Dead HUB v1 - 2 years old... Huge Dissapointment!

All of a sudden my hub (V1) wont connect to ST servers… Solid blue led (sometimes it blinks).

Things Ive tried:
-New LAN cable
-New Port
-Different Router
-Plug / Unplug (with all iterations of modem and hub reboot)
-Different ISP (connected the HUB on a friends house)

Nothing seems to work…

I tried a V2 Hub I had new I was going to install to my parents house and it connected with no problem.

Any clues? I dont want to live with the idea that ST hardware have a 2 years live limit or have poor quality… So far Ive had a very good experience.

Ive contacted ST directly but so far no luck (and since is no longer under warranty no replacement offered)…

You got two years of operation out of a $99.00 piece of electronics from a kick starter company… and you’re disappointed? Really?

Well, I am sorry for your loss… but you’re probably going to be better off with a V2 hub anyway. But, hopefully support can help you out with recovering your V1.

2 Likes

Offcourse I am… how could I not? Im not a kick starter buyer expert but I do expect things to work and last. And is not only the 99 usd I spent on the HUB, are in the thousands I spent in the"smart things" I bought that now I cant use (autoamted).

I still hope support can help me figuring out. Just looking for extra help in the forums…

I think this link below is for Hub V2, but I’m sure the Warranty on Hub V1 is the same: 1 year.

One (1) Year Limited Warranty

SmartThings Inc. warrants this product (the ?Product?) against defects in material and/or workmanship under normal use for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of purchase by the original purchaser (?Warranty Period?). If a defect arises and a valid claim is received within the Warranty Period, then as your sole remedy (and SmartThings? sole liability), SmartThings will at its option either 1) repair the defect at no charge, using new or refurbished replacement parts, or 2) replace the Product with a new product that is functionally equivalent to the original, in each case within 30 days following receipt of the returned Product. A replacement product or part assumes the remaining warranty of the original Product.

EDIT: If you purchased with a Credit Card (e.g., various Amex, VISA, etc.), some of them automatically extend your Warranty by up to 1 year.

2 Likes

Contact customer support. There was a recent firmware update that may have failed to install.
If that is your situation - they can fix it.

2 Likes

It does seem to be out of warranty, which is unfortunate. But maybe support can do something for you. I still think 2 years is a good deal for version 1…

I’m not sure what we can do to help you though. After you set up and connected with the V2 did you retry the V1?

1 Like

Just curious, how long did you expect the hub to last before failing?

I believe V1 hubs don’t get firmware updates.

Good question, didnt expect. Do you? How long should I expect?

I feel your pain… I have a Surface Pro 3 that is two years old and the battery is on it’s last legs. I am getting quoted $400 to replace it out of warranty. I wish it was only $99 to replace. :frowning2:

Unfortunately nothing lasts… So what is your definition of “and last” mean to where it would not be a huge disappointment?

1 Like

Personally, having to redo everything is worse than paying for a new hub

7 Likes

You didn’t expect it to fail? As in, it would last forever?

Personally, if I get 2+ years out of a $99 piece of tech hardware I’d be content with that. Maybe I just have low standards these days.

2 Likes

Just another good reason to send another reminder to SmartThings Staff @Tyler that a Backup/Restore function is going to be desperately needed as these hubs start to show their age and fail.

I know when my hub fails and if there isn’t a backup restore available I will be looking to upgrade to a HomeSeer system simply because the amount of effort to redo everything. They have backup and restore.

2 Likes

Why shouldn’t he be? There’s no reason modern electronics cannot last 5-10 years or more. They don’t because of planned obsolescence. Designers design great products, but when a design goes to manufacturing the bean counters start forcing changes. Changes like moving resistor tolerance to 10% instead of 5% so save a few pennies, or using 15v capacitors for 12v circuits instead of 50v thus running much closer to tolerance and shortening component life, but saving 5 cents a part.

I have an X-10 lighting controller I purchased in 1986 and it was still working great (along with the modules) until I moved in 2015. If my hub died I would be upset too, although probably more so at the thought of re-pairing 260+ devices.

2 Likes

Aww come on guys. I’d be ok with, "This doesn’t work with v1 or no updates for better compatibility or whatever but out right stop working…

He has the right to be upset about that especially since there is no easy way to transfer over things. And what about removing the old devices from the Hub?

I’ve had a Pi for 3 years and it still works flawlessly and it was only $40 bucks but is just as important in my setup.

Now saying all of that, if my v2 went out today, I would throw up and probably would not invest the time again into setting all of this up…Well…Well…Oh screw it! WHY NOT!:joy:

I’m not saying not to be upset about it just dying, I agree with him there. I just had a 60 inch led tv die after three years… Sucks! Cause that was a bit more than 99.00.

But at the same time I know that tech is not built like it used to be. It’s disposable, plain and simple.

I expect everything to last exactly one day after the end of warranty, nothing more.

1 Like

Have you tried a different power supply yet? Can you ping the hub? (Try looking in your router’s DHCP logs to find out the IP address assigned to it.)

LMAO!!! That seems to be the case right!

2 Likes

I agree. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion and I certainly wouldn’t argue the OP’s is invalid or anything. But this is a reality of consumer electronic/network equipment these days.

1 Like

This is a good idea.

@frantona Let me know if you don’t get an easy resolution through our Support channel. I’ll make sure you’re taken care of.

Preaching to the choir here buddy :wink:

4 Likes