Danalock installed

It turns out you can configure and operate the danalock with the app via BT even if you buy the z-wave only version. Now I have everything working with the standard z-wave lock device type. No change with respect to manual locking not passing lock state.

Any owners care to comment on the build quality and appearance of the Danalock? I’ve heard it’s kind of cheap looking.

I think the build quality is fine. The only problem I have is the $25 shipping. It is nice having the Bluetooth and zwave. I will be glad when Smartthings has setting for it.

In my case the appearance did not pass the “wife acceptance factor” so this lock will probably be relegated to the door to the garage once something better comes along. It’s all plastic on the outside, and much of the inside as well. I had a couple of physical installation issues due to the plastic bracket it mounts to and the plastic gears inside as well. At the end of the day it works fine for $99 plus shipping.

For those of you that got the Danalock working with the hub (@av8rdude, @acastal, ??), please let me know if you have any advise for getting mine to work. I was able to pair it to the hub and change the device type to z-wave lock, but the lock/unlock commands via ST do not cause the Danalock to lock/unlock. I tried power cycling the hub (which seems unnecessary but was mentioned by one user), but no luck. I know Danalock is waiting to receive their ST hub and they should have support soon, but it would be great if I could find help here in the meantime.

@Ryan - - Have you installed it yet? I noticed that there is a contact sensor and I don’t know if the commands work with it not installed. I think you can just hold that contact in with your thumb to test maybe?

@acastal - I tried it first uninstalled (had lock close to hub for pairing) and then again installed. I know that my multi-sensor, which is on the same door, is communicating with the hub, so I’m not ready to attribute the error to location when installed. I wouldn’t mind trying again with the lock in hand near the hub … where is the contact sensor that you mentioned?

@Ryan - I think the contact is on the back so when it is tight to the door the the contact closes. I’m not positive about this however so hopefully it’s not a waste of effort on your part :confused: Have you checked the logs? I get a poll in the log every 6 min:

9:00:04 AM PST: debug poll is sending [‘9881008002’, ‘delay 6000’], state: [‘code13’:’’, ‘code12’:’’, ‘code11’:’’, ‘assoc’:1, ‘code10’:’’, ‘code20’:’’, ‘code9’:’’, ‘code6’:’’, ‘code5’:’’, ‘code8’:’’, ‘code7’:’’, ‘code2’:’’, ‘codes’:20, ‘code1’:’’, ‘code18’:’’, ‘code4’:’’, ‘code3’:’’, ‘code19’:’’, ‘code16’:’’, ‘code17’:’’, ‘code14’:’’, ‘code15’:’’, ‘lastPoll’:1393344902535]
2832119c-54c2-47d5-9b58-85e06074f311 8:54:05 AM PST: debug poll is sending [‘9881008002’, ‘delay 6000’], state: [‘code13’:’’, ‘code12’:’’, ‘code11’:’’, ‘assoc’:1, ‘code10’:’’, ‘code20’:’’, ‘code9’:’’, ‘code6’:’’, ‘code5’:’’, ‘code8’:’’, ‘code7’:’’, ‘code2’:’’, ‘codes’:20, ‘code1’:’’, ‘code18’:’’, ‘code4’:’’, ‘code3’:’’, ‘code19’:’’, ‘code16’:’’, ‘code17’:’’, ‘code14’:’’, ‘code15’:’’, ‘lastPoll’:1393344902535]

@acastal - I’m not seeing a poll in activity or in the log console. I see multiple polls in the events list sent with a timestamp close to when I initially tried to set it up, but nothing with a list of code and assoc values like in yours. For example: “poll is sending [85010201, 98810085010101, 850202, delay 6000, 988100850201, delay 6000]”

@Ryan - You could look in the IDE at the device for activity. If you don’t see any the only idea I have is to try to exclude and then re-pair the lock.

Yeah, the activity was one sided, so I excluded the lock but now it won’t include again (even after a factory reset of the lock). Sigh.

To follow up on my contributions to this thread. I was able to exclude the danalock. This helped: https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/200957650-My-lock-won-t-connect-to-SmartThings. My attempt to exclude the danalock directly from the Things menu wasn’t working, the general exclusion was the way to go. Once excluded, I was able to pair it again and change the device type to z-wave lock. From there, I was able to get the hub to lock and unlock the danalock. Unfortunately, now, the challenge is having the hub within the short range needed for a functional connection. I am also looking forward to any direct support SmartThings can add for danalock.

Hopefully I am the only one having this difficulty but now (staring a month or so ago) the polling of my Danalock reports incorrectly that it is unlocked. It’s not a huge issue now that I know otherwise but when driving away for the weekend and having the the front door appear unlocked (and lock attempts reporting unlocked immediately after locked) was quite frustrating. I too am looking forward to direct support. This lock was hyped in the CES video right? :slight_smile:

Well, I spoke too soon. The danalock lost connection with the hub and now I am back to being unable to exclude/include the danalock to the hub. This has definitely been a frustrating experience.

acastal - Given that the danalock is unable to activate the auto lock feature in response to a physical key opening the lock, I am going to guess that the danalock does not have the ability to detect its state when manually locked/unlocked. Part of the reason I am working so hard to set up the z-wave network is to make sure the thing is always locked when the door is closed.

Yes it does not know about manual locking and unlocking. I stopped carrying a key and re-arranged my wifi (better signal outside the front door) so it will always be unlocked through the software (and thus re-lock itself). But even when locked through software or button press I get false unlock messages and display through polling which I find very odd and annoying. I’m going to swap it out for something better soon hopefully.

Given my issues, I’ve been in touch with SmartThings customer service. I just heard that they pushed some changes so the lock now pairs as “Danalock,” has a battery tile, and removes some stuff that Danalock doesn’t use (like keycodes). It seems that you have to exclude the lock and pair it again with the hub to get the update (which I don’t take lightly given my experience), but might be worth trying to see if get any improvement. I look forward to August entering the scene…

Thanks for the info about the Danalock device type. I changed it through the IDE and it seems to work…sort of. The battery tile is just
"–" and my polling/false unlocked status remain the same. I figured out I don’t need to wait for it to poll, if I just hit the Refresh tile that seems to force the poll and thus the false unlocked message/status :frowning:

Happy to share the info. After multiple exclude attempts and another factory reset or two, I was able to get our Danalock excluded from the z-wave network (it really shouldn’t be this difficult) and then added again as a Danalock (hooray new device type). I installed the hub within a 10 foot range and the hub now is able to send a lock command to the Danalock in response to the multi sensor detecting that the door was opened and closed. I note that the battery tile is not yet working for me either - also see the --. SmartThings support indicates that this may take some time to get a proper reading and provide a value. I am hopeful that Danalock and SmartThings will continue to work together to improve the functionality of the two devices. It would be nice to access the lock settings through the SmartThings app and, of course, a more reliable lock/unlock status. In the meantime, here are my main lessons learned to share: Have the Danalock very close to the hub when adding/excluding the Danalock from the SmartThings network, excluding the Danalock can be difficult after adding and losing connection with hub, Danalock should be within an approximate range of 10 feet from hub to not lose connection, and, when in doubt, trying over and over again and using factory resets of the danalock seemed to get the thing to finally cooperate :slight_smile:

@ryanwelliott

Your Danalock is Z-Wave but the SmartSense Multi Sensor is ZigBee. Thus, you probably need to get another Z-Wave powered device between your lock and hub to address your connectivity issue.

It can be difficult figuring out why a Z-Wave signal is strong some places yet weak others. Maybe Danalock has the antennae behind metal. If you have a metal door, it may impact the signal strength. Aeon warns not to install their devices on metal for this reason. However, in my experience it does not always affect it.

The hub has lost control of my Danalock. I don’t see a way to put the Danalock into Exclusion mode so I can try a reconnect. Also, even if I “Force Remove” the lock in the app the lock tile is not removed from the Things screen. Do I just keep factory resetting the Danalock and keep forcing removal? Any help is appreciated.