Delay for Intrusion Alert in SHM - Success!

Turns out a new version of CoRE was released earlier today.

@El.Zurdo
Welcome to the community and the addiction!
I just want to say awesome job jumping in full force and finding a solution to the problem, and then taking the time to write up a detailed report to share with others to use.

If you have questions, feel free to ask… This community is asked finding new ways to take ST to the next level. And if you can’t find it in a search, ask, it’s probably been asked already, but the forum has a horrible search function.

Rule machine was an outstanding tool that filled s bad need in the ST environment. There were a lot of growing pains after the V2 release and the developer had a falling out. He then decided to abandon the project and left.

@ady624 stepped in and repaired the void caused by the rule machine developer. He created a rule engine that makes rule machine look like a cute little toy.

So, if you’re looking to do some amazing things, jump in there and see what home automation can really do!

Has anyone done this with CoRE? I’m just getting started with it and cant get the logic right.

well i tried to follow the directions, was unsuccessful. It trips the alarm every-time. I even went back and did it again. Looks like it turns on s1, then after delay s2 and immediately virtual motion. alarm trips.
There were some settings that were unclear like to turn it off again. in the smart lighting. etc.

help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the instruction seems easy but how does it integrate with shm as I use scout to monitor.

My cables are buried and I have 2 back ups… Cellular and sat phone.

Just to be safe a 4hr battery back up on critical components plus the generator that’s wired in.

Depending on where you live in the US, it can be just as bad. One of my coworkers had that issue with his setup, where after a few false alarms he got a pretty stern warning from the local precinct.

I haven’t had this problem. Sounds like your system isn’t disarming by the time virtual motion is triggered. Make sure you’re set for “S1 On → S1 Off after daley, triggering S2 to come on → S2 turns on virtual motion.” That’s your delay. As for disarming, make sure that the routine disarms the monitor at the same time that S1 turns on. And maybe try different delays to see if disarm is getting hung up or something. I’m currently set for a 5-second delay and our alarm gets a false alarm every once in a great while.

Yup. The Smart Home Monitor that plugs into Scout will monitor for open sensors or motion. You can use the dummy contact in Core. Or, if you already have the virtual motion sensor installed from the DME setup in the original post, you can use the “Motion Sensor Activation” smart app to have the siren or some other triggered switch to turn it on.

Thank you for this! Is there anyway to pass through CoRE a variable of the name of which contact sensor originally tripped? It seems like in this setup, SHM would only show the virtual contact as the point of intrusion. I only ask as an alternative to setting every intrusion sensor up with its own virtual equivalent.

Thanks again! This is ok because I only really need the delay for my front door to eliminate someone entering the correct access code but SHM triggering an intrusion before recognizing the code is correct.

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies and methods. I have been sick with bad cold or something so haven’t been trying to work on this but will soon.

The variable you are looking for is called $currentEventDevice - you can’t pass it to SHM but you can send a notification from CoRE to let you know which device. You can also save the matching device list in a condition into a variable of your choice (you name the variable whatever you want) in case several devices are tripped. CoRE will provide a comma separated list of all devices matching the condition. Then use that to send a notification to yourself.

Correct, but while setting the virtual sensor to open (to trigger SHM) he can also send a notification with which underlying physical device is tripped. At the same time (ie after the wait/delay)

1 Like

I am having problem. Using IDE I created a virtual open/close sensor with type = Zwave Door/Window Sensor (also tried Simulated Contact Sensor). I followed the instructions here but when I go to this part:

Using ZZ Dummy contact…
—> Wait 15 seconds … could do this.
----> Open … how?? When I go to “Add task” I get all sorts of options but no Open or Close…

I like this idea and will give it a try. The only issue I have with it is that, in my experience, I tend to get SHM alerts quicker than I get CoRE notifications (if at all). I don’t think that is a CoRE issue, I think it is a SmartApp issue. I’ve had things that trigger just fine when done by a built-in routine but doing the exact same thing in CoRE may be delayed several minutes or hours if they ever run (my outdoor lights come to mind)

Great help so far. I have the delay set up but don’t know how to set it up so it doesn’t activate alarm once I disarm the system.

If you mean the siren device, the siren should be set to turn on when there is an intrusion (have a virtual switch trigger it), and off when the system is disarmed (Core piston can be triggered by “Smart Home Monitor changes to Disarmed”) and/or when the mode changes to home (can be done in the “Automate Lights & Switches” SmartApp).

How would I cancel a piston though? So say I have a15 second timer before alarm triggers. How can I set it so when I disarm my system it cancels the timer and piston all together.

This is how I had it set up to start no virtual switches yet. Didn’t know if I could go without them.