Delete Topic

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

You might as well be asking why no support for: [insert name of any of 1000’s of different smart products here].

I’ve never heard of Geeni. There are plenty of even more popular unsupported products. And plenty of supported ones.

If you want Geeni to be integrated with SmartThings, reach out to Geeni to ask them to integrate.

-> Integrations are the responsibility of the device manufacturer; not SmartThings.

2 Likes

Support for these devices is possible. I was going to port my solution over but then I gave my hub to my brother. So nothing to test with. I can say with confidence minimal changes would be necessary as it started life in ST before I moved on.

It is not pretty but gets the job done reliably. I had actually hoped someone with more skills than I would pick it up and run with it.

And yes geeni falls in with these devices as well as likely many many others.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure there is an IFTTT integration. So you could use that as a middle man.

I disagree, you may not have heard of geeni products but that is of little consequence to the fact that they are extremely popular as they are sold at Walmarts across the country; they’re highly compatible and budget friendly.

To the OP, I found myself also wondering why there wasn’t support for geeni products considering that Wink, alexa & google all offer support and integrations for them.

4 Likes

Aren’t these WiFi only? If so there is and will never be any direct integration to SH.

That doesn’t mean they’re popular.
I never heard of them either.

2 Likes

Anyone get this ported over to ST? At Sams Club, they have 4 of the Geeni prisma 1050 RGB bulbs for $49.

They’re wifi. They will never work directly with ST.

I quit using these devices when I found the insides of one melted but it continued to work like nothing was wrong.

There was some success flashing tasmota firmware on these devices and using hubitat driver for direct integration.

1 Like

Actually there is a way to make it work. Just link Honeywell total connect comfort works with Smartthings by integrating the login credentials they can do the same with Geeni. Just have to push both sides for the integration.

1 Like

Geeni is one of those brands that you never heard of, but suddenly they are everywhere. Walmart, Best Buy, Home Depot, etc. if you look at their Amazon store you’ll be pleasantly surprised how many good products they have. @tgauchat I do agree they are wi-fi devices, so and Wemo and ecobee, and many other brands, and they should be integrated, without middle man IFTTT. If Smartthings wants to stay in game, they have to go with flow - wifi devices support needs to be added.

2 Likes

SmartThings is entirely capable of integration with WiFi / LAN devices.

Most commonly (and recently) this is via Cloud-to-Cloud API (eg TP-Link Kasa), but Hue is also in this general category (LAN to the Hue Bridge).

What is not clear to SmartThings Customers is that the primary responsibility for integration of any particular brand/model of device(s) lies with the manufacturer, not SmartThings.

SmartThings is a platform - sorta like Android or iOS. Google & Apple are not responsible for writing millions of Apps: They just provide specifications, programming languages / libraries, and the publication rules and process.

SmartThings provides all of the platform essentials, just like Google and Apple.

You want Geeni? Then contact Geeni and ask them to write DHs and submit them to to SmartThings for platform publication / deployment.

5 Likes

I know this is an old post but just wondering if you could explain how I might do this?

Pair your Geeni bulbs, plugs and switches with the Tuya or Smartlife apps.

You might get direct integration with Smartthings, but you probably won’t. If not you can get partial integration by doing the following.

If you open each device in the Smartlife or Tuya app and hit the edit icon it will list the “3rd party controls” that are available for that device. I have 5 Tuya devices. They all list Alexa and Google controls. Only 1 lists Smartthing control.

If they don’t list Smartthings: in the Smartlife or Tuya apps create seperate “tap-to-run” on and off automations (scenes) for each device you want to use in Smartthings.

In Smartthings run the Tuya integration. Do NOT use the Smartlife integration. (The difference between the Smartlife and Tuya intrigations is that the Tuya integration doesn’t end with an error message. And when you look on linked services the imported scenes are listed under Tuya, unlike Smartlife which is blank.)

When you go back to the main page in Smartthings you will find on and off switchs for each device possibly in No Room Assigned.

They will say they are off line, ignore that for now.

I have been using WebCore with my Smartlife/Tuya devices to overcome the offline issue, and it works good. Reportedly Sharptools can also be used, but I have never tried it.

I create a virtual switch in Smartthings for each Geeni device.

In WebCore I create a piston for each device. The first part of the piston say toggle the “on” scene when the virtual switch is turned “on”. The second part of the piston say toggle the “off” scene when the virtual switch is turned “off”.
I have been using for months with no issues.

Any Smartlife/Tuya automations you create get intergrated with Smartthings

Geeni is the name of the app to control the devices but the name of the company is Merkury Innovations. I have bulbs and cameras and I too wish we could integrate their products with smart things. It is almost getting to the point where I am better off getting rid of my hub and just going with google to control everything in my home. Samsung really needs to work on making quality products available at Walmart where everyone goes to buy things at an affordable price.

1 Like

Sadly, @tgauchat , to whom you were replying, passed away about a year ago. He is very much missed in the forums.

Recently it was announced that smartthings is getting out of the IOT hardware business altogether. They are going to focus on the platform, the cloud, and the app. They are turning over the manufacture and support of devices, including hubs, to other partners. In Europe and North America, that will be Aeotec.

Official announcement in the following thread:

An Update Regarding our Hardware

Victor,

Geeni and Merkury are both Tuya products. Pair them with the Tuya or Smartlife apps and follow the instructions in the post above yours.

You will be able to integrate bulbs, plugs and switches, but not cameras with Smartthings. You can plug the cameras into smart plugs to get on/control.

1 Like

all you have to do is make a device handler for a amazon switch then make simulated Alexa switch in the device tab on smartthings web interface. ( name it whatever the u call the light, to make it easy to find on the Alexa app) enable smartthings in Alexa app. then make a routine for that device. (will show up as a switch in the Alexa app. Webcore is not needed. hold this helps. (key note u have to make to routine to turn on and off or smartthings wont do both.)

Geeni is the name of the app that the Smart Lights etc. Use, actually. That you can download off of the Play Store or possibly Apple Store. The Smart Lights I have that use the Geeni app is called Merkury Smart Lights, which you can purchase at Walmart. People need to understand and learn the difference between a Smart Light/Appliance App and the actual Smart Light/Smart Appliance itself… Two different things.

I myself was wondering how to integrate Smartthings and Geeni together somehow… If any.