Dashboard Theming (Custom CSS) and Mounting Hardware Ideas

Does anyone know how I might pull the UVindex from the SmartWeather Station Tile 2.0 and display it in SmartTiles?

Thanks

Looks good! What is the case/wall mount you used?

SmartTiles currently only supports Attributes from the official SmartThings “Capabilities” list (and not even all of them… it’s a feature prioritizing task).

We’re thinking of ways that custom / ad hoc Attributes and Commands may be handled in the future, since the Capability list evolves too slowly.

1 Like

The nest weather device (part of nest manager 2.5) does export uvindex an attribute.

The earlier answer that SmartTiles will not look for it still holds…, but you could write your own smartapp to read it (if you use nest manager)

1 Like

looks good - thanks!

1 Like

Traffic!

Whilst looking at some CSS examples here: http://www.smarttiles.click/help/customizing-css/custom-css-gallery-page-2/ I noticed that @DarcRanger had a link within his CSS comments to a Google traffic page , that got me thinking. I’m aiming to put a SmartTiles tablet by the front door and having traffic as part of the SmartTile panel really appeals. So, here’s the results of my tinkering:

First of all the only way to accomplish this I’m aware is to utilise an image and then link that image using the “Stop Motion Video Stream” within SmartTiles. I think @625alex and @tgauchat maybe working on the ability to embed a web page but until then here’s a solution that may be of interest to the community.

Unfortunately I’ve not found a way to do this with Google Maps as they don’t provide a static map (an image) and allow you to overlay traffic information. Microsoft Bing groan however, do. You have to use their API but it’s not difficult to set up.

Here’s one of my SmartTiles showing you how it looks.

Head here to setup yourself with a Bing Maps API key: https://www.bingmapsportal.com
Sign in (you’ll need a Microsoft Login)
Select My Account -> My Keys
Click to create a new key
Give it a name
Ignore the Application URL
Key type=Basic
I selected DEV/TEST
Copy your newly created key

Next head over here: http://staticmapmaker.com/bing/

Use this useful page to generate the URL you will supply to the stop motion video feed in your tile. The easiest way to do this is use Google Maps, centre your required map and then copy the co-ordinates from the Google Maps URL, then paste that info into the above site. Change the rest of the settings to your needs (don’t forget to select traffic). Once you’re happy copy the URL and use that as your stop motion video feed.

Further info:

Bing Maps is not free, but if you consume fewer than 125,000 transactions in a 12-month period you shouldn’t have an issue. Either way read the T’s and C’s:

http://www.mapslicensing.com

So, if you refreshed the map every 15 minutes that would be 96 times a day which is about 35,000 transaction per year, If my calculations are right that’s well within your free usage rights (I think).

If you have other stop motion cameras then it might be useful to understand if you can apply a different refresh rate to the traffic tile via custom CSS in order that it is refreshed less than your cameras thus avoiding excessive API calls.

6 Likes

Maintaining Theme Colors when Customizing CSS Icons

I’ve been customizing my dashboard which is based on Onyx Theme Thanks to @diehllane for the guide. How I get the customized Icons to follow the Theme’s color rules? All of the changed icons only change from grey to white instead of red.

1 Like

Custom icons will need to be created and uploaded/stored with the different color options so you can select what you need.

The FA (FontAwesome) icons work with CSS to change the color because they are regarded as a character (since it’s a font) rather than an image.

1 Like

Does anyone know if it is possible to have different refresh periods for static image video cameras?

Currently not an available feature, sorry…

1 Like

Hi Guys, I’m using an android tablet (4.4.2) to run SmartTiles. I originally had a problem with the wireless crashing out very so often, but I wrote custom script in Automate to check connectivity and toggle the wireless if it dropped.

This revealed another issue where my three foscam video screens would freeze to a grey screen. A simple tap of the refresh tile gets them back up.

I was wondering if any of you have a suggestion to automatically refresh the web browser (or something I’m SmartTiles) every minute so so to avoid the issue.

Thanks in advance,

Jo

Browsers such as full screen browser have the option to auto refresh after a set interval.

How did you setup the light scenes? My house is all Hue lighting and I’ve been trying to get it setup with scenes - I still have to use my Hue Tap for now :frowning:

any input would be appreciated! thanks!!!

1 Like

Here’s my similar approach. The frame is custom made and mounted onto the tablet. The tablet is clipped into a modified wall mount built from an old case. The frame and tablet can be pulled off of the wall together as a remote control panel. I used this Aukey charger because it was the slimmest I could find.

Aukey Qi Wireless Charging Pad for all Qi-Enabled Devices https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019WEURSY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_sqzJxbF3RW1AD

Now, who can give me some guidance on how to force my tiles to be centered on the screen? Is there some way to force a margin?

2 Likes

Thanks, I thought I’d cracked it withe the full screen browser app as per your recommendation. Sadly the app seems to crash wholesale every hour.

Can I ask what others experiences are here? I can’t seem to get a combo of automate and browser functions to keep the hone dashboard alive at all times.

Thanks again in advance

@harrij4 I believe both my tablet and android phone I’m using as smarttiles displays are running kiosk fully browser. It has worked great for me. There’s an option in the settings to refresh every ??? Seconds. I currently have it set for 300 on my phone, not sure on tablet. Since doing this on the phone I have not had to log back in for the past week.

I’m sure I just jinxed it. Guess we’ll see tonight!

I can help you more if you need. Currently at work so can’t actually look at anything till later. I can check the actual kiosk app when I get home just let me know.

I tagged the wrong person. Ooops. Supposed to be answer for @Jon_Hope question. Typing on a phone and relying on my OLD MAN memory for what I read. Doesn’t always work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Has anyone lost their custom CSS? All my icons and special font colors are no longer on the dashboard and my custom CSS file is totally corrupt.

Yep. Mine got wiped.

1 Like

Yes… SmartThings platform issue: SmartTiles v5.8: Deployed to Blue & Green Editions. Release notes, etc. (follow this Topic for updates...) - #334 by BeeBee

This seems to be fixed now. I had to go in and delete my existing custom CSS code and replace it, but all is working now. I am new to HA and i’m just getting started with all this stuff but I will go ahead and post a screenshot of what my tile setup looks like on android, the platform that my main navigation controller uses. I have links from my primary page to a page listing my remaining battery percentages, another displaying only all switches, and a third displaying only all lights. I haven’t gotten my tablet mounted yet, but that is currently in the works, as well replacing many more switches all around the house, with z wave enabled ones. Please keep in mind that this is still a work in progress.

>

7 Likes