[DEPRECATED] Ask Alexa 2.3.0

Yeah…This is a common problem. Within Ask Alexa I fixed many of these for devices by setting up aliases for both devices and macros…However, the limiting factor will be what Amazon hears, and that is not configurable by the end user.

This wiki suggests that I can use Ask Alexa as a door chime. Is that actually possible?

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Set_Up_a_Door_Open_Chime/Siren

Actually it isn’t…not directly…Alexa can not ‘wake up’ without a voice command. Ask Alexa does have the ability to put things into a ‘message queue’, but you still need to query Alexa to get the alert, which almost defeats the purpose of the ‘door chime’ concept.

1 Like

Gotcha. Thanks!

1 Like

I have updated Ask Alexa to 2.3.1…This introduces the concept of Rooms/Groups without having to install additional skills.

@MichaelS, quick question. I run R&D at our company and as a fun project to learn/understand Azure Event Hubs/Streaming Analytics/PowerBI I’ve decided to attempt to stream all my Smarthome data (which is a lot) into an Azure Event Hub and then push that data to blob storage and PowerBI via Stream Analytics. To do this, I’ve used the work of Ben Crouse - http://bencrouse.com/post/publishing-smartthings-events-to-an-azure-event-hub

I have this functioning and it’s pushing the data that he has built in. That said, I want to add additional data to be pushed up to Azure, specifically data from the Foobot so I can track air quality and what specifically typically goes bad in my house, etc, to run cool reports and even do some machine learning, etc, etc.

Long story short, the ‘capability’ items come across just fine. For example, when I added the capability of Carbon Dioxide measurement to the app it found the foobot, let me select it and push data. The issue I am running into is that pollution, particle, voc, and GPIstate are listed as ‘attributes’ in your code. As such if I attempt to pull them in as capabilities in the Azure event hub smartthings app it doesn’t see the device. If I change it to ‘attribute’ in the Azure event hub smartthings app then it just asks me to enter a value rather than pulling the data from the device to be pushed up.

Any advice on how to make this work? Been banging my head against the wall for a while so hoping you had some thoughts.

Thanks!