[DEPRECATED] Ask Alexa 2.3.8

Did you save the skill? If so this may just be a function of how it is picking up compound commands on the Alexa side. However, the other thing you could do since it sounds like you are opening them at the same time…create another macro called “Open both garages” and put them both in there to open, then another for close.

The utterances you have would normally work if you didn’t have a reserved word of open in it, but I think the above should work as well.

One last thing you can do for me is run the compound command in the simulator. I am actually curious on what is sent to Amazon…send the JSON via PM and I can look at it…It will be the ‘left’ one on the simulator page.

Where is the simulator?

On the developer page where you update the utterances (Under the test tab). Simply type the commands AFTER the Alexa, tell home…so

open xxxx garage door and open yyyy garage door

Sent the info, hope it helps. I didn’t send the response unless you need it. When I pressed listen it received the same errors. Now an Aliases only has to be setup for that Macro, which I did. I didn’t see anywhere to add it to AWS. I called it “Open Eliane’s Garage door”

UPDATE: Something interesting it is a compound command problem, as I just opened Alayne’s Garage door and closed it not a problem. But compound command does not work, no luck.

Compound commands are processed completely different and separate from single commands, so the issues do not surprise me.

Does the return of Jason (sounds like a horror movie) have any impact on the Ask Alexa Echosisstant merger?

To be clear, this was less of a merger and more of an effort to implement the best functionality and practices of both apps into Ask Alexa. For example, for the next release I will put in the PIN restrictions that are mentioned here: [DEPRECATED] EchoSistant Evolved ~ Amazon Echo's Only Assistant with Robust Scheduling and Flexible Reporting. With the new Echo identification system I am implementing, this seemed like a good time to implement PIN restrictions.

After that, Tony and I will be working on the installer, which will FINALLY put an end to all of the copy/paste stuff you have to do to get the app operational.

From there, who knows…

1 Like

So is the agreement that was reached 18 days ago still agreed upon by all parties involved?

I’m still planning on keeping the agreement.
I was hoping that this would be more or a merging of ideas while maintaining AA as the name, but I don’t think that’s what Michael had in mind.
We’ve both been very busy lately and haven’t had a huge amount of time to discuss it but I think he’s just looking to merge in Echosistants automated lambda and skill deployment management. Oh well :slight_smile:

I guess my question specifically is having the developer of ES 4.5 returning to support that version, is he still ok with any/all components at anytime being merged into AA? I ask this as I have removed both ES and AA in anticipation of a fully automated installation of AA in the future with additional components of ES introduced without any conflict between the two products. I think that’s a question that a lot of people would like to know the answer to with the surprise “I’m back” announcement.

As for the automation of Lambda/Skill deployment, that if I understand correctly is your doing based on installers you personally have built, so that is yours already, so that one is a given. :slight_smile:

Earlier versions of ES prior to version 5 are all Jason and Bobby’s. When they brought me in I completely rewrote the entire app from scratch with @coreylista.

So I believe that Jason is going to continue maintaining and developing the ES4 code base.

I appreciate that. I just hope that it was also agreed upon that the current version of ES will be maintained and no longer be built upon further than it already has with no additional future release so that there is no longer a competing back and forth between the two products so that one can become the mainstream for ST.

I will support the current version of ES, not version 5 as it was advertised.
Michael has made it quite clear that he is not interested in a merger, but only wants to incorporate the features of the ES v5 install process.
Which is unfortunate.

I may continue to develop previous versions, but have not made a final decision. If I do, I will also incorporate the install process.

But there are other factors to take into account before I make that decision.

Sorry for the confusion. Just like Tony, I was hoping for a mutual merger and working together to bring the features of ES into AA to make one outstanding product.

Thanks for the clarification Jason. That’s exactly what I was looking for. Having some of the benefits that existed in ES that AA doesn’t have and incorporating everything into a single product I think will benefit ST customers in a huge way and then having different options/choices within a single product will be huge for the future of the product.

Enjoy the beach! :smile:

Today is my first day of retirement! I guess I’m one of the lucky ones… I’m only 43!

I would love to see the features of ES put into AA and only one product for the community.

Ask Michael to incorporate the things you want. I’m sure he’d be happy to do it.

Glad everyone is speaking for me…let me put my 2 cents in.

The original post that I put up is still my intention. I never used the word ‘merger’ as that means something completely different to me. A while back I worked a job where one of my duties was to work with mergers and acquisitions. While a benign word, 'merger’s leaves a bad taste in my mouth as there are always people’s feelings being hurt and people being ‘displaced’ by the act of a merger.

This ‘partnership’ between Tony and I was always about the mutual respect we had for each other and each other’s apps and processes. Tony used some of my documentation for his NST app, and I heard a number of good things about the installer that he and Corey came up with. After seeing some of the ‘drama’ that crept up when a competing Nest app was released, I felt (and I won’t speak for Tony, but assume he felt the same way) that this whole competition thing was NOT in the spirit of what the community stood for. While empirically two or more apps can exist in the same space, emotions and egos get involved, and it all turns into a ‘who is copying whom’ scenario instead of serving the needs of the community. This really was drove home when one of the beta testers of ESv5 sent me an unsolicited e-mail ‘revealing’ their plans, thinking they would help me. I found that behavior extremely immature and deleted it. Didn’t need it…

Bottom line, Tony and I have had some lively conversations about our design philosophies and where we could take Ask Alexa. While we don’t agree on everything, I feel we are both on the same path with providing a quality product. It has always bugged me that it was so difficult to install a skill. Tony and Corey solved that and I feel honored that they would want to share that with me. That is the next step. From there, we will see where other improvements could be made…I was thinking I would love to take the plunge into an Ask Alexa Web Interface (think WebCore style) and that is NOT my forte…but seems to be where Tony is rather strong. Again, this was less of a merger (i.e. not to displace anyone), but more of a partnership where we can both contribute to the development of something for the benefit of the community.

So, if there are things that will improve Ask Alexa, let me know…As Jason said, it would probably better for all parties to have ONE product for the community.

3 Likes

Michael,
I wasn’t trying to speak for you.

No matter what each person defines merger as, I feel the same way as Michael. One product is all that is needed. Why compete when we can all work together!

So, on that note…

I will support ES as far as what is currently available. I see no reason to develop it any further. If a user wants an ES feature in AA, I will gladly work with Michael to make that happen.

So, @MichaelS, I’m extending an offer to work with you on making AA even better. What do you say?

A web based AA would be awesome!

3 Likes

I have deprecated this version…version 2.3.9 will be out on Friday so if you were looking to install, please wait until then.

For those current users, I suggest the following:

Back up your Lambda and your developer JSON Code (you have to user the BUILDER interaction model to capture the text). Just save it in a text file on your computer…just in case.

See you Friday!

And the new code is up: