[DEPRECATED] Ask Alexa 2.2.5

Imagine my disappointment at not finding a margarita machine in the office breakroom this morning. This company has no respect for cultural traditions.

As for the rest of your announcement…I’m intrigued and will definitely be playing with it some this weekend. Nice work.

2 Likes

Quick “bug” report: You have named one of the white settings “Daytime White” Value but it should be “Daylight White” Value. :slight_smile:

Opps… :slight_smile: I am sending out a revision now :slight_smile: Thanks for the heads up.

New version is 2.2.5a

I messed up big time and upgraded with out doing this.:cry:
also I did not save a copy of the the old code either…

Should I just delete all my voice reports and then create new ones are will this just cause more damage?
as of now I get an error if I try to create a new one.

Sean,

The good news is that you MAY not be too bad off. First, don’t try to delete anything…

Second, here is the old code: https://github.com/MichaelStruck/SmartThingsPublic/blob/bc5ade862daebcd6c4e400586709e6d1434a9f26/smartapps/michaelstruck/ask-alexa.src/ask-alexa.groovy

Put this back in your IDE…everything SHOULD be back to where it was…then follow those direction to back up (either on paper or screenshots) your settings. THEN delete all of your voice reports, then upgrade back to 2.2.5. That should set up up correctly…you can then create your new voice reports.

OK that seems to have worked!:grinning:
I have successfully downgraded
backed up (per your instructions this time)
and upgraded to 2.2.5

now I just need to rebuild my reports.

Thank you for your help!!!

That is excellent! Glad you were able to upgrade. I know it can get scary but the data was still there so it was just a matter of accessing it using the old code.

For those interesting in what is happening this week with Ask Alexa and the new Show…

For those that have been waiting for push notification, we are almost there:

Can restrictions be added back to Voice and Weather reports? I created a Flash Briefing Macro that has three Voice Reports: Morning, Afternoon and Evening. Based on the time of day, I will get a different weather report. For example, the Morning report will give weather for that day whereas the Evening report will give the weather for the next day. This allowed me to just listen to the Flash Briefing and it would give different reports depending on when I asked for it. Since 2.2.5 none of the reports have time of day/week restrictions so I lost that functionality. Just wanted to request that this could be re-added in a future version?

Thanks

I couldn’t think of a use case to have restrictions in voice reports but you gave one!

I started the process of adding that back in…sorry I took it out but I appreciate you giving a clear use case.

1 Like

For those that look forward to my Friday updates…here is a good one:

Really strange bug that I accidentally discovered.

All these work properly:

1. Set nook to warm white and set the level to one hundred percent
  2. Set nook to blue and set the level to seventy percent
  3. Set nook to red and set the level to eighty one percent

Any phrase that sets the color AND the level to exactly “eighty” percent, only sets the color and the level is IGNORED.

1. Set nook to warm white and set the level to eighty percent
  2. Set nook to blue and set the level to eighty percent
  3. Set nook to red and set the level to eighty percent

But just setting the level without setting the color also works properly.

1. Set nook to eighty percent

So basically a compound command setting the color and level of exactly eighty percent is mysteriously broken.

What if you left off the percent word? What does live logging or the Alexa App show you are saying ( or more correctly what is it hearing)

I’m actually using the Service Simulator. I basically spell out eighty there.

So I tried the same command without the “percent” at the end and that works! A very strange bug–adding percent at the end breaks it again, but only for “eighty percent” specifically.

Hmm…The ironic part is that there is no code that prevents that specific command…the percent and other ancillary words are in the sample utterances which are stripped out when Alexa processes the data. Very weird.

Figured it out–there was not an explicit utterance match with the phrase I was using. So I went and added again to the Sample Utterances and created a pull request. That solved the problem! :slight_smile:

Excellent…I got your pull request. I will add these immediately so others can take advantage of them! One note…you asked if the order makes a difference…While hypothetically is probably does, we would have to get into the tens of thousands (50k is the limit) to see it make much of a difference. That being said, I actually have them in an order that makes sense by category. I am open to ideas, however, if there is a better way. We should talk offline to ensure you don’t waste your time, however.

For those that are interested…

This version (2.2.5) is now unsupported…welcome schedules with 2.2.6!