Custom Capability and CLI Developer Preview

I created a capability with 2 states, only 1 appears in detailView.

Looking at ST standard capabilities, e.g. “Signal Strength”, it has 2 states, and it appears as a single state card, the values are horizontal, and not what we would expect - 2 state cards vertical down.

I might be wrong, it seems to be 1 per capability.

Removing the presentationId and manufacturerName work for me.

1 Like

I see what you mean. I was unable to create a new configuration and then realized that the API was including two new attributes in the consolidated configuration it was generating, but wasn’t being accepted back by the API. As @hongtat suggested try removing those two attributes and then create the config.

@erickv another bug with the list in detailView. It doesn’t show the state based on the attribute value, instead it shows the command from the attribute value. I’m using your todo sample to check this.
So when the attribute value changes, the display control displays the value from the command alternatives instead of the state alternatives. I believe the display control should be showing the value from the state alternatives on screen when the attribute value changes. (the command selection drop down list is using the value from the command alternatives correctly).

1 Like

That doesn’t work

Now it is working for me as well when removing those 2 attributes. I know for sure it wasn’t working before. I’m guessing they fixed it without telling us.

Still, pretty crappy that we have to figure this crap out on our own instead of them telling us how.

1 Like

@erickv None of the switches (switch, toggleSwitch, standbyPowerSwitch) or pushButton controls are triggering any commands (setter or direct) through detailView (spent the better part of 6 hours trying every possible combination). This is fairly roadblocking issue since a the switch is a very basic control and with nothing working I don’t see any other alternative. It has been quite a while since it was reported and now we have less than 5 weeks to shutdown of the Classic app. Can we have an ETA when it will start working?

7 Likes

I was in the same boat as you. I spent a big chunk of one of my days trying to decipher this new implementation.
It would be nice if they could slow down some and actually test this stuff before publishing documentation.

10 Likes

Hey all, sorry for being clueless on this error, but after updating to the latest CLI release I’m now getting the following error:

[ERROR] cli - caught error Error: Request failed with status code 401: "<html>\r\n<head><title>401 Authorization Required</title></head>\r\n<body>\r\n<center><h1>401 Authorization Required</h1></center>\r\n<hr><center>openresty</center>\r\n</body>\r\n</html>\r\n"

Thinking it would help, I saw “smartthings-cli” as a linked service in the new app, and removed it. That didn’t help.

I also created a new token, but I have no idea how/where it should be used.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

@jody.albritton

You token needs to go in the config file located in %userprofile%\AppData\Local\@smartthings\cli

default:
        token: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
1 Like

Thanks @RBoy, I literally just found that documentation. I also added --token=xxx to the ends of the commands and that worked too.

Gentle Reminder:

If you come across any kind documentation issues or bugs that you cannot get an answer for here in the community, please send an email to build@smartthings.com so that we can get tickets started.

2 Likes

I have come to find out that custom capabilities still do not support automations yet. If I use standard capabilities then they show up in the automations.

@nayelyz any clue as to when we can expect them to work in the new app?

1 Like

I have managed to convert one of my custom devices (RTI audio system) to work nicely in the new app (YEAH!).
I’ve noticed that the icons in the dashboard can be greyed out when off with some devices, and some even animated when on (i.e. Sonos is playing). Is there a way of controlling this from my devices? It seems that regardless of my switch in the off or on position, the dashboard icon is always in colour.

Also, is there any official list of icons that we can set for the dashboard?

1 Like

Thanks. I didn’t know that.

Just sent philh30’s known issues list.

1 Like

So I am working on converting a classic Smartthings HTD via the CLI. However…I get an unexpected server error when attempting to create a capabilities via the CLI. Even just polling my stuff gives me an error. The authentication webpage pops up, but error in CLI. Any ideas?

Well, I didn’t read through all the pages…but seems the token can be added to the CLI config file, I will try that (I have a personal token that I created, I presume that is okay to use here).

Hello @crazylukedog,
Yes, you should use your Personal Access Token, make sure it has the corresponding scopes for the different endpoints. Take a look at this post above as a reference for the configuration file or the token parameter in the command.

Did you ever figure this error out? I’m getting the same thing too.

EDIT : saw you other post just now about removing those 2 lines. Works now, but like you said, sucks we have to figure this stuff out ourselves.

1 Like

Noob here just wanted to help out with testing/updating some DTH’s. It seems that the developer workspace requires a registration with a company, is there any option at this time to just join the “Smartthings Developer Community” company or something so we can play around with this functionality?

Make up your own name and register it as an organization.

(the wording makes it seem its more restrictive than it actually is)

1 Like

You don’t need to use the Developer Workspace for messing with DTHs. It gains you nothing.

However should you wish to explore, you don’t need to be part of a company. You can register your own organisation.

1 Like