensor.

If you do not see any RT events in the recently tab, then it means that the RT events processing is probably not set properly.

Please PM your logs next time so I can see what’s going on at your location.

Regards.

You are correct sir! I missed the webhook step which I just corrected. I will keep you posted tomorrow on my adventures :slight_smile:

Ok, check your email as I just sent a new version (v2.0.7) which allows changing your icon.

Regards.

Thanks. You answered my question about how do receive updates :slight_smile:

I loaded the new Device Type code and published it and I quit the ST mobile app but I don’t see any way to change the icon still.

Yes, I just realized that. It looks like a ST UI issue, but I will investigate further. I tested it yesterday and it worked then.

CanChangeIcon set to true is the right way to do it usually.

Regards.

Thanks. I used to use that code too for my custom device types as well which is why I was puzzled.