Current Device Deals & Best Prices (link to new thread at bottom of thread)

This is the older lightstrip they are getting off the shelves. The newer one is the Lightstrip plus (Shape Light) which is much much brighter (1600 lumens).

1 Like

Still a deal but as you said, important to know it’s not the Plus!

1 Like

Looking for a true Android alternative to the $49 Kindle ? While I know nothing about this tablet or brand, the 200MB of free T-mobile data for life would make it a great control center if you are worried about losing home internet service .

Link for $0.99 T-Mobile sim card with 200mb/month of free data ( Code SIM99 at checkout)

No clue if Bayit devices will work in ST, but Staples has a big sale on them this weekend. Smart outlet $32 , IP Cam $67 , and LED Bulb starter kit with hub $63

http://www.staples.com/All-Home-Automation/cat_CL216639?fids=4225034462&sr=true&sby=&min=&max=

do you have the model number or the link to Amazon?

Bayit is a cheaper WeMo type pocket socket plus bulb. Has its own app. Doesn’t integrate with anything else that I can see. No I FTTT channel, no API. I’m not saying it would be impossible to hack an integration, but you’d have to be pretty technical.

It looked like a cheap Wemo, but I didn’t dig far enough to see if one of our resident brains had hacked them :smile:

The color changing bulbs at $63, are cheap enough to just use for holiday decorations. About 1/3 the price of comparable Hue kit.

sweet! thanks.
hey
any idea if we could get this deal with another device, or is the deal specifically attached to this tab?

also, I’d love to get a redundant internet connection for emergencies, etc. any chance anyone knows the ins and outs of using something like this for that (i.e. auto failover, etc).

I know it’s not much data and couldn’t count on it for actual regular usage, but it seems like it would be enough to ensure SmartThings connectivity continuity if there were a way of failing over to its shared WiFi hot-spot.

ideas?

note: I will, of course, eventually just get a router with dual wan ports, etc, but just thinking like a poor guy for a minute. :slight_smile:

1st Gen Philips Hue A19 bulbs are $41.99 on clearance at Best Buy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/philips-hue-add-on-a19-led-light-bulb-40w-equivalent-white/2793067.p?acampID=0&ref=8575135&loc=0&id=1219077324908&skuId=2793067

1 Like

Ok, so I installed three of the Iris Contact sensors just a few days ago. I was curious about the battery life and today they all three dropped down to 88%
 I’m not sure how long they will stay at that amount, but I don’t like that they have already dropped down.

So far, I’m really liking the GoControl contact sensors. They were the first ones that I set up and they are still reporting 100% on the batteries. Of course next week they my start reporting 50%.

I wonder if the added temp sensor in the Iris contacts is an extra drain on the batteries

SmartThings reports battery level in tiers. the first tier below 100 is 88%. And so it’s really typical to see 88% a day or so after you install any new device. And it stays there for a long time until it hits the next tier. And if it’s fluctuating right on the edge of the tier you’ll see it jump back-and-forth by about 10% for awhile. :sunglasses:

The thing is to watch the trend. If it’s dropping 10% every week, there’s a problem. But if it just makes a quick drop and stays there, you just hit the next tier.

Yeah, but going from 100 to 88 in only a couple of days doesn’t seem that good.

I know the Quirky Trippers hit 66% within 2 weeks.

We’ll see how these go
 and they may go back to Lowe’s
 but I really do like the temp sensor in them

It’s a tier drop. If it goes from 100% to 99% it will be reported as “88%.”

88% in SmartThings just means “less than 100% but more than 87%.” :wink:

1 Like

ok
 that’s make more sense
 lol
 remember
 it’s already getting late out here in the east.

Plus they are the batteries that came with it, who knows how long they have been sitting. I think @JDRoberts is right that it will probably sit at 88 for a while.
Scott

1 Like

The 200MB plan is good for any device you bring to T-Mobile ( including hotspots) . I actually picked up 3 ( 2 phone and 1 tablet) of them for the $0.99 each. I plan on trying one of them in the dog’s GPS collar. Save me the $19/month AT&T charges for dog having her own phone line for the couple times a year she hops the fence and I need to go chasing a husky around town. She doesn’t really need the unlimited talk/text anyways.

2 Likes

Ok, that helps me too
 I saw the same thing with my Iris motion sensor, and thought that it was going to run out of juice after only a month or two!

FIrst off
wow! How big is your dog
or how small of a phone did you get that it ‘fits’ on their collar? lol

Seriously though. That’s very good to know.
Now I just need to find those tiny, ninty-nine-cent phones and a way of integrating one of them with my internet setup as a fail-over device of some sort.

Thanks!

Could anyone recommend an open/close sensor that is smaller in size? I have the monoprice ones for some doors and wondering if any other manufacture produces ones that are a bit smaller in size which would be suitable for windows, By "suitable " I mean a sensor that would be smaller in size that would make inconspicuous.

“Inconspicuous” is highly subjective. The new Iris-branded sensors from Lowe’s are much smaller than the monoprice sensors, but they’re not exactly unnoticeable. The Quirky Trippers (available at Home Depot) are also much lower profile, but again, quite visible.