[Deprecated] Ask Alexa 2.1.9

and @bamarayne… I thought we had potentially defective units. Our two dots have been driving us bonkers with audio issues. It’s almost like they’re hard-of-hearing. We use one in our bedroom for our alarm clock, and sometimes we’ve had to yell at it a few times to get it to shut off - not necessarily a bad thing when you really don’t want to get up to go to work!

I’ll try the towel idea…

The towel definitely made a difference for mine…

Something I did notice is this…

the Dots seem to work best if your voice is coming from the side. I had one mounted on the wall at about eye level and that thing just didn’t want to cooperate at all. I put it on a table… works just fine.

1 Like

Glad the towel thing worked!

1 Like

Oh, If the towel thingy is working that you guys can try decorating with sound proof materials:

Maybe Alexa didn’t want to do all that work lying on her back. :joy:

2 Likes

Been away. I’ll try a towel / cloth under the Dot. Thx for the suggestion.

Yet another opportunity to reduce the WAF :joy:

Please note the app has been upgraded to 2.1.9.

@MichaelS I set up ask Alexa a few months back with no problems. Now that I know how to do it I was helping a friend do it and of course I am rushing because I think I know how to do it and we’re having issues. On lambda, on configuration. At the top of the page it has a banner that says you are not authorized to execute this task, I’m paraphrasing. Where did we go wrong?

Can you share a screen shot…I have never seen that. General troubleshooting for Lambda issues include ensuring you have the datacenter set up to US East (N Virginia) and that you ensure you set up the Alexa skill properly (reference: http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Ask_Alexa#Developer_and_Lambda_Code_Installation)

Let me know if that helps.

@MichaelS
Okay here it is he just sent me this

Hmmm. Never seen that. I would abandon that code and start from scratch. Seems to be account issue on Amazon.

I have the hardtime installing ask alex , I hope i will be helped.
Thank you,pogs19

There are many people around who might be able to help. Could you be more specific as to what is giving you grief? Errors, logs, what Alexa says when you are trying to invoke your skill?

Did your friend ever get this resolved?

I have been struggling with the Ask Alexa installation - When I test my Ask Alexa - Smartthings Integration setup on the Amazon developer site, I am unable to get the lambda function to authenticate with the Ask Alexa SmartApp. I’ve noticed that the OAuth client ID/secret is different on the graph-na02-useast1.api.smartthings.com ide vs. the app on my phone, and also different from the one I have on graph.api.smartthings.com ide

which one to use or how do I go about debugging this?

The OAuth is different for every app. So with Ask Alexa you generate the Oauth then copy the proper settings from. The setup page to the Lambda code. Did you do that part?

Currently, I have my STappID variable set from the Client-ID from the AskAlexa app settings page on graph-na02-useast1.api.smartthings.com, with hyphens included (as it is in the AskAlexa settings page), and the STtoken variable set from the Client Secret field. It results in an invalid token - actually the statement after if (beginJSON.error === “invalid_token” does not print, just the “There was an error with the Ask Alexa SmartApp execution. If this continues, please contact the author of the SmartApp” message.

of course, my utterance string could be wrong, I typed in “garage door status” as the utterance on the Test page of the developer.amazon.com when adding the skill. I have a device called garage door which is a door sensor.

Does “Alexa, ask SmartThings help” work? That will determine if the codes are input correctly.

That results in: The remote endpoint could not be called, or the response it returned was invalid.

This means you have an issue with either the Oauth, the ARN or something is missing from the code. I am traveling right now do I can’t help much more than that right now…I recommend going back to the instructions and triple checking you did each step…This does work but is very picky on having all steps followed.