[DEPRECATED] 2015 Voice Assistant Run Routine FAQ--see 2017 FAQ instead

Given how flaky things have been on the platform for the last 24 hours, it may well be a platform issue.

But it should be discoverable once you have authorized it in the smartthings Amazon echo smart app.

In the new app you need to go to the things view (4 little squares for an icon at the bottom of the screen ), choose smartapps, then choose the Amazon echo icon.

This will show you the List of devices that you currently have authorized for echo to use. Click on the + to add more. Then click on the “next” at the top of the screen.

You will then see a new page telling you to instruct echo to discover the new devices. Do that, and wait until echo tells you it is done. Then click the done at the top of the screen in the ST mobile app.

The virtual switch should then be available to echo. But again, if it’s not working right now it might be a platform issue.

1 Like

@JDRoberts @smart D’oh. You guys are right. I missed the part where I had to expose the switch to the Echo using the SmartApp. All is well now.

Also, I’m using the “Switch Activates Home Phrase” SmartApp to trigger the events when I say my voice command. What is the difference between this and the one from @MichaelS?

Just a different set up wizard. The two smart apps end up with the same result.

Michael designed his specifically for people setting up virtual switches for echo, so he has distinguish between momentary switches and binary switches, and you can set up six different scenarios in one pass through the set up wizard. So Michael’s is just a little more convenient to use during set up. But once they’re in use everything is the same.

@MichaelS code is the latest and greatest
In fact I am installing it right now from

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MichaelStruck/SmartThings/master/Other-SmartApps/AlexaHelper/Alexa%20Helper.groovy

I hope Michael doesn’t mind sharing the link.

2 Likes

Don’t mind at all. 20 char

1 Like

Thank you so much for this! Everything was straightforward and easy to follow. TO be completely transparent I just opened/installed my ST today. I’m a convert from Vera just for this functionality. :smile:

1 Like

Make sure you have version 2.2.2
I made a small revision to fix an issue with slot/scenario 4 yesterday.

i have the smart app added correctly, but when i try to add my device type to use, it just spins and spins, any suggestions

Are you referring adding he switch in app, or adding a virtual device in the IDE?

I got it now, lol, once I figured out I had to add via the same app and not on IDE, got it working. Thanks again, works like a charm

I got my Echo a week ago and I followed the instructions here to setup some virtual switches to trigger Routines. Initially, it seemed to work. Then, it would not work.

After troubleshooting, I figured out that the virtual switches are remaining “on”, and if they’re on, when you “turn them on” again (by telling Alexa to turn on a Routine), the Routine doesn’t trigger. If I turn off the virtual switch, then say the command again, it works.

Any suggestions on how to work around this?

You need to use a “momentary” virtual switch instead of an “ON/OFF” virtual switch.

Ah. That makes sense, but where I do it? In the IDE, I only see “Simulated Switch” on the device type, where do I indicate it should be a momentary switch?

The very first post in this thread is the FAQ on using virtual switches to control modes.

The first link in that post will take you to the FAQ on creating virtual switches, which it sounds like it would be helpful to you. It tells you how to create the switches, including the different types. Here is that link again. It tells you how to create the switches, including the different types. Here is that link again. It should be of help. :sunglasses:

Thanks @JDRoberts. I had been using that FAQ, but I followed the step-by-step instructions in the first post I saw there about making virtual switches, and I hadn’t seen the follow-up posts about other types. Thanks for pointing it out, sorry I missed it before.

1 Like

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but

When I add a simulated switch it shows up in the Amazon Echo Device List so I can export it to the my
Echo, just like it should.
But, when I do this with a simulated button, it does NOT show in the list so I can’t export it.
Is it supposed to work this way? Am I the only one?
The button works like it should, It just doesn’t show in the list.
Thanks

Sounds like you’re using a device type from a class that the echo doesn’t recognize.

I usually use “momentary button tile” for a virtual momentary switch to be controlled by Echo.

What’s the exact type that you’re using?

Thanks, that works. But now I’m confused. I thought you had to use the ‘simulated’ types to create a simulated switch/button/etc. I was using type ‘Simulated Button’. Apparently, the more I learn, the less I know. :wink:

Device type names are pretty random, I think they just got added as different projects needed them.

Slight variation on similar questions but I was wanting the ability to change the Security setting as well (Armed/Away/Disarm), any ideas or links on where that code could be incorporated into here?

If my girls could come down the stairs and say ‘Alexa disarm’ or something since they don’t know how to operate the Smartthings apps, that’s the goal. Thanks!