[DEPRECATED ] Automatic Connected Car- Integration with SmartThings

Hi @slagle, is there a backlog list we can consult somewhere so that we can see the progress of this potential tighter integration over time?

Regards.

Understandable. Thanks for keeping it on the table.

Not at the moment. Though, Not for not wanting one necessarily.

@slagle, why don’t we use the ST community wiki to create one?

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ThingsThatAreSmart_Wiki

:grinning:
Regards.

1 Like

This is cool, I just ordered one. Fyi - use the discount code MACRUMORS to get 20% off.

Yes, I had already created a thread for the discount. The referral link is there:

@yvesracine I have free access to some Azure cloud computing if that would help you with any type of advanced integration.

HI @zj4x4,

As posted earlier in this thread, to avoid re-inventing the wheel for the proxy-app, I’d need Heroku as a container.

The best approach would be that ST would support websockets.

And, I’m not sure that ST community support is there for real time event processing. As you can see by my earlier posts in this thread, I’ve also tried to generate some interests from SmartThings itself with limited success.

FYI, I’ve done a lot of integration work (and produced thousands of lines of code) to make this integration possible, and so far, this integration is not quite as popular as My ecobee Device.

My HA hobby time is more and more limited with a full time job and a family…

EDIT:
P.S. I still believe that this integration has a lot of potential though in the long term. If ST wants to help
me in completing it, they know where to find me. I think that there are some benefits for ST to be able to
integrate with technologies such as Automatic (Connected Car devices).

And, please support the developer :grinning:
Regards.

1 Like

My car leaves the OBD port powered even when the car is off, leaving something like this in will kill the battery won’t it?

Would it be possible to design this so that when the car starts it triggers the garage door to open and when I switch off the car it triggers it to close (additional logic would be require but you know what I mean…)?

Hi @Benji, see my earlier posts about Real Time Event processing.

This is not possible at the moment.

Regards.

1 Like

I followed the steps all the way down to the part where I run the smartApp and authenticate.

At that point, instead of an authentication screen, I get what appears to be a JSON response saying:

{“error”:true, “type”:“groovy.lang.MissingMethodException”,“message”:“An unexpected error occurred.”}

As best I can tell I did everything correctly…

Create Device & publish, Create App, Create App under Automatic, Copy Keys to ST App, save & publish…

I’m seeing the following in the log, which I’m sure is related:

signature of method: script######################.getSmartThingsClientId() is applicable for argument types: () values: []
Possible solutions: getSmartThingsClientd() @ line 500

I thought this was originally what is intended but the redirect URLs that come up (I do still see a redirect url, 3 of them in fact) don’t seem to have any effect. And if I am reading the steps right, I should get some kind of screen before I see the invalid error that comes up, but in this case it’s going straight to the JSON shown…

I found a work around, I replaced the reference on line 500 with my public key and it appears to have worked…

@bobbythompson, the authorization with Automatic is a known issue under the wiki:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=My_Automatic_Device

The way to format the public and private keys is described at the wiki.

Regards.

I managed to get passed the problem by replacing all the function references with the direct string copy of my public keys…

I’m having a separate problem now. I added 3 of my vehicles to the app, but they all show the same data (they each are named independently but the individual vehicles show they are all 2016 Honda fits, when only 1 of them actually is).

That’s strange as I use the same coding technique for all my Custom devices w/o any issues (My Neur.io and My Ecobee device share the same code basically for object instantiation) and I can create multiple devices and they are all different.

As a workaround for the moment (it could be an Automatic issue), just create 3 instances of MyAutomaticServiceMgr (one for each car) and rename the app at the last page.

Bye.

I appreciate the help but for some reason it didn’t work…

Deleted the SmartApp all together, started a new one from scratch, selected only 1 vehicle…

It again is reflecting the same Honda Fit vehicle I was getting in my last attempts even though this time around I didn’t re-use anything from my last attempt…

I created a new SmartApp, created a new App on Automatic, then added the OAuth URL and selected only 1 vehicle on the final screen…

The end result was the same, It says Toyota Corolla but shows all the info form my Honda Fit…

Not really sure what else I could try or if I am somehow doing something wrong.

Hi, try the new version of MyAutomaticDevice under my github.

I don’t have multiple Automatic devices, so I was not able to test this use case.

P.S. If it still does not work, you’d need to enable more tracing as described in
the readme at the end (step 8) and PM me the logs in IDE live logging (just for the device itself).

Regards. :grinning:

And, please support the developer

Yves - I found your thread over on the Automatic discussion forum. I’ve been trying to use a Gen 1 automatic hub to integrate with ST using IFTTT with no success as you noted. Your solution appears to be what I need. I will give it a try. All I need is a trigger for a garage door close at the moment. I may add more later. Does your code support this now or are you still waiting on something from team ST? I couldn’t quite tell from the dialog above. I assume it works now but please confirm before I dive in as the install process looks quite complex.

Hi, the code does not support real-time events…It does work for past trips.

Regards.

I’m having the same problem as @bobbythompson. I cannot get past the error code.